Things to do in Powell River?

June 18, 2018, 9:02 a.m.

to fly into Smithers its 500+ or to drive its 13hrs from any major market so the cost and distance keep the riff raff somewhat at arms length

June 19, 2018, 11:59 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

well the riff raff is the people from away who will come to your cool town, change it by buying up RE, overcrowding the place where you live and then its not cool anymore.

They are Amenity Migrants, google amenity migration all those people who moved to Nelson/ Squamish/ Pemberton/ the island even those chinese investors who bought up Vancover and changed the RE market are actualy amenity migrants

if a place is hard & expensive to to get to that distance will help keep out the riff raff but it also keeps the riff raff in

if you are a local that part is a joke

Ok there Donald Trump. I can't speak for Smithers but Powell River is populated by mostly old people and there's a sever shortage of young workers,  but keep on with your beliefs that newcomers do nothing but ruin places.

June 19, 2018, 12:55 p.m.

did you google it? the phenomenon is well researched with peer reviewed papers written on the subject, the people who come to small towns not just in BC but the world over change it for the locals, some more some less, I myself came here 12 yars ago to recreate/ drink beer/not much else and are a prime example of the amenity migrant

I am betting Powel river is old mill retired mill workers and i am hearing there are shortages of young people to work the shit jobs everywhere

places like Squamish Nelson are easier to get to from the big city and have changed big time, how about Canmore lots of houses belonging to the oil rich Calgarians living 1 hr away, but not much infrastrcuture altho i hear the garage sales are awesume!

A place like Terrace, Bella Coola are hard to get to and if you ever come to Smithers I want to welcome you with a preemp[tive ... get off my lawn

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 19, 2018, 1:01 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
June 19, 2018, 5:58 p.m.

Why do you criticise people for doing the exact same thing you did 12 years ago?

I also wish to recreate, drink beer and do little else. We would probably get along irl.

A good friend of mine just bought a house with his wife in PR. Everyone he meets is very friendly and welcoming.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 19, 2018, 6:01 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 19, 2018, 6:31 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

Why do you criticise people for doing the exact same thing you did 12 years ago?

I also wish to recreate, drink beer and do little else. We would probably get along irl.

A good friend of mine just bought a house with his wife in PR. Everyone he meets is very friendly and welcoming.

I made a joke or 2 but where did I seriously criticize anyone ?

if you were smart enough to GTFO I would high 5 you cuz I been telling yer NBR types for yars that if they got the fuck out of Vangroovy like I did 20+ yars ago they can have a way better life but they were  like oh no we can't leave family and the wife's career or yada fucking yada and so I'm sure i was perceived as  the anti-Christ, but recently things are so over the top that people are moving out to become "Amenity migrants" so it is now the totally in thing to do

and so I did suggest that the Amenity Migrant is what happens and has happened over and over again all over the world ... that is all

Last edited by: XXX_er on June 19, 2018, 6:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 19, 2018, 7:53 p.m.

Sorry for not addressing the phenomenon of amenity migration. I just feel like it's a rather trite thing to bring up especially to people from vangroovy. 

2002 brough us boutique apartments, now the new thing seems to be boutique cities, 

Things change, cities change, one day there will be a road to PR and things will really change and the locals who no longer can afford a house will move further and the cycle will continue. I'm tired of standing by and watching others get rich off the cycle, time to make a move. 

I'm gonna hold you to that high five

June 19, 2018, 8:01 p.m.

FO - you're wasting your time.

Powell River is cut off geographically, but they're has always been a great community spirit in the town.

June 19, 2018, 9:07 p.m.

Sorry for not addressing the phenomenon of amenity migration. I just feel like it's a rather trite thing to bring up especially to people from vangroovy.

2002 brough us boutique apartments, now the new thing seems to be boutique cities,

Things change, cities change, one day there will be a road to PR and things will really change and the locals who no longer can afford a house will move further and the cycle will continue. I'm tired of standing by and watching others get rich off the cycle, time to make a move.

I'm gonna hold you to that high five

It real man, people are moving outa Vangroovy just about every day and so almost everyday I am that crazy old fuck in the local brewery dispensing drug store advice on why/how they should move to gods country and why would I possibly do that, well to quote buddy Mark Perry the local singing folk hero "the right people come and the right people stay"

June 19, 2018, 9:09 p.m.

I thought the vibe there was great. If you dont have to rally back and forth to Van then seriously consider it.

June 20, 2018, 8:42 a.m.

I haven't been up there in a long time, but I grew up on the lower Sunshine Coast (or the actual Sunshine Coast as we call it) and anyone I know that lives up there sees the ferries as a buffer to hordes of people, not a hindrance.  It has good weather, great outdoors and awesome boating.  If that sounds good to you F.O., I say buy some prawn traps and make the move!

June 20, 2018, 10:59 a.m.

I couldn't live in PR unless I had something like this for commuting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erkYQSYRKp8

Buy a fast boat, man.

Last edited by: tungsten on June 20, 2018, 12:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2018, 1:10 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I haven't been up there in a long time, but I grew up on the lower Sunshine Coast (or the actual Sunshine Coast as we call it) and anyone I know that lives up there sees the ferries as a buffer to hordes of people, not a hindrance.  It has good weather, great outdoors and awesome boating.  If that sounds good to you F.O., I say buy some prawn traps and make the move!

yeah like I said it keeps the riff raff out ... and In

but its nothing compared to Haida Gwai where its 700$ for a car and 2 people, bad weather with frequent cancelations and infrequent sailings.  2 years ago we did a trip and forgot to make a reservation ... it took me 7 days to get off

June 20, 2018, 4:41 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

... it took me 7 days to get off

that's what she said

June 20, 2018, 5:49 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

I couldn't live in PR unless I had something like this for commuting...

Buy a fast boat, man.

Rich man's toys boats ye be. I'll get a canoe and a 4x4 like the piece of white trash I am.

The trick will be not having to commute to the shitty.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on June 20, 2018, 5:51 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
June 20, 2018, 8:50 p.m.

I don't ride anymore so that's not a worry. I'm more into trail running these days and there seems to be an endless supply of that there so that's a plus.

For food we eat 95% stuff we cooked ourselves and it's easy to stock up on non perishable Chinese ingredients for the wife, we already barely eat out so no worries there really.

For culture we don't really do a lot of that either. We like to stay at home and go for hikes for the most part. Basically we don't take advantage of anything the city has to offer already and spend weekends fighting traffic and crowds trying to get to what would be on our doorstep in PR.

Having a couple of friends with feet in the doors of the construction/reno biz helps too

And riff raff? I live in east van ffs.

Sounds like Powell river would be perfect for you. I have a friend who grew up there who moved back a few years ago. He likes it. As long as you don't miss city stuff you'll be in heaven. The outdoors are seriously endless and untouched!!!