The Surfing Thread

Dec. 12, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

Sa-weet!

Wifey just booked a last minute all inclusive lazy vacation in Oaxaca - looks like there's some sweet surf in the neighbourhood

Im guessing the all inclusive would be in huatulco?
I spent 8 weeks around there this year. shoot me a pm if you want some info before you go.

Dec. 14, 2015, 4:21 p.m.

Im guessing the all inclusive would be in huatulco?
I spent 8 weeks around there this year. shoot me a pm if you want some info before you go.

Heading to Oaxaco and PE in March…details would be awesome!

"Ripping Styles, Holmes!"
- Tommy Guererro, Search for Animal Chin

Jan. 23, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

I'm a beginner surfer… surfed a few times on vacation in various tropical places and want to start doing it on a more regular basis around here. My question is - is the surfing better in Tofino or down south in Washington/Oregon? I figure the travel time would be about the same… Any tips/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Jan. 23, 2016, 10:08 p.m.

I went to Westport and had a blast as a newbie..of course the dollar wasn't as weak then as it is now. Still, didn't have to bother with a ferry or the Malahat.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 24, 2016, 7:19 a.m.

I've never been to Tofino, and don't surf without a sail attached, but check this out, in particular the view of the beach from above.

http://manzanitarentals.com/manzanita_activities/manzanita-photoTour.html

Fukien cold water though, even in August.

Jan. 28, 2016, 10:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH4SL9rQWGE

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 28, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

I'm a beginner surfer… surfed a few times on vacation in various tropical places and want to start doing it on a more regular basis around here. My question is - is the surfing better in Tofino or down south in Washington/Oregon? I figure the travel time would be about the same… Any tips/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Oregon has breaks all the way down the coast. I don't really trek to Tofino anymore because costs there are insane. 50 bux to camp? blow me
In Oregon the state camp sites are all over the place and reasonably priced.
A place we go every year is Agate Beach, just north of Newport by a mile or two.

We stay at:

http://www.starfishpoint.com/photo-gallery.php Right on the beach, just as nice as Tofino and way cheaper although the dollar probably affects that now.

There is a surf shop across the street, and a super kick ass roadhouse/bar/ restaurant called Szabos. Has insane cheap drink and food, all right on the 101.

There are tons of breaks a short drive away to explore.
Going in Oct is best, the weather is excellent (warm) and the waves are good. Plus accom is cheaper when the tourists are gone.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 28, 2016, 8:16 p.m.

There's more Great Whites down that way too. :devil:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 28, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

No ferries, cheaper goods, and tax free. Oregon wins.

Jan. 28, 2016, 8:25 p.m.

You wouldn't believe how motivating that thought is to stay on your board.

Jan. 29, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

I love it when people throw the shark thing into talking about surfing.
There is more chance being killed in a car wreck on the way to the beach.

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/place/united_states_of_america/oregon

Jan. 29, 2016, 2:45 p.m.

Oregon has breaks all the way down the coast. I don't really trek to Tofino anymore because costs there are insane. 50 bux to camp? blow me
In Oregon the state camp sites are all over the place and reasonably priced.
A place we go every year is Agate Beach, just north of Newport by a mile or two.

We stay at:

http://www.starfishpoint.com/photo-gallery.php Right on the beach, just as nice as Tofino and way cheaper although the dollar probably affects that now.

There is a surf shop across the street, and a super kick ass roadhouse/bar/ restaurant called Szabos. Has insane cheap drink and food, all right on the 101.

There are tons of breaks a short drive away to explore.
Going in Oct is best, the weather is excellent (warm) and the waves are good. Plus accom is cheaper when the tourists are gone.

Thanks for the info Brock! Too bad the Canadian dollar is so weak these days… Probably still cheaper than going to Tofino though I bet as long as I don't spend too much $$ on unnecessary things.

Jan. 29, 2016, 2:51 p.m.

Thanks for the info Brock! Too bad the Canadian dollar is so weak these days… Probably still cheaper than going to Tofino though I bet as long as I don't spend too much $$ on unnecessary things.

Yeah the dollar is a factor for sure, but for check Oregon out
Great road trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Stormrider-Guide-North-America-Guides/dp/095398401X

This book shows pretty much every break on the West Coast of the USA.
Wave direction, what works with what tides etc.
Super handy to have while down there.

Also lets you know where the "sharky" breaks are.

enjoy

cheers

May 30, 2016, 12:26 p.m.

Womens Cloudbreak comp is on. Bethany Hamilton is a savage! How she does what she does just straight up blows me away. Hopefully see some more size for the finals for the girls

Mens waiting period starts June 4th i think. Hopefully goes huge!

May 30, 2016, 2:15 p.m.

bethany through to the semi's, so awesome