This is how RC cars get carried away..

April 10, 2012, 5:34 p.m.

I knew it was basically going to be a 50/50 split between the two. I guess Ill make a decision on the fly at one of the local RC shops. Thanks for the input, stoked to mess around with one of these things.

April 10, 2012, 5:35 p.m.

I'd get a Hpi savage over a traxxas revo.
savages are beef. and they have a electric version that's decent starting point.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 10, 2012, 5:38 p.m.

I'd get a Hpi savage over a traxxas revo.
savages are beef. and they have a electric version that's decent starting point.

Roger that.

The internet seems to be in agreement that Savages are better built for abuse. I certainly intend to abuse this thing.

April 10, 2012, 6:13 p.m.

Savage is beast. for sure.

just get RPM anything they sell for the Savage and put it on there to keep it strong.

Also Slashes 4x4 are super tough

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 10, 2012, 8:48 p.m.

I knew it was basically going to be a 50/50 split between the two. I guess Ill make a decision on the fly at one of the local RC shops. Thanks for the input, stoked to mess around with one of these things.

No matter which way you go you're going to have fun. I had electric RC's back in the day (Kyosho Turbo Optima anyone?) so the battery technology was pretty bad. I used to race about 10 years ago and the electric guys would only get about 10-12 minutes on a charge but granted those cars were built to go balls out for those 10-12 minutes only.

I'd still go nitro if I were to do it all over again but I'd definitely be getting a buggy or monster truck this time. The off-road stuff is definitely a lot more fun when you're just messing around. We used to have to race on a prepped surface to get the best traction. Check youtube for some road car races. Pretty sick.

Now I just need to have kids so I can justify an RC to the wife.

April 10, 2012, 8:53 p.m.

No matter which way you go you're going to have fun. I had electric RC's back in the day (Kyosho Turbo Optima anyone?) so the battery technology was pretty bad. I used to race about 10 years ago and the electric guys would only get about 10-12 minutes on a charge but granted those cars were built to go balls out for those 10-12 minutes only.

I'd still go nitro if I were to do it all over again but I'd definitely be getting a buggy or monster truck this time. The off-road stuff is definitely a lot more fun when you're just messing around. We used to have to race on a prepped surface to get the best traction. Check youtube for some road car races. Pretty sick.

new bats are miles better.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 10, 2012, 9:08 p.m.

MikeO my man i used to have a Kyosho turbo optima mid SE. Mom and Dad got it for me at Silver Wing hobbies down near the PNE.
Loved that thing. Started with a Kyosho Pegasus went to a Kyosho tomahawk(so quick) to a mugen bulldog to a tamiya magic pumpkin to a rc10 and finally to the turbo optima mid. Locked myself in the basement till it was built ( screw RTR building them was half the fun) I started losing interest after i started going to the races and realized i was surrounded by a bunch of grown men wearing jogging pants, Velcro sneakers and jammin jay hasley t-shirts. But it was fun while it lasted. From time to time i find myself looking at the tower hobbies website and dreaming alittle. Those savages look like alot of fun but so do those new slash 4x4's.

thanks for the memories.

April 10, 2012, 9:50 p.m.

Roger that.

The internet seems to be in agreement that Savages are better built for abuse. I certainly intend to abuse this thing.

I've got savage flux hp with xl chassis conversion. thing is a beast!

April 10, 2012, 11:42 p.m.

MikeO my man i used to have a Kyosho turbo optima mid SE. Mom and Dad got it for me at Silver Wing hobbies down near the PNE.
Loved that thing. Started with a Kyosho Pegasus went to a Kyosho tomahawk(so quick) to a mugen bulldog to a tamiya magic pumpkin to a rc10 and finally to the turbo optima mid. Locked myself in the basement till it was built ( screw RTR building them was half the fun) I started losing interest after i started going to the races and realized i was surrounded by a bunch of grown men wearing jogging pants, Velcro sneakers and jammin jay hasley t-shirts. But it was fun while it lasted. From time to time i find myself looking at the tower hobbies website and dreaming alittle. Those savages look like alot of fun but so do those new slash 4x4's.

thanks for the memories.

Haha! That's rad. Silver Wing Hobbies was where we got ours too. I had totally forgotten about that place until you mentioed it. Going into that store as a kid was a blast. The Turbo Optima was cutting edge in it's day. I think my brother still has it somewhere. Fuck I'm old.

I hear you about losing interest in the race scene. I got into it briefly with a few buddies from work but quickly learned that there was no way to compete with the other guys who would show up with their $2000 cars and race with the consistency of a young Michael Schumacher. Except, like you said, they were 40 and probably still living with their parents.

I just checked out those 1/16 E Revo's. Interesting.

April 11, 2012, 12:01 a.m.

Sold my 5b but here is something awesome.

70cc 2 stroke RC engine

Yes.. 18HP….

Also $4000

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 11, 2012, 5:51 a.m.

70cc? thats a scooter motor!!

April 11, 2012, 6:08 a.m.

The problem with nitro is it's not brushless.
The Revo is more of a racer then a basher. If I was you I would get the brushless Stampeed and get a 3c lipo. They are tuff and no nitro can touch them. I have a Slash 4x4 and it is crazy.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

April 11, 2012, 7:29 a.m.

70cc Long rod.. yes.. its 20cc more then my scooter.. But it would not be able to make my scooter move AT ALL.. clutch is to small etc.. made light weight.
This thread makes me miss my Baja!!!

Slash 4x4 was one of my Fav things to own.. sold it to buy a new motor for my RC.

Beast toy.. easy to fix.. water proof… huge plus..

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 11, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

Wrong.

"RC's" is the correct term. Plural. :)

My kids already have 5 RC's.
Two Honcho's, an XR10, a Rustler, and a Stampede. And they really really want a Slash 4x4.
The problem is that they never run them, so I have to make the sacrifice and run them all the time, and bash them, and jump them, and upgrade them, and race them with buddies.

Chief Running Tab

"My bike is just like yours except mine has monkeys on it!"

April 11, 2012, 10:35 a.m.

Honestly, if I had to choose between the revo and the savage I couldn't. I have a savage LTD and a revo 3.3 and love them both. Can't say one is tougher than the other as they've both been rock solid.