Tim Thomas snubs Obama...

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

My initial reaction was "Douche" but then thought of how I would have reacted if had I been invited to see Dubya'…

word for word you stole my post i was gonna make.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Jan. 24, 2012, 1 p.m.

People will speculate no matter what. Guillen is from Venezuela (but is a US citizen) and was called a "commie" because his reason (spending time with his family) wasn't believed.

You are still seriously having trouble seeing the difference between this example and what T.T. did? Thomas released a statement actively criticizing the government in response to an invitation to the White House. Guillen declined and invitation without releasing a statement and the media SPECULATED on why he didn't attend.

One is an example of someone using fame to push a political agenda.

The other is an example of someone trying not to push a political agenda and the media sensationalizing it.

_The lesson is people who are rabidly and inherently political will politicize anything anyway to try to make a point that their flawed belief system (and all belief systems are flawed in some way) is superior … _

Irrelevant quote is irrelevant. People aren't speculating that TT's motivation was political, TT is stating political beliefs as his reason for not attending.

Lets break it down with a hypothetical:

You receive a Facebook invite to a very exclusive party that a friend-of-a-friend is throwing. Problem is, you don't really like the host too much…

Do you:

A) Politely decline the invitation, and when pressed by friends, say that you have other plans. (Michael Jordan)

or

B) Take it as an opportunity to make a statement by declaring that you essentially don't like who the host is and list the reasons why. (Tim Thomas)

Jan. 24, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

Pretty good example of what is wrong with the US. Some goalie doesn't show up at a white house lunch, and everyone is outraged. Romney releases his tax returns, and no one gives a shit that he's paying [HTML_REMOVED]15%.

this

if i was on a canadian team that won the cup, i wouldn't go to meet harper

Jan. 24, 2012, 1:23 p.m.

An athlete trying to make a political statement is retarded.
Caring about an athlete's political opinion is retarded.

Speaking of retarded…how about Dave Hodge's tweet about Tim's 3 kids' names all starting with "K."

Now put that in your hat and smoke it!

Wrong. Always.

Jan. 24, 2012, 2:15 p.m.

I'd meet Bill Clinton. That guy is awesome.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Jan. 24, 2012, 2:47 p.m.

One is an example of someone using fame to push a political agenda.

Wow … that is totally shocking. I hope we never see another example of this ever again.

Jan. 24, 2012, 2:53 p.m.

Wow … that is totally shocking. I hope we never see another example of this ever again.

Esarc noted, but who said it was a new thing, or an uncommon thing? I said it's a douchey thing, which is why Tim Thomas is a douche, just like all of the other douchebag political pundits.

Jan. 24, 2012, 3:01 p.m.

An athlete trying to make a political statement is retarded.
Caring about an athlete's political opinion is retarded.

Speaking of retarded…how about Dave Hodge's tweet about Tim's 3 kids' names all starting with "K."

Now put that in your hat and smoke it!

Ya because that means anything :rolleyes:. That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard all week. The week is still young, but I'm sure that will remain at the top of the list.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Jan. 24, 2012, 4:20 p.m.

time to start a riot !

:canada:

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:51 p.m.

Thomas released a statement actively criticizing the government in response to an invitation to the White House.

TT's public comment was an act of patriotism.
While I suspect his political views may be the polar opposite of mine I fully support his 1st amendment rights to state them.
With both parties and all three branches of government bought and paid for there are few other ways for 'mericans to make their voices heard.
If it takes a publicity stunt, so what?
Fuck 'em.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:56 p.m.

I'd meet Bill Clinton. That guy is a douche-bag of awesome proportions.

Fixed…..

Bill "Slick Willy" Clinton shot and killed the Bill of Rights.

George "Dubya" Bush skinned and gutted it.

Barack "Snake Oil" Obomber is dining on the viscera.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:51 p.m.

My initial reaction was "Douche" but then thought of how I would have reacted if had I been invited to see Dubya'…

i often daydream about meeting bush and giving him a handshake fake out. you know, pull my hand back and run it through my hair all smooth like.

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:18 p.m.

TT's public comment was an act of patriotism.
While I suspect his political views may be the polar opposite of mine I fully support his 1st amendment rights to state them.
With both parties and all three branches of government bought and paid for there are few other ways for 'mericans to make their voices heard.
If it takes a publicity stunt, so what?
Fuck 'em.

Wow, I actually agree with you on something.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

Jan. 25, 2012, 4:46 a.m.

Wow, I actually agree with you on something.

Me too…..im worried.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 25, 2012, 7:37 a.m.

patriotism? hahahah, not really, more like self indulgent publicity stunt.