The Saudis are coming! The Saudis are coming!

Aug. 10, 2018, 11:18 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: ReductiMat

So you are of the impression Justin spearheaded the purchase of an aging pipeline at a one hundred times it’s proper price in order to protect the environment?

No, of course not.  Are you suggesting this is retaliation for sending tar sands oil to the US?

Not in the slightest.  What set this latest firestorm off was my reply to the question, "Can't we get all of our oil from Alberta".

I do not think Justin Trudeau is Canada's top dog.  And that bothers me.

When doesn't the tail wag the dog in politics?  It bothers me as well.

Aug. 10, 2018, 6:32 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I think a more critical issue that this little shitshow brings up is that of foreign students and our universities reliance on the dollars that foreign students bring in. In particular I find the number of foreign students in our medical programs to be an issue. Canada faces a shortage of doctors, yet many of these seats are being taken up by foreign students. Does it make sense to train foreign students in our medical system only to have them leave after? Shouldn't we focus on filling these placements with Canadian students or at a minimum people who plan to make lives here after their training is finished? 

It's estimated that there are about 800 Saudi doctors in training who will be leaving. Interestingly, they're here as part of a visa program where the Saudi govt' pays $100,000 per student who trains here. How fucked up is that?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-teaching-hospitals-scrambling-to-resolve-how-saudi-student/

Studying medicine in Canada is for the very rich or the fools. Smart aspiring doctors study medicine in China, learn all the same shit and take on a tenth of the debt.

Aug. 11, 2018, 3:38 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I think a more critical issue that this little shitshow brings up is that of foreign students and our universities reliance on the dollars that foreign students bring in. In particular I find the number of foreign students in our medical programs to be an issue. Canada faces a shortage of doctors, yet many of these seats are being taken up by foreign students. Does it make sense to train foreign students in our medical system only to have them leave after? Shouldn't we focus on filling these placements with Canadian students or at a minimum people who plan to make lives here after their training is finished? 

It's estimated that there are about 800 Saudi doctors in training who will be leaving. Interestingly, they're here as part of a visa program where the Saudi govt' pays $100,000 per student who trains here. How fucked up is that?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-teaching-hospitals-scrambling-to-resolve-how-saudi-student/

Studying medicine in Canada is for the very rich or the fools. Smart aspiring doctors study medicine in China, learn all the same shit and take on a tenth of the debt.

In relation to what Syncro said, how does China treat Muslim's? And, do Chinese uni's offer whole medical programs in English?

Aug. 11, 2018, 8:05 a.m.

lol - and then good luck trying to get into a residency program back here so they can actually go on to practice medicine.

Aug. 11, 2018, 8:12 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

In relation to what Syncro said, how does China treat Muslim's? And, do Chinese uni's offer whole medical programs in English?

Tianjin Medical University has so many Muslim students they built them a separate halal cafeteria. And yes they offer whole medical programs in English.

Aug. 11, 2018, 8:17 a.m.

lol - and then good luck trying to get into a residency program back here so they can actually go on to practice medicine.

Why is that? Stigma? I know a few Americans that did all their studies in China and are practicing doctors in the US now.

Aug. 11, 2018, 9:04 a.m.

Why is that? Stigma? I know a few Americans that did all their studies in China and are practicing doctors in the US now.

it's notoriously difficult for foreign trained doctors or students to get into the system here to practice.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Opinion+Canada+shuts+door+Canadian+doctors+foreign+medical+schools/9714934/story.html

Aug. 11, 2018, 11:35 a.m.

read ALL of that ^^ opinion piece including letters including the comments

Duno about the USA but doesn't any doctor wanting to practice in Canada also have to write the board exams ?

we got a lot of South African MD's up here one of them told me he had to write the boards

Aug. 11, 2018, 4:48 p.m.

Yeah the Chinese universities train in standard western medicine and prepare students for the American board exams. It's basically the same education they would receive here.

Aug. 11, 2018, 5:11 p.m.

They planting tracking implants to track us when they takes over.

Aug. 11, 2018, 5:15 p.m.

I welcome our new Chinese overlords.

Aug. 14, 2018, 1:12 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Tianjin Medical University has so many Muslim students they built them a separate halal cafeteria. And yes they offer whole medical programs in English.

Wow, had no idea. Thanks for the info.

Lets say I was under a different impression.

Aug. 14, 2018, 1:13 p.m.

I welcome our new Chinese overlords.

You're ahead of the game so to speak ;)

Aug. 14, 2018, 8:23 p.m.

Yeah the Chinese universities train in standard western medicine and prepare students for the American board exams. It's basically the same education they would receive here.

I'm pretty sure they are gona pass over someone coming out of the UBC/UNBC  med school program for someone from Tianjin

Nov. 6, 2018, 11:11 a.m.

For it turned out – alas, oh alas – that those harmless Canadian LAVs had been videotaped in the Saudi eastern province in 2017, putting down a Shia civilian rebellion. The Canadian foreign ministry – now, in a masterpiece of satire, renamed “Global Affairs Canada” – suspended arms exports and opened a “full and thorough investigation”. Nowadays, we are all familiar with “full and thorough investigations” – like the one the Saudis are enthusiastically conducting into the demise of the secretly buried Khashoggi – and the Canadian version of an enquiry subsequently concluded that the vehicles from Canada had undergone post-export “modifications”.

The LAVs, it transpired, had been secretly kitted up with turrets and machine guns, and these vehicles were used in the 2017 operation in which 20 civilians had been killed. But – and here was a deus ex machina to beat them all – the Global Affairs report added (with even further unconscious satire) that no human rights violations had occurred; that Saudi forces had made “efforts to minimise civilian casualties”; and that the use of force – readers, you guessed it – was “proportionate and appropriate”.

Thank heavens the Saudis were firing machine guns from those Canadian vehicles and not attacking their enemies with knives and bonesaws.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jamal-khashoggi-saudi-arabia-canada-justin-trudeau-lav-arms-yemen-mohammed-bin-salman-a8612221.html

Last edited by: tungsten on Nov. 6, 2018, 11:21 a.m., edited 3 times in total.