This is how RC cars get carried away..

April 11, 2012, 10:45 a.m.

Hey do you guys have an opinion on what the best site is to buy used RC's locally (lower mainland)? Craigslist is okay.
RCCrawler.com? CrawlCanada.com?
In the same way that Pbike or NSMB are WAY better for bikes than Craigslist.

Chief Running Tab

"My bike is just like yours except mine has monkeys on it!"

April 11, 2012, 10:57 a.m.

http://forums.rcpitstop.com/

April 11, 2012, 1:57 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqaRrk5JTzg

April 11, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

^^ i think that might be the coolest R/C i've ever seen .

looks real , and i presume that is an expert doing the " driving " .

April 11, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

A guys SCX based Unimog

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 11, 2012, 11:23 p.m.

Just realized that the Savage flux is $640 and I still need a charger and batteries, so its close to $800. The 4.6 Nitro is $470 and all it needs is a tank of fuel.

Are these electric things really worth nearly twice the price?

Also the Axial Wraith looks pretty badass, but I take it thats a crawler and not so much a beating up truck.

April 12, 2012, 7:37 a.m.

LOL all it needs is a tank of fuel.. LOL

electric will last longer ALSO.. NO Dreaded Run away on electric.

If your throttle gets stuck open say goodbye to your nitro.

If your electric runs away you just turn the controller off and your safe.

Electric is by far the best bang for your buck.. you can get batteries online for MUCH cheaper then at the store.. Charger is only about 75$ you can get some big 3cell Lipo 5000mah for under 50$ each

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 12, 2012, 8:26 a.m.

Cam at gogo will sell you 4200mah 45C lipo for dirt cheap. That is if he still got some left over.

April 12, 2012, 2:49 p.m.

LOL all it needs is a tank of fuel.. LOL

electric will last longer ALSO.. NO Dreaded Run away on electric.

If your throttle gets stuck open say goodbye to your nitro.

If your electric runs away you just turn the controller off and your safe.

Electric is by far the best bang for your buck.. you can get batteries online for MUCH cheaper then at the store.. Charger is only about 75$ you can get some big 3cell Lipo 5000mah for under 50$ each

Just wondering, have you ever owned a nitro RC? You make them sound like timebombs.

Most RTR's Nitro are a tank of fuel and a glow starter away from running. No different than most electrics are a battery charge away from running.
What else are you saying they need?

I've yet to actually see a stuck throttle happen. Get a throttle return spring and forget about it.

After reading this thread and looking into things further I find electric more appealing than 10 years ago. Cheap chargers, batteries, brushless motors, etc. are an attractive option for sure. Man, times have changed because back in the day that stuff was huge $$$ and was the main reason I stayed away.

Electric is a nice option for sure just like nitro is. All the negative talk about nitro cars gets blown way out of porportion and is mostly from people who've never owned one.

April 12, 2012, 2:57 p.m.

Just wondering, have you ever owned a nitro RC? You make them sound like timebombs.

Most RTR's Nitro are a tank of fuel and a glow starter away from running. No different than most electrics are a battery charge away from running.
What else are you saying they need?

I've yet to actually see a stuck throttle happen. Get a throttle return spring and forget about it.

After reading this thread and looking into things further I find electric more appealing than 10 years ago. Cheap chargers, batteries, brushless motors, etc. are an attractive option for sure. Man, times have changed because back in the day that stuff was huge $$$ and was the main reason I stayed away.

Electric is a nice option for sure just like nitro is. All the negative talk about nitro cars gets blown way out of porportion and is mostly from people who've never owned one.

Yea 10 years ago nitro was boss and thats no longer the case.

I hardly think its out of proportion. nitros are junk compared to good electrics now.
Especially if its pullstart, stupid one way bearings, stupid recoil springs. its so not worth the headache anymore.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 12, 2012, 3:01 p.m.

I ran nitro exclusively from 2004 until I gave it up in 2011 when I bought my brushless Slash 4wd. Nitro is a pain in the ass. I would spend far too much time tweaking the mixture depending on the temp and time of the year. Nitro exhaust burns your eyes, and while the sound is pretty cool, it's tough to listen to for hours on end. I couldn't store the fuel over the winter, or it would break down and bad nitro is a whole other world of pain and suffering.

The electric switchover was one of the best moves I have made. I have a couple of Li-Po batteries, and a NiCd which gives me almost an hour of run time. Plus the quick charger works with my 12v car adapter. I hit the BMX track with my kids, and we have a blast without having to worry about how the engine is running.

I was a former electric guys (1990-2011 off and on) until my buddy got me into electric. With todays battery and motor technology, there is no reason not to go electric.

fuck work, I'm going home now to play with my Slash.
:D

April 12, 2012, 4:11 p.m.

My 10 year old kid wants a decent RC but has limited cash.

whats the lowest price point for something decent that wont be garbage in 6 months.

April 12, 2012, 7:23 p.m.

I ran nitro exclusively from 2004 until I gave it up in 2011 when I bought my brushless Slash 4wd. Nitro is a pain in the ass. I would spend far too much time tweaking the mixture depending on the temp and time of the year. Nitro exhaust burns your eyes, and while the sound is pretty cool, it's tough to listen to for hours on end. I couldn't store the fuel over the winter, or it would break down and bad nitro is a whole other world of pain and suffering.

The electric switchover was one of the best moves I have made. I have a couple of Li-Po batteries, and a NiCd which gives me almost an hour of run time. Plus the quick charger works with my 12v car adapter. I hit the BMX track with my kids, and we have a blast without having to worry about how the engine is running.

I was a former electric guys (1990-2011 off and on) until my buddy got me into electric. With todays battery and motor technology, there is no reason not to go electric.

fuck work, I'm going home now to play with my Slash.
:D

Yeah, the more and more I look into it the more I am wanting to get another rig and the more I read about electric it probably makes more sense with my schedule these days.

Damn you RC Thread!!!! Damn you!!!

April 12, 2012, 11:47 p.m.

Try Nitro.. but don't say we did not warn you.

There is a reason Electronic RC is so SO SO much bigger.. 10x the power.. half the hassle also 10x the Run times! plus your batteries can then be used on that RC boat you then buy.. and the next RC car or truck you buy after that one..

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 13, 2012, 10:19 a.m.

My 10 year old kid wants a decent RC but has limited cash.

whats the lowest price point for something decent that wont be garbage in 6 months.

For someone starting out, you can get away with an RTR kit like a Slash 2wd for around $300. That comes with a basic charger, battery and the truck. For 4wd, add about $100. When I bought mine, I added the quick charger and a LiPo battery and it came to around $500. It's a beast though, and while it can be broken, it takes a beating. Spend 20 minutes with an electric RC truck at a BMX track, and you'll know what I'm talking about.
:lol:

Or step up with a g-note, and snag a 1/8th scale Durango.

B I G !!!

Damn you RC Thread!!!! Damn you!!!

It's an addictive thread and the reason why I went with the Slash 4x4. There are so many options these days for electric vehicles. It's simply a matter of picking the one that fits the budget.