Translink & 0.5% vote (merged)

Dec. 22, 2014, 7:55 a.m.

It would be a better idea to toll the bridges going into downtown not the ones from the outer cities.

That would never happen. Vancouver people wouldn't allow it.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2014, 7:59 a.m.

Vancouver people suck

www.natooke.com

Dec. 22, 2014, 9:04 a.m.

Is that a new bridge with or without a toll?

Wanna bet that the replacement Pattullo bridge [HTML_REMOVED] bridge replacement for the Massey tunnel both have tolls on them?

That will leave the Alex Fraser as the only non-tolled Fraser bridge (west of the Mission/Abbotsford bridge), people think it is a gong show now, just wait…

Dec. 22, 2014, 10:37 a.m.

Of course.

Business wants to centralize in the downtown core, and it's expensive to get there from the suburbs (it's also expensive to park there). Meanwhile, most of the people who do the dirty jobs in the downtown core can only afford to live in the suburbs. Lots of trades people have to get into the core too. Maybe if they spend more money on bicycle paths it will make things better for these people….

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

HVAC Mechanics can trade-in the company van for a rickshaw.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Dec. 22, 2014, 12:24 p.m.

HVAC Mechanics can trade-in the company van for a rickshaw.

i'm actually looking for a sturdy and reltively light hardtail just for this purpose. i picked up a free chariot this year and have added a plywood bottom to it so i can pack tools to jobs on the bicycle. of course i won't be able to load it up too much but it would allow me to commute by bike to the worksite with a tool belt, circular saw and some cordless tools/batteries as well. i wouldn't do this all the time as it wouldn't alwyas be possible, but if it takes an extra 15 min or so by bike, then it would be worthwhile imo.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 22, 2014, 1:07 p.m.

i'm actually looking for a sturdy and reltively light hardtail just for this purpose.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=40849[HTML_REMOVED]title=cove-stiffeeretro-2fxtr-2fbomber-mint-21-26quot-3b[HTML_REMOVED]cat=12

Dec. 22, 2014, 1:43 p.m.

nice little image, and it brings up a few things that haven't been mentioned in this thread. translink doesn't just do transit. they're the regional transportation authority for all of metro vancouver. so, increased funds go to transit service and transit specific infastructure, but also towards other forms of infrastructure - for cars, buses and peds - and programming to encourage the latter two and discourage the former

lots of good stuff here: http://www.movinginalivableregion.ca

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 22, 2014, 1:47 p.m.

i'm actually looking for a sturdy and reltively light hardtail just for this purpose. i picked up a free chariot this year and have added a plywood bottom to it so i can pack tools to jobs on the bicycle. of course i won't be able to load it up too much but it would allow me to commute by bike to the worksite with a tool belt, circular saw and some cordless tools/batteries as well. i wouldn't do this all the time as it wouldn't alwyas be possible, but if it takes an extra 15 min or so by bike, then it would be worthwhile imo.

Couldn't you just put your drilldo in a backpack and take the bus?

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 22, 2014, 2:04 p.m.

Used to see plenty of the people on the bus and tube in London with these

For some reason best know to me I've just read this whole thread and am now even more confused.

Shredding hypothetical gnarr

Dec. 22, 2014, 6:13 p.m.

Of course.

Business wants to centralize in the downtown core, and it's expensive to get there from the suburbs (it's also expensive to park there). Meanwhile, most of the people who do the dirty jobs in the downtown core can only afford to live in the suburbs. Lots of trades people have to get into the core too. Maybe if they spend more money on bicycle paths it will make things better for these people….

People can adapt. 1 vehicle with all the equipment pays the toll and drives to the jobsite. Workers take transit in, or drive part of the way, park and take transit into the core. Or even carpool in a minivan.

Has commerce in London completely dried up since introducing congestion charges?

www.natooke.com

Dec. 22, 2014, 6:23 p.m.

Used to see plenty of the people on the bus and tube in London with these

For some reason best know to me I've just read this whole thread and am now even more confused.

If I left my saw horses at home, I might be able to squeeze my hand tools into 2 of those.

Dec. 22, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

O Meanwhile, most of the people who do the dirty jobs in the downtown core can only afford to live in the suburbs. Lots of trades people have to get into the core too. Maybe if they spend more money on bicycle paths - built like a moving airport walkway - it will make things better for these people….

fyp

Yah I've always felt there was class bias in Mayor Moonbeams efforts to suck up to his effete city voter base.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:41 a.m.

I have a better idea- let's optimize CBD transportation around tradesmen who use more than hand tools and say FU to the other 99.9999%….errr not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Dec. 23, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

People can adapt. 1 vehicle with all the equipment pays the toll and drives to the jobsite. Workers take transit in, or drive part of the way, park and take transit into the core. Or even carpool in a minivan.

Has commerce in London completely dried up since introducing congestion charges?

People have adapted. They live further away Whetter the rent and housing prices are cheaper.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells