Traffic Cams in Vancouver

Oct. 24, 2009, 10:13 p.m.

Last winter I'd notice flashes at some intersections, typically when drivers would get a bit aggressive on the yellow lights.

I've heard there are traffic lights in BC that move around, so you never know where they are.

I also heard there are sometimes flashes, but not always cameras.

Any insight?

Oct. 24, 2009, 10:42 p.m.

Last winter I'd notice flashes at some intersections, typically when drivers would get a bit aggressive on the yellow lights.

I've heard there are traffic lights in BC that move around, so you never know where they are.

I also heard there are sometimes flashes, but not always cameras.

Any insight?

I dont know about them moving around.I do know if you get caught with a red, and there is a flash. They need a unobstructed veiw of your plate and vehicle. Also, the cameras arent always active but the flashes are. I think they still may be film or something.

Oct. 25, 2009, 5:39 a.m.

there's a blackberry app that warns you of red light camera's.

Trucks and Guns.

Oct. 25, 2009, 8:35 a.m.

The program is being expanded. From a March News release…

Currently, B.C.[HTML_REMOVED]#8217;s 30 cameras rotate among 120 intersections. These cameras use film that must be manually unloaded and processed, delaying ticket mailing to the registered owners of photographed vehicles for three to five weeks.

The upgraded program will put digital cameras at 140 sites and enable police to target these sites individually, at times of the day and week when crash data and other analysis show the risk is greatest. Digital photos will be downloaded remotely and mailed much sooner. The first digital cameras are expected to be operational later this summer.

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2005-2009/2009PSSG0025-000296.htm

Oct. 26, 2009, 9:32 p.m.

there's a blackberry app that warns you of red light camera's.

why bother ?

running reds is for fools and you only get a ticket for entering an intersection on RED lights.

brokezors

Oct. 26, 2009, 9:45 p.m.

what a waste of money. The cameras they use are generally d2x's or pro bodies that are sealed. these cameras with said sealed lenses probably cost 5-6 grand each.

what a waste.

Oct. 26, 2009, 10 p.m.

what a waste of money. The cameras they use are generally d2x's or pro bodies that are sealed. these cameras with said sealed lenses probably cost 5-6 grand each.

what a waste.

How much is one red light ticket? And how many of those do you think one camera
will catch? Just driving to Victoria from Sooke, I'll see at least 3 cars run reds.
I did a trip today to Langford and had two people run a red. I get in the intersection
on a yellow, see it turn red 1/2 way through and 4-5 car lengths behind me another
car goes right through. I'd be willing to bet one camera gets 4-5 a day, 7 days
per week, 52 weeks per year, that's over 1400 per year for one camera (minimum).
If everyone pays within 30 days (unlikely) that's $35,000 and well over $200,000
if they don't.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Oct. 26, 2009, 10:52 p.m.

What a waste. My buddy's girlfriend's brother heard from a guy that works in a washroom that overheard another guy who was taking a dump that the cameras are like 5K a pop.

What a waste.

Oct. 26, 2009, 11 p.m.

running reds is for fools and you only get a ticket for entering an intersection on RED lights.

Take a look at section 128(1)(a) of the motor vehicle act:

the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety.

The other morning I was driving along Hastings at 5 am on a Saturday and every light seemed to go yellow as I approached it. As I got to Willingdon and Hastings I said fuck it and floored it as the light went yellow. I think I entered the intersection before it went from yellow to red. As I drove through I saw two bright flashes of light. I have not received a ticket yet so I don't know if I am for sure getting a ticket.

This was back on the 10th of this month.

Oct. 26, 2009, 11:13 p.m.

why bother ?

exactly. But you can still get a ticket for entering on a yellow. But it probably wont stand in court.

Oct. 26, 2009, 11:38 p.m.

what a waste.

haha, you are a very dumb person

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Oct. 27, 2009, 12:08 a.m.

lol taxing

Oct. 27, 2009, 12:11 a.m.

What a waste. My buddy's girlfriend's brother heard from a guy that works in a washroom that overheard another guy who was taking a dump that the cameras are like 5K a pop.

What a waste.

These things get stolen in the states, and its known on many forums where people that work for different municipalities in the states that they are usually infact d2x's with 17-55 attached to them.

Oct. 27, 2009, 12:33 a.m.

its known on many forums where people that work for different municipalities in the states that they are usually infact d2x's with 17-55 attached to them.

that is a very valid point that really clarifies your original point that the cameras are a waste

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Oct. 27, 2009, 6:52 a.m.

what a waste.

it would be so much cheaper to employ an extra dozen police officers to stalk intersections.