Today I shot some wicked Guns!

March 19, 2012, 11:42 a.m.

This is what I'll be carrying for moose in the fall.

285gr bullet @ 2500fps and around 4200ft.lbs of energy. It will take a Cape Buffalo with the right bullet so it should be enough for Mr. Grizz if I ever need it. :D

I bedded and painted the stock, did a bunch of metalwork and blued the trigger guard. I still need to buy some barrel band sights but it will do for now.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 11:45 a.m.

I'm actually registered to take my CFSC\CRFSC training at the end of the month. Mainly doing it because my dad wants me to take his rifles. So this is the first step of being able to change the registration over to me.

March 19, 2012, 12:21 p.m.

^^^ I hope it turns into something you enjoy. If not, there are forums that you can sell them on and some gun stores take firearms on consignment.

Gun owners and hunters are a dying breed. The 7 older hunters I know have 8 sons between them with only 1 taking up the sport.

I only have one friend my age that hunts.

Fish and Wildlife will really notice a drop in revenue when all these guys are gone.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 2:37 p.m.

^^^ I hope it turns into something you enjoy. If not, there are forums that you can sell them on and some gun stores take firearms on consignment.

Gun owners and hunters are a dying breed. The 7 older hunters I know have 8 sons between them with only 1 taking up the sport.

Fish and Wildlife will really notice a drop in revenue when all these guys are gone.

I'm not sure I'll ever get into hunting. Maybe some duck down the road. But I've always enjoyed target so I'll probably keep them around for that. I actually grew up with guns all around me and my family hunting but I just never really took to it. So getting my FAC wasnt a priority. In hind sight I regret not getting it… but Im remedying that now!

March 19, 2012, 3:30 p.m.

Let me throw this out to the gun nut crowd:

I want to get into trap shooting, mostly for work. There are a number of tournaments that my customer base attends, and I love writing fun shit off. What's the best set-up to go with as a beginner? I'd imagine an over/under or bolt action would be where it's at… is that about right? Ideally I'd like to stick with Winchester or Remington… but that's just me wanting to be like my old man.

Any suggestions?

March 19, 2012, 3:53 p.m.

O/U is the way to go. Check out your local club and some of the old guys there will probably let you handle a few guns to get a feel for them. An O/U shotgun needs to fit you well if you ever want to shoot decently. Try all the ones at your local shop and see which feels most natural. Prepare to spend over $1000.

Also, if you're planning on shooting a lot of skeet, trap or clays, make sure you buy a gun that is built to put a ton of shot downrange. Lighter hunting guns might not stand up to lots of rounds and the action won't lock up as well over time.

Bolt action shotgun? Please don't…

Go to CGN and apply for access to the EE.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 6:25 p.m.

I'm seeing the opposite. Many local\natural food types that I know,including ex vegetarians are taking up hunting and trapping for their own food.

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2012, 7:56 p.m.

^^^ That is nice to know. Location and accessibility have a lot to do with it.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 8:01 p.m.

^^^ That is nice to know. Location and accessibility have a lot to do with it.

True…I feel that if you can you should. It was out of reach when I lived in the LM (so I bought in bulk from reputable ranchers) but is in my backyard now,so it would be silly not to.

What are the rules anyways on taking a moose in your pasture?

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2012, 8:28 p.m.

I can't see it being a problem as long as there are no bylaws against the discharge of a firearm in your area and you're not within 15m of a road.

The moose season starts Aug 15 for immature bulls in some MUs around PG.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 8:32 p.m.

I know in AB, where I grew up there was a pretty broad definition of pests that had open season all year. I think moose might fall out of the pest category, unless you caught it eating chickens, or you say it's coming right for us!!!

March 19, 2012, 9:41 p.m.

Some tactical and precision stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT1mw0i4fE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18dOzeDtpr4

Precision rifles are one of my favourite types of firearms. There are so many components of the shot that have to be perfect to achieve consistent groups. Finally being able to punch tiny groups in paper is really satisfying.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 19, 2012, 10:14 p.m.

This makes me want to get back into IPSC really bad. REALLY REALLY BAD.

Too much stuff to do in life, not enough time(or money) to do it all.

www.vitalmtb.com