Tim Thomas snubs Obama...

Jan. 24, 2012, 7:48 a.m.

lol….

good for him for standing up to the man…what the junk has..is the the merican gove done /doing for its people…what has Obummer done…

way to swim up the brain washed river man…kiss the perks and bonuses of being an ass kisser goodbye Tim….but i know that's not important too you.

Jan. 24, 2012, 8:46 a.m.

It's about some sense of decency and respect, something the man and his teammates lack.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:17 a.m.

I find it hard to really care about this, but the media is making it on par with treason or a Britney Spears clam shot.

He has personal views on the US government in general and chose not to go. Media asked why, he answered truthfully and the media blows it up because that's what the media does.

Let say he chooses not to go and just keeps his mouth shut. Media digs and digs and blows it up because that's what the media does.

Lets say he chooses to ignore his personal beliefs and goes. I'm sure the media would find something on his personal beliefs and blow it up, because that's what the media does.

I'm surprised that in a world that seems to believe you should stand up for what you believe in, he's being chastised for doing just that. And furthermore in a world that seems to hate the American govt. for everything they do, he is being hung for stating his views on them.

I can't believe I just spent that much time typing it out because I really couldn't give a shit what he does.

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

My initial reaction was "Douche" but then thought of how I would have reacted if had I been invited to see Dubya'…

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:29 a.m.

You look up to someone or make them exemplars of morality just because they can skate fast or stop a puck? Why? Therein lies the problem.

Me no, but there are lots of kids that do. We have no heroes anymore, if you look up to
an intellectual type like Carl Sagan you're laughed at as a kid. Sports personalities have
been heroes since the Roman times (and probably before). To say that they aren't is to
bury your head in the sand and live in a fantasy world. So whether you're Hulk Hogan, Tebow
or Thomas you have a lot of people that do look up to you, want to emulate you and want
to do what you do.

It is sad in this world that people like the Sedins are laughed at for being too girlish
yet what they do for their community is more than 99% of the population, and when kids
heroes aren't Spiderman, but evil Spiderman.

Like it or not that is FACT and Thomas (I feel) is showing poor form. Funny thing is, he
still lives in a country where he won't be beheaded for dissing the leader.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:50 a.m.

My initial reaction was "Douche" but then thought of how I would have reacted if had I been invited to see Dubya'…

If you had been invited to go see Dubya, would you have quietly opted out, or would you have gone out of your way to make sure that the media was involved and turned it into a publicized, political statement?

Jan. 24, 2012, 9:56 a.m.

If you had been invited to go see Dubya, would you have quietly opted out, or would you have gone out of your way to make sure that the media was involved and turned it into a publicized, political statement?

you may be able to quietly opt out, but Thomas doesn't have that option.

There is no way the media would just say "oh, ok then" He could either let the media dig and pry and form their own reason or just lay it out there.

Jan. 24, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

he can do what he wants, but I think he comes across as a partisan douche…but he's a douche anyway so it's par for the course. I look at something like this as a non-partisan, 'good job, congrats' kinda thing. It's not really overly political, but TT has made it such. He could've gone, shook hands, smiled and nodded, go home, instead he made a huge deal out of it. Whatever though, Bruins are douches, US Politics is effed, more status quo…

Jan. 24, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

Pretty good example of what is wrong with the US. Some goalie doesn't show up at a white house lunch, and everyone is outraged. Romney releases his tax returns, and no one gives a shit that he's paying [HTML_REMOVED]15%.

Jan. 24, 2012, 10:24 a.m.

Yeah actually I've got to rethink my stance here. I like Obama and would have certainly gone if I was in his place, but I don't think it's all that big a deal. I wouldn't ever have shaken GWB's hand, so good on Thomas for standing up for what he believes politically; shame he messed up his explanation.

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

Jan. 24, 2012, 10:29 a.m.

you may be able to quietly opt out, but Thomas doesn't have that option.

There is no way the media would just say "oh, ok then" He could either let the media dig and pry and form their own reason or just lay it out there.

Sure he does. He released a public statement, before any of the press even cared about the Whitehouse visit, stating that he would be posting the reason he wasn't attending on his Facebook page at 6:00pm. It was a non-issue for the press until he publicly announced that he wouldn't be going.

Plenty of well known people opt out of Whitehouse visits every year without making a political statement about why they aren't attending and the media doesn't give two shits.

T.T. turned this into media event and IMO it's a douchebag move to turn a well-intention-ed congratulatory invitation into a political condemnation during an election. He opened himself up to judgement the second he decided to become a pundit as far as I'm concerned.

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:29 a.m.

It's about some sense of decency and respect, something the man and his teammates lack.

You must mean "reverence", not "respect". But to most people, Obama is a man and a politician, not a deity.

Among pro athletes who have turned down presidential invites to the White House recently:

- Michael Jordan (Bush I 1991)
- Ozzie Guillen (and 5 Chicago White Sox Players) - (Bush II 2006).
- Mark Chmura of the Championship 1999 Green Bay Packers (Clinton 1999)

I guess that makes Michael Jordan a douche too. Guillen was called a "commie" for not attending (he is from Venezuela). And Brad Marchand an awesome human being, because Obama singled him out for special praise.

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:43 a.m.

You mean "reverence", not "respect". Obama is a man and a politician, not a deity.

Among pro athletes who have turned down presidential invites to the White House recently:

- Michael Jordan (Bush I 1991)
- Ozzie Guillen (and 5 Chicago White Sox Players) - (Bush II 2006)
- Mark Chmura of the Championship 1999 Green Bay Packers (Clinton 1999)

I guess that makes Michael Jordan a douche too. And Brad Marchand is an awesome human being, because Obama singled him out for special praise.

The difference between Jordan and Thomas is that Thomas politicized it. If Jordan had have politicized it, which he didn't, yes, it would be a douche move.

From your article:

But Jordan, star of stars, didn't go to the White House. As this is written, he hasn't explained his absence. This has led to suspicions that he might have been playing golf when he could have been shaking hands with Bush.

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:51 a.m.

shaking hands with bush

wat

Is that what you kids call it now? Imagine a future where people shake hands with mitt.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 24, 2012, 11:54 a.m.

The difference between Jordan and Thomas is that Thomas politicized it. If Jordan had have politicized it, which he didn't, yes, it would be a douche move.

From your article:

People will speculate no matter what. Guillen is from Venezuela (but is a US citizen) and was called a "commie" because his reason (spending time with his family) wasn't believed. _The lesson is people who are rabidly and inherently political will politicize anything anyway to try to make a point that their flawed belief system (and all belief systems are flawed in some way) is superior … _