Translink & 0.5% vote (merged)

Dec. 23, 2014, 6:46 p.m.

i'm actually looking for a sturdy and reltively light hardtail just for this purpose. i picked up a free chariot this year and have added a plywood bottom to it so i can pack tools to jobs on the bicycle. of course i won't be able to load it up too much but it would allow me to commute by bike to the worksite with a tool belt, circular saw and some cordless tools/batteries as well. i wouldn't do this all the time as it wouldn't alwyas be possible, but if it takes an extra 15 min or so by bike, then it would be worthwhile imo.

Great idea…but how does that relate to what an HVAC mechanic carries in his van?

Dec. 23, 2014, 7 p.m.

Some people act like tolls and other fees the rest of the world has accepted for years will bankrupt everyone and lead to the collapse of civilization.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 23, 2014, 7:05 p.m.

Great idea…but how does that relate to what an HVAC mechanic carries in his van?

it doesn't.

that comment was in relation to punky's line about carrying your tools in a rickshaw. for me, with extra carrying capacity such as with a chariot, i can bike to work and take some tools/supplies with me. it was just a statement saying that for me the truck isn't always necessary and i can and do use an alternative.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2014, 7:06 p.m.

Some people act like tolls and other fees the rest of the world has accepted for years will bankrupt everyone and lead to the collapse of civilization.

the argument there is death by a thousand cuts.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

i'd really like to know how those stats were tabulated or how they sourced the info for them.

some of it comes from translink's annual reports. a lot of the information is derived from external sources (kpmg does the books, outside boards and associations establish evaluation frameworks) but the reports are done in house

some comes from outside publications. for example i recognize a few of the comparative stats from taras grescoe's big book on worldwide transit a few years ago, though of course he likely got them from other sources and would credit them in the book: straphanger

google around and i'm sure you'll be able to track down a primary source for most if not all pretty easily

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 23, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

google around and i'm sure you'll be able to track down a primary source for most if not all pretty easily

but we have you here for that sort of stuff.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:36 p.m.

Yes. We don't believe that the public should have to pay to use our land. If we had to pay extra to go downtown, we would just drive over to Lonsdale and look across the harbor at the city.

You talk about cities being set up for those who live there. Are you suggesting that only those who are not residents of downtown be taxed to go there?

LOL

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:39 p.m.

but we have you here for that sort of stuff.

happy to help, but if you start ranting about pedestrians paying too much attention to their iphones i'm outta here

I would like to drive through downtown and show her the city. If there were a $10 fee, we wouldn't do this. A different municipality would get our time and money instead.

wow, talk about proof of concept! awesome, stick to the highways; no one here will miss you

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Dec. 23, 2014, 8:47 p.m.

happy to help, but if you start ranting about pedestrians paying too much attention to their iphones i'm outta here

ha!

as much as you might dislike that, it's a fact these days in the downtown core and to a lesser degree elsewhere. i always keep my eye out for pedestrians because i expect them to do stupid things, but in reality pedestrians should be paying a greater level of attention when they're out and about.

as a pedestrian i don't take the right of way for granted at all because i know if i get hit by a wayward driver that my broken leg/pelvis/back/skull is going to end up hurting way more than a car's dented fender or bumper. i think it's sad that more pedestrians don't take greater accountability for their own safety. some may call that a cold attitude, i just call it smart thinking and a heightened sense of self preservation.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 24, 2014, 1:42 a.m.

it doesn't.

that comment was in relation to punky's line about carrying your tools in a rickshaw. for me, with extra carrying capacity such as with a chariot, i can bike to work and take some tools/supplies with me. it was just a statement saying that for me the truck isn't always necessary and i can and do use an alternative.

there's no way I could do that. Fortunately my trips downtown are few and far between ;)

Dec. 24, 2014, 11:19 p.m.

ha!

as much as you might dislike that, it's a fact these days in the downtown core and to a lesser degree elsewhere. i always keep my eye out for pedestrians because i expect them to do stupid things, but in reality pedestrians should be paying a greater level of attention when they're out and about.

as a pedestrian i don't take the right of way for granted at all because i know if i get hit by a wayward driver that my broken leg/pelvis/back/skull is going to end up hurting way more than a car's dented fender or bumper. i think it's sad that more pedestrians don't take greater accountability for their own safety. some may call that a cold attitude, i just call it smart thinking and a heightened sense of self preservation.

Do not despair. The pedestrians here will eventually be disciplined by newly arrived drivers from mainland China. :devil: :lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 25, 2014, 4:41 p.m.

Do not despair. The pedestrians here will eventually be disciplined by newly arrived drivers from mainland China. :devil: :lol:

Mainland drivers are used to people walking out in front of them. It's the mainland Chinese pedestrians that get disciplined.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 26, 2014, 1:09 p.m.

Its annoying when i got a j-walk timed out perfectly and some idiot stops.. like bro you ruined the whole thing

Dec. 26, 2014, 7:30 p.m.

Its annoying when i got a j-walk timed out perfectly and some idiot stops.. like bro you ruined the whole thing

My last visit to Vancouver I attempted to jaywalk and everyone stopped. It scared the shit out of me. So much I stood there for a second not knowing what to do until one guy honked and waved at me furiously to cross. I scurried across all embarrassed then everyone drove off angrily.

That and when I was riding my bike up hills I noticed cars waited to turn right until after I passed them even though they had all the time in the world. Then they would get stuck behind me as there isn't enough room on Vancouver side roads for a car to safely pass a cyclist.

Me stopping and waving at cars to go just elicited annoyed and confused expressions.

Vancouverites are weird.

www.natooke.com

Dec. 27, 2014, 12:52 a.m.

You musta' x'd paths with the timid and the PC in that visit. Come back enough times, you're bound to run across the aggro and the blind.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.