Translink & 0.5% vote (merged)

Dec. 16, 2014, 2 p.m.

In places like London and Singapore, private vehicles pay a hefty fee to drive into the Central Business District during rush hour.

We are neither London nor Singapore. Not to mention that to get through Vancouver you pretty much have no choice but to cut through downtown. Imagine trying to explain to the tourists why they have to pay $10 to drive through downtown to get to Whistler.

Dec. 16, 2014, 4:06 p.m.

We are neither London nor Singapore. Not to mention that to get through Vancouver you pretty much have no choice but to cut through downtown. Imagine trying to explain to the tourists why they have to pay $10 to drive through downtown to get to Whistler.

Oh the Drama …

No entire city anywhere is included in congestion charges … in Singapore the congestion zone is just 6 sq kilometers, in London its about 1.3% of the city. In Singapore passenger cars having multiple occupants, taxis, public buses and service vehicles are exempt. Its the bare minimum to make people consider other options, like public transit and also open the most congested areas of the city to commercial traffic.

No matter what your schedule it is possible to get to Whistler from Vancouver without going through Granville and Pender during rush hour.

Dec. 16, 2014, 5:40 p.m.

Broken down bus on the way to work, broken down bus on the way from work. Lol

Dec. 16, 2014, 8:19 p.m.

No entire city anywhere is included in congestion charges … in Singapore the congestion zone is just 6 sq kilometers, in London its about 1.3% of the city. In Singapore passenger cars having multiple occupants, taxis, public buses and service vehicles are exempt. Its the bare minimum to make people consider other options, like public transit and also open the most congested areas of the city to commercial traffic.

No matter what your schedule it is possible to get to Whistler from Vancouver without going through Granville and Pender during rush hour.

That's true, but you have to have a road network that accommodates what you're talking about. London has a ring road for example. So if you're going to redirect traffic from YVR over to say the second narrows you're going to need a way to do that effectively. And my experience is that those approaches to the #1 are actually pretty congested as well. As it stands now, even during the peak of Vancouver traffic, the fastest route YVR-Whistler may still be straight through downtown.

I lived in London when the Congestion Charge came into effect and I can attest that it was effective at redirecting traffic. But you have to think a bit about what that really means.

Dec. 16, 2014, 8:20 p.m.

Tourists to Vancouver likely have some international experience and would not find it unreasonable. Vancouver isn't London or Singapore but it's still up there in the list of world class cities where policies designed to discourage motorists from clogging the core are commonplace.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 17, 2014, 1:16 a.m.

I understand we are taxed quite low compared to other countries; we have horrible traffic and weak public transit as-well….

It would be nice if Translink and ICBC could work together and put some of that surplus to good use, but it ain't gonna happen.

I think 60% of BC's population lives in Metro Vancouver and probably close 75% of BC's population is affected by the traffic / transit at least a few times per month.

Let's just get it done. It probably costs more to have those fuckwits talk about talking about making a plan to plan the meeting to decide to talk about how to spend your money anyway.

Dec. 20, 2014, 5:12 a.m.

I'm going to be driving home tomorrow for Christmas, and I'll be bringing my girlfriend who has never been to Vancouver (or Canada for that matter).

I would like to drive through downtown and show her the city. If there were a $10 fee, we wouldn't do this. A different municipality would get our time and money instead.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 20, 2014, 5:53 a.m.

I'm going to be driving home tomorrow for Christmas, and I'll be bringing my girlfriend who has never been to Vancouver (or Canada for that matter).

I would like to drive through downtown and show her the city. If there were a $10 fee, we wouldn't do this. A different municipality would get our time and money instead.

lol…

You're going to deny your gf the chance to see one of the world's most beautiful cities because you can't spend 10 bucks of your flush mining salary you like to brag about. The different municipality can have you. Cities work better when they are designed for the people who actually live there, not for the people that want to drive through them as quickly as possible.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 20, 2014, 7:57 a.m.

lol…

You're going to deny your gf the chance to see one of the world's most beautiful cities because you can't spend 10 bucks of your flush mining salary you like to brag about. The different municipality can have you. Cities work better when they are designed for the people who actually live there, not for the people that want to drive through them as quickly as possible.

Yes. We don't believe that the public should have to pay to use our land. If we had to pay extra to go downtown, we would just drive over to Lonsdale and look across the harbor at the city.

You talk about cities being set up for those who live there. Are you suggesting that only those who are not residents of downtown be taxed to go there?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 20, 2014, 8:24 a.m.

There's a $10 fee.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 20, 2014, 6:58 p.m.

You talk about cities being set up for those who live there. Are you suggesting that only those who are not residents of downtown be taxed to go there?

If they want to drive there then yes. Downtown van is already clogged on weekends by out of town motorists.

Maybe this will encourage them to park elsewhere and take public transit in.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 20, 2014, 9:38 p.m.

Broken down bus on the way to work, broken down bus on the way from work. Lol

Uni Tows' big rigs are never idle. :lol:

Downtown van is already clogged on weekends by out of town motorists.

Fuckin' hillbillies, eh?!

From what I've read and heard, the system works on rapid transit systems in a bunch of other areas, but what hadn't been done is put it on buses.

Yeah the yanks (down in Seattle) got it figured out.
Zone system in effect on light rail/skytrain/whatever 'cause all the terminals are hardwired so no connection giltchs.
Buses are tap in/tap out(?) one fare covering entire transit system 'cause there's a cost borne by the user which is their time as it takes much longer to go the same distance on a bus as it does by rail/skytrain.
Oh no not in BC though where the owning classes squeeze 12 cents outta' every dime the rest of us have.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 21, 2014, 10:33 p.m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSMBA member.

Dec. 21, 2014, 11:12 p.m.

Is that a new bridge with or without a toll?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 22, 2014, 5:01 a.m.

Is that a new bridge with or without a toll?

It would be a better idea to toll the bridges going into downtown not the ones from the outer cities.

www.natooke.com