This is going to be a disaster

Oct. 7, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Seaspan+wins+billion+Canadian+Coast+Guard+contract/9006862/story.html

Can somebody tell me when was the last time a BC shipyard built any sort of significant ocean going ship of any sort? The fast ferries? Has a single shipyard in BC built a steel vessel over 30 meters length in the past DECADE?

Essentially the government is paying $3.3bn so that Seaspan can stumble its way through learning how to build ships again, with the resulting cost overruns, delays, and quality problems that will inevitably ensue.

It's like asking Bombardier to build a C-130 replacement. Except Bombardier actually builds airplanes right now.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Oct. 7, 2013, 3:32 p.m.

no industry for Canada is the only answer than?

Should we get Germany to build them like the ferries…..people were sure happy when that happened last time…..

Oct. 7, 2013, 3:36 p.m.

The answer is hiring the right people…..lets hope Seaspan has done that.

A welder just needs to know how to run a bead, an electrician needs to know how to run wire and make connections, pipe fitters, etc…..its getting all to work together that is the issue.

Oct. 7, 2013, 3:43 p.m.

Anyone on here work at SeaSpan? What's the manufacturing culture like?

Oct. 7, 2013, 3:58 p.m.

It's like asking Bombardier to build a C-130 replacement. Except Bombardier actually builds airplanes right now.

You mean like asking Sikorsky to build helicopters? Almost 90 years of history isn't helping them get the Cyclone out the door any faster. Doesn't matter much to me though, either way I'm well positioned to be on the evaluation team when they finally decide, and it means a job in Halifax vice Cold Lake.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 7, 2013, 4:10 p.m.

You mean like asking Sikorsky to build helicopters? Almost 90 years of history isn't helping them get the Cyclone out the door any faster. Doesn't matter much to me though, either way I'm well positioned to be on the evaluation team when they finally decide, and it means a job in Halifax vice Cold Lake.

What technical snags are the exactly referring to? I am guessing half is trying to take a civvy helicopter design and making it fit the military role. Though wasn't there problems when they bought the Griffons as well?

Halifax? Pack your bike and hit Subnet.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Oct. 7, 2013, 4:21 p.m.

The program to replace the Sea Kings is so old it was started by the MULRONEY government, put on pause by Chretien's Liberals, and recently reactivated… What a purchasing fiasco.

The Sea Kings are what, 50, 55 years old now?

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."

Oct. 7, 2013, 4:21 p.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Seaspan+wins+billion+Canadian+Coast+Guard+contract/9006862/story.html

Can somebody tell me when was the last time a BC shipyard built any sort of significant ocean going ship of any sort? The fast ferries? Has a single shipyard in BC built a steel vessel over 30 meters length in the past DECADE?

Essentially the government is paying $3.3bn so that Seaspan can stumble its way through learning how to build ships again, with the resulting cost overruns, delays, and quality problems that will inevitably ensue.

Biggest issue when it comes to Canadian Military procurement as shown over the last 2 and a half decades is the lack of common sense. It seems we love to pick equipment that is in development and unproven…F35. Or mess with it and come out with the Kim Campbell special.

Then of course the usual political grand standing as shown by Jean Chrétien.

Only reason the ship building project will become a nightmare is if they don't select ship designs that are already proven and work. But we all know that will never happen. It will be Canadian Design and look at this wonderful Canadian Content by the politicians. We will end up with something like the Kingston class that is pretty much useless.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 7, 2013, 4:46 p.m.

What technical snags are the exactly referring to? I am guessing half is trying to take a civvy helicopter design and making it fit the military role. Though wasn't there problems when they bought the Griffons as well?

Halifax? Pack your bike and hit Subnet.

Thing is, there is already a perfectly good naval helicopter design which is in use with the US navy, a lot of them… The SH-60 Seahawk, which is the naval version of the Blackhawk. Yes the airframe is a 30 year old design but it's totally updated with modern avionics, etc. It meets the needs for all of the US navy's helicopters, why do we have to reinvent the wheel?

At least the Canadian military was wise enough to buy C130-J and modern C-17, same as the US and other NATO forces use.

Oct. 7, 2013, 5:08 p.m.

Like Enduramil said, if it is a disaster, it will be because of a bad design, not because of the people working on it. I say it's good to have the jobs here in BC.

Thread killer

Oct. 7, 2013, 5:27 p.m.

Thing is, there is already a perfectly good naval helicopter design which is in use with the US navy, a lot of them… The SH-60 Seahawk, which is the naval version of the Blackhawk. Yes the airframe is a 30 year old design but it's totally updated with modern avionics, etc. It meets the needs for all of the US navy's helicopters, why do we have to reinvent the wheel?

So is the EH-101 aka Merlin.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Oct. 7, 2013, 5:33 p.m.

Like Enduramil said, if it is a disaster, it will be because of a bad design, not because of the people working on it. I say it's good to have the jobs here in BC.

I too think its good to have jobs here.

STX is designing the vessels…..They've built a few ships before.

http://www.stxmarine.com/index.html

Oct. 7, 2013, 5:59 p.m.

No mater what happens people are going to bitch about it.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 7, 2013, 6:21 p.m.

If the Cyclone ever works it'll be awesome, but right now it's underpowered, it loses computers when hit by close range radar (really bad for a helicopter needs those computers to fly and that is supposed to land on the back of a ship right next to a powerful radar), and nothing in the back end (the mission equipment) works.

Sikorsky can't produce, so I say cancel the contract and put out a new RFP. Let the best bid win, none of this buying a substandard product here to make voters happy. They'll be happy when soldiers aren't dying because of poor equipment.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Oct. 7, 2013, 7:03 p.m.

I am pretty sure that the US has solved the problem of EMP-hardening and radar protection of the avionics on the SH-60, considering how many radar frigates they fly from… The US has a huge number of guided missile destroyers and frigates with very, very powerful radar systems. Each ship has one or two onboard helicopters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke-class_destroyer