The Riots of 2020

June 11, 2020, 10:39 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Seattle now has a 6 odd block autonomous zone? https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/127037535361412301

Ya, this is still a protest and not an insurrection /s

in·sur·rec·tion /ˌinsəˈrekSH(ə)n/ - noun - a violent uprising against an authority or government.

I am not sure 6 blocks of music and hippy style protest with food carts and movie nights qualify as "violent".

Serious question - would you voluntarily live in the "Free Capitol Hill" in Seattle? I also thought Liberals were against walls ;)

No.  I might pop in for a free falafel though.  You don't want hippies running things.

June 11, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

After looking around at other sites this morning and then coming here, I was struck by a contrast. 

Could NSMB hypothetically be considered a safe place for a racist?  

There is nothing obvious here that would make a racist feel unwelcome.

June 11, 2020, 12:30 p.m.

Elaborate.

June 11, 2020, 1:25 p.m.

Say we've got a Confederate flag waving racist out surfing the web for safe spaces, they pop in for a look around, is there anything on this site that would definitively turn them away? 

Might even be a comfortable place...I mean there's no signs of overt racism, but we've got minute by minute Brietbart updates by Marcus on the forum, and a Fox News like omission of acknowledgement of BLM out front. 

I think every MTB related Facebook post I follow was blacked out last Tues, except NSMB. Unconscious omission surely, but still. Not a thread, not a note or hashtag or blurb has been on the front page, no mention of rejecting hate throughout this ordeal. How hard would it have been to post up a "if you're a racist, fuck you" in some form of another, however subtly, somewhere on the front page for instance?

Anyhow, love the community here (yes even you Marcus xoxo), but hate the outside chance that a backwards troll could possibly happily lounge in here.

Last edited by: Hepcat on June 11, 2020, 2:21 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 11, 2020, 7:16 p.m.

Well, we had that yanke a while back up the forums praising teh Federalist Society. Birds of a feather and all.

June 11, 2020, 10:28 p.m.

So let me get this straight....if you dont have a written disclaimer, you dont know if you are in a safe space?

Give yer nuts a  tug bud...

June 11, 2020, 11:04 p.m.

Just to be clear, it's not me I'm talking about.

Nuts tugged for certainty.

June 12, 2020, 12:23 a.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Say we've got a Confederate flag waving racist out surfing the web for safe spaces, they pop in for a look around, is there anything on this site that would definitively turn them away? 

I don’t think there’s anything that would immediately turn them away but I have no doubt they would get drummed out of here pretty quickly by the inmates who run the place once they started to make their thoughts known. 

Maybe a better question for you would be a hypothetical.  Let’s say a new name shows up  and you find them to be interesting and even take a shine to them. Maybe they even offer you some good life advice via PM’s and you follow it with a good measure of success and continue to have the occasional conversation. It’s after all  this that you find out they are all sorts of bigoted. Do you drop them like a brick?  Quit using their advice? Tell them to gtfod? Or take some time to try and edumacate them in the ways of being a good human?

June 12, 2020, 9:36 a.m.

I suppose it could be more clear that this site supports BLM, although I find those type of corporate messages a bit disingenuous.  I am not sure there is much to gain by keeping anyone away from here.  If they are racists we will call them out.  Is it better if they stay solely within their echo chambers?

June 12, 2020, 12:28 p.m.

I think when they do come out from under the bridge the message to Stop Being an Asshole should be unavoidable. 

Nothing to be gained by keeping racists out of here? Accepted elsewhere too then? I'd prefer not accepted anywhere.

June 12, 2020, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

I think when they do come out from under the bridge the message to Stop Being an Asshole should be unavoidable. 

Nothing to be gained by keeping racists out of here? Accepted elsewhere too then? I'd prefer not accepted anywhere.

Realistically you can't keep anyone away, but I think as a society we spent too much time sheltering ourselves from other people's views, even the abhorrent ones.  Racism is also a spectrum, from people with white nationalist and violent views to the subtle biases that so many of us from all races and backgrounds carry with us everyday.  I say open up the conversation and expose it all.  We can't hide from it in the real world, why do it here?

June 13, 2020, 12:41 p.m.

+ I’ll never forget this from Obama on Colin Kaepernick’s quiet and dignified protests agains police shootings and I hope you won’t either: “Kapernick needs to think about the pain he’s causing military families.” It really distills the whole Obama experience for me.

+ Obama’s unique function was to defuse and shame growing social and political movements from inside his own base, especially black movements.

June 13, 2020, 6:06 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

+ I’ll never forget this from Obama on Colin Kaepernick’s quiet and dignified protests agains police shootings and I hope you won’t either: “Kapernick needs to think about the pain he’s causing military families.” It really distills the whole Obama experience for me.

+ Obama’s unique function was to defuse and shame growing social and political movements from inside his own base, especially black movements.

💩

June 13, 2020, 10:13 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

💩

Yes he was.

June 13, 2020, 10:16 p.m.

What a bizarre thing to post.