Toyota Yaris vs Honda Fit

April 3, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

Any 2nd gen Toyota Yaris owners on the Board? Or Honda Fit owners.

We're looking for a used sub-compact/compact hatch to drive as a daily commuter (20 km round trip, not highway). Have narrowed it down to a Toyota Yaris or maybe a Honda Fit (5-door auto). Probably 2008-9 MY.

Any comments about either car would be appreciated.

Normally I would pick the Toyota for reliability, but wondering if there are compelling reasons to go with the Fit. Thanks.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 3, 2016, 4:03 p.m.

As an aside to those choices, I got a Hyundai Elantra GT last year and have been more than happy with it. I was considering a Fit, and had a friend who got one, and they regretted their choice when they saw my car….

April 3, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

I think the back seat of the fit folds down for has a whole shwak of interiour room if that important

junior had a yaris and it was a good car

April 3, 2016, 5:46 p.m.

No experience in the Yaris , but I was surprised by how much interior space the Fit had for a compact car .

April 3, 2016, 5:57 p.m.

Wife's got a fit, shocking amount of storage with the seats down. Very good on gas, infuriating really as I drive a truck. Gets its assets kicked by wind on the highway which is quite fun.

yeah bro!!

April 3, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

2007 Fit driver here. Very happy with this car for commuting in the winter. Great on fuel and fun to drive. Has been very reliable too. So much space, I can carry my ww kayak inside. Have driven a yaris and did not like it nearly as much as the fit.

April 3, 2016, 6:13 p.m.

2007 fit here as well. It's a great car with tons of room. It's also fun to drive around town. Way nicer than a similar vintage yaris I had as a rental.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

April 3, 2016, 8:36 p.m.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

Yeah, Fit has 41 cu ft cargo space vs 25 cu ft for the Yaris…huge difference. Anyone know if you can fit a road bike with one seat folded and front wheel removed?

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 3, 2016, 8:46 p.m.

I have to get my wife's xc bike out of the van and I'll pop it in.
I can fit 3 men and 3 sets of 180+ skis n gear all inside the car and from Nanaimo to mount Washington and return for about 22 dollars in gas though!

EDIT.
i fit a small SC Superlitght in the back of the fit with the 60% side of the 60/40 split folded down. handlebars at the rear, drivers seat full back ( i'm 6-1). i'm sure it would fit on the 40% side, but there was a proper car seat on that side and i'm not that nice!

keep in mind i have a G1 fit .. and ymmv with the gen 2, but i think they are very similar.
one plus with the gen 1 is you can take the front head rests off and move the seats full forward and recline them flat. then recline the rear seats 1 notch and you get something they call 'lounge mode' i used it for a long day of ferry travel and kept it that mode for the day. slept on the AM ferry, lounged through a ferry wait on the other side ( rainy day ). just a heads up for other G1 owners if they haven't discovered that function!

April 3, 2016, 9:09 p.m.

Went through this exact same thing a few years ago when the old man wrote off moms 6 month old Yaris. We looked at quite a few and for me the choice was the Fit as it had tonnes of room inside. We looked at the Fit, Yaris (replacement), Nissan Versa, Mazda 2, and the Hyundai accent.

All the cars were similar in power wise (or lack of) so it was really the cargo and passenger room that set the cars apart.

Honda Fit had the most cargo room by far.
Versa had the most passenger room. Adults could actually sit in the back without feeling like a sardine.
Mazda 2 is tiny inside and could fit a driver passenger and maybe a laptop.
Hyundai was basically half way between the Fit and the Versa.

My choice would have been the Fit but my mom liked the heated seats of the Hyundai and I liked the no smoose bullshit car salesmen tactics of the dealer so we went with the Hyundai.

Just like anything try all the cars on to see what will work the best for you.

I'm the best at being modest !

April 3, 2016, 9:28 p.m.

We've owned a 2007 and bought the new generation 2015 Fit last year. Needless to say we're impressed. Uber reliable, fun to drive, great on gas, but the best feature for us is just how much stuff you can put in them. The rear fold up "magic" seat is awesome and gets used all the time. The latest generation have everything you could really ever want in a car (sunroof, heated seats, backup camera, stability control, etc.) It's pretty amazing what you get for the price. It's all around a better car than the first generation Fit's but that not to say that they weren't great cars. They absolutely are. I've driven Yaris's and I don't think that they are even in the same ballpark in terms of fit and finish and no where near as fun to drive.

Honda Fit all the way.

April 3, 2016, 9:29 p.m.

EDIT.
i fit a small SC Superlitght in the back of the fit with the 60% side of the 60/40 split folded down. handlebars at the rear, drivers seat full back ( i'm 6-1). i'm sure it would fit on the 40% side, but there was a proper car seat on that side and i'm not that nice!

keep in mind i have a G1 fit .. and ymmv with the gen 2, but i think they are very similar.
one plus with the gen 1 is you can take the front head rests off and move the seats full forward and recline them flat. then recline the rear seats 1 notch and you get something they call 'lounge mode' i used it for a long day of ferry travel and kept it that mode for the day. slept on the AM ferry, lounged through a ferry wait on the other side ( rainy day ). just a heads up for other G1 owners if they haven't discovered that function!

Thanks for going to the trouble of checking that.

Great info too. So far Fit is batting 100%

April 3, 2016, 9:59 p.m.

I think the Fit's definitely got more cargo space - check the vehicle specs fo the cargo capacity to make sure. But the Yaris coupled with a manual transmission is fun as hell to drive.

Also check out my review o the Honda Fit

http://www.driverdose.com/2015-honda-fit-test-drive-specs-rating-price/

April 3, 2016, 10:22 p.m.

2008 fit. Cargo room is crazy, good on gas and fun to drive. Partner has a Nissan versa. Better passenger room but not nearly the cargo space. Little more power but not as sporty as the Fit. We are happy with both but I prefer my Fit.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

April 4, 2016, 5:14 a.m.

Thanks for the comments, keep them coming.

Yeah, Fit has 41 cu ft cargo space vs 25 cu ft for the Yaris…huge difference. Anyone know if you can fit a road bike with one seat folded and front wheel removed?

Yep, a border guard laughed at me coming back from Oregon with 2 road bikes in the fit asking why I don't just use a rack

yeah bro!!