time for a change?

Dec. 5, 2013, 8:08 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlb4Pu23kqw

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 5, 2013, 10:33 a.m.

maybe if he does it again and talks normally I'll watch it

Dec. 5, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

Time for a change?

If some of the YouTube comments below the video are any indication, definitely.

Dec. 5, 2013, 4:23 p.m.

If some of the YouTube comments below the video are any indication, definitely.

If Youtube comments are indication of anything humanity is doomed.

Personally I think that this is a discussion for everyone. Women are not just passive victims and can in many ways perpetuate the stereotype for what masculinity is as much as men. The best any of us can do is be a decent role model for young people.

Dec. 5, 2013, 5:51 p.m.

I hate when people throw out stats and then don't define them.
1 in 3 women are raped world wide.
1 in 17 women are raped in canada. (quick wiki rape stats)
Going to bet it's not because of what we call beaters.

Sensational video that I thought was kind of shitty. However, yes, rape must stop. I've had to deal with girls who have been drugged at bars and it's pretty chilling and really shitty. Just one of those things you wish no one had to deal with.

Dec. 5, 2013, 6:54 p.m.

I hate when people throw out stats and then don't define them.
1 in 3 women are raped world wide.
1 in 17 women are raped in canada. (quick wiki rape stats)
Going to bet it's not because of what we call beaters.

Sensational video that I thought was kind of shitty. However, yes, rape must stop. I've had to deal with girls who have been drugged at bars and it's pretty chilling and really shitty. Just one of those things you wish no one had to deal with.

not really sensational at all.

rape, violence, misogyny, etc aren't womens' issues… they are mens' issues.

ya the term "wifebeater" is relatively innocuous, but phrases, attitudes, jokes, ignorance, silence, etc all pile up form the basis of rape culture.

statistically, multiple members of this board have raped. scary.:eek2:

Dec. 5, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

The best any of us can do is be a decent role model for young people.

That's setting the bar kinda low.

Goin' Down?

Dec. 6, 2013, 6:21 a.m.

Just throwin' this out there…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4hNaFkbZYU

www.natooke.com

Dec. 6, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

That's setting the bar kinda low.

Being a decent role model is setting the bar low? I didn't say it was the only thing we can do, but it is the most important. Young people learn to be assholes from the older people in their lives. Maybe I don't meet your high standards as a role model for young women but I try. :rolleyes:

Dec. 6, 2013, 9:59 p.m.

ya the term "wifebeater" is relatively innocuous, but phrases, attitudes, jokes, ignorance, silence, etc all pile up form the basis of rape culture.

what is rape culture exactly

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

Dec. 7, 2013, 4:22 a.m.

One could argue about the way it was shot, but his message is definitely one that every man (and woman) should have to listen to, I think.

The question is, how to actually stop it? And where do "we" as male citizens start? Before you dismiss my questions, think about them for a second.

I know that I try and teach my son that violent behavior is a nono, he is turning three on monday, and that respect and being thankful is the way to go.

My questions are more or less directed at society as a whole. The perception of life and the like would have to change on a gigantic scale.

And then there is the question how a man does change his behavior (can he?) if he only thinks about women in negative, abusive terms.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Dec. 7, 2013, 12:57 p.m.

Soooo what do you tell a woman with two black eyes?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 7, 2013, 1:07 p.m.

One could argue about the way it was shot, but his message is definitely one that every man (and woman) should have to listen to, I think.

The question is, how to actually stop it? And where do "we" as male citizens start? Before you dismiss my questions, think about them for a second.

I know that I try and teach my son that violent behavior is a nono, he is turning three on monday, and that respect and being thankful is the way to go.

My questions are more or less directed at society as a whole. The perception of life and the like would have to change on a gigantic scale.

And then there is the question how a man does change his behavior (can he?) if he only thinks about women in negative, abusive terms.

I'll bring up the race and religion cards to this thread. Call me and it, what you will. I donut care.

When a country allows migrants who's basic belief is that men are never wrong and as soon as a woman, sorry, girl hits a certain age, that they're ripe for the taking, then you have part of the issue right there. I wont say how much of the problem because really, no one actually knows the real stats buuuut think of it like this: how many non brown cabbies are there in Vancouver? And how many of them get to be the angel who gives the beyond drunk girls a ride home who pass out in their cab only to wake up with big bearded turban trying to rape them. Lets say as a Bartender, I've heard of this issue for far too long (happened to friends and coworkers). And before you think, cant the girl just get the taxi cabs # and call it in, how good are you at reading signage when hammed let alone after a traumatic experience.

Anyone remember reading an article lately about some young adult males who'd meet naive girls on the skytrain and then force them into prostitution? Thats rape and exploitation on a totally different scale.

Who's to blame? Religion? Men? Money? Lulu lemon?

ps/edit: I didnt watch the youtube clip.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Dec. 8, 2013, 9:24 p.m.

what is rape culture exactly

a google search would have been less work than posting a question on here…

or do you just want me to tell you a fucking story?

for an example, check out this shogun marcus mouthbreather

Dec. 9, 2013, 6:55 p.m.

hard to change when they just keep posting up… (ref boobs thread)