This is how RC cars get carried away..

April 9, 2012, 9:56 p.m.

Thread resurrection!

Where do y'all Vancouverites buy RC cars and accessories from? Seems like there isn't many local hobby shops that carry TMAXX's or HPI.

Thought perhaps I satisfy my inner child and buy myself a SavageX 4.6 or one of them TMAXX 3.3's.

The internet seems to recommend towerhobbies.com a lot, I figure I should ask about local options first.

April 9, 2012, 10:16 p.m.

GoGo Hobbies in Coquitlam has a Huge selection. Or bigger is RCPit Stop in Langley is one of the biggest stores

Nitro blows.. spend 20 mins getting the thing warmed up for 5 mins of running sort of OK. LAME.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 9, 2012, 10:21 p.m.

GoGo Hobbies in Coquitlam has a Huge selection. Or bigger is RCPit Stop in Langley is one of the biggest stores

Nitro blows.. spend 20 mins getting the thing warmed up for 5 mins of running sort of OK. LAME.

agreed nitro sucks.
LiPo all the way.

if ordering online.
greathobbies.com or ca is a canadian site.

amainhobbies.com is based in cali, they got good stuff and prices, and ship usps.

crawlins where its at.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 9, 2012, 10:27 p.m.

gogo hobbies in coq. Cam will set you up

April 9, 2012, 10:48 p.m.

gogo set me up with an Axial over two years ago…good shop.

April 10, 2012, 2:07 a.m.

RCPit Stop is pretty good. I got all my RC stuff from them, though that was like 5-6 years ago…

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

April 10, 2012, 7:29 a.m.

Yup Cam is the Man!

Got most of my 1/5 scale from him and he actually knows his stuff.. Wont sell you what you can not handle or Need.

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c

April 10, 2012, 8:11 a.m.

I was going to ask what you guys thought about nitro vs electric.

I just like the idea of having a real motor on board, but I have been reading lots about how much of a pain in the ass nitro is to maintain and run. Flooding, starting, warm up, break in, sounds like a lot of crap I don't really want to be responsible for.

How long can you run an electric truck before the batteries drain? I just thought nitro may be more convenient, only because my electric RC experience dates back to being a kid and having trucks run on a few AAA for half hour at a time, don't want that again.

April 10, 2012, 8:22 a.m.

I was going to ask what you guys thought about nitro vs electric.

I just like the idea of having a real motor on board, but I have been reading lots about how much of a pain in the ass nitro is to maintain and run. Flooding, starting, warm up, break in, sounds like a lot of crap I don't really want to be responsible for.

How long can you run an electric truck before the batteries drain? I just thought nitro may be more convenient, only because my electric RC experience dates back to being a kid and having trucks run on a few AAA for half hour at a time, don't want that again.

them nitros, you'll have one way bearing slip on the starter. which sucks
if its pullstart the recoil spring will break, the carb needs constant.
They are undoubtedly cool, but god damn their a pain in the ass.

with electrics its all plug and play, dead simple, and with bushless motors (if youre a speedfreak) then they are faster and more powerful as well.
With modern LiPo batteries, it depends what you are running but they have a much better power delivery curve, being that they carry high voltage over a longer period of time than the old nimh nicd stick packs.. they also come in huge capacities and can now be quick charged if you need to, but they usually at 1C take an hour to charge. A good charger will also be able to charge 2-4 completely different batteries at once.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

April 10, 2012, 8:28 a.m.

OTP Squamish and we have a badass track for the off road truck racers!

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

April 10, 2012, 9:22 a.m.

if you really want gas powered…. and have big dough to spend
look into hpi baja or even the new losi 5ive-t

April 10, 2012, 11:44 a.m.

I raced nitro 1/10th scale cars and loved them. The only downside for me was the amount of cleaning I had to do. I'm a tinkerer by nature so it wasn't really that big of a deal. Nitro fuel is a little sticky/oily so they can get pretty dusty/dirty depending on what you are doing. After a full race day on the road course the car was coated in grime and required a full tear down. If you just blast around on the street, cleaning them is simple and takes nothing more than a wipe down.

I never had any issues with any nitro HPI RS's. To me nitro cars have a definite uber cool factor about them. Something about running them on nitro methane and being able to tune the engine with little tweaks here and there really appealed to me. Not to mention the fact they fucking rip! It litterally takes a two minutes tops to get them up to temp and then you can run them for as long as your remote batteries last. We'd run ours for an hour straight only making pit stops for fuel (engines running while you fill up). Try that with electric.

To each their own but if I were doing it again I'd be going nitro. No questions asked.

April 10, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

We'd run ours for an hour straight only making pit stops for fuel (engines running while you fill up). Try that with electric.

You got us there! Unless of course we had TWO 5000mAh lipos for our Slash 4x4's. And it takes about 1 second to get it warmed up (turning your transmitter on, and pulling the trigger) :lol:
Just buggin' ya!
I just got into RC's four months ago and I'm loving electric. Over the years I've heard about the woes of nitro engines and the constant tuning andd the outrageous cost of the hobby but I've bought a couple Axial SCX10 RTR's and they've been rock solid and probably through 30 or 40 packs each. And compared to MTBing it's cheap as f*ck!

As far as the run times on the SCX10's (see Adam West's pic and mine below) I've been getting 1.75 to 2.5 hours per 3800mAh battery.
I agree with you Adam West, crawling's where it's at.
It almost seems as if I got into RCing at the perfect point in history - cheap RC's, cheap brushless technology, and cheap Lipo batteries ($13 for a 5000mAh that'll last you 3.5/4 hours!! )
Also another great thing is that the local hobby shops (Apollo Hobbies at the base of SFU on Production Way is the closest to me) are usually only $10 more for a full vehicle than anywhere online, which is crappy for them, but great for us because, and forgive me for the flame war this may produce, it's financially VERY easy to support them, as opposed to MTB where the cost is so much greater. Don't get me wrong, I'll be dying on my bike in my old age.
Just rode to Victoria on the Pitch, put in 4 hours on Mt. Doug crawling, and 2 hours at Hartland riding. 82kms of cheek destroying goodness.

Chief Running Tab

"My bike is just like yours except mine has monkeys on it!"

April 10, 2012, 5:18 p.m.

lol RC snobs

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 10, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

Yup. Lipo is the way to Go.. a actual motor that small fails.. A LOT

Shoots with Nikon D2H
c