the real snowmaggedon

Jan. 18, 2020, 7:03 a.m.

And we think we have it bad here in the lower mainland. I hope those folks have enough supplies, cause it looks like alot of them are not getting out for awhile.

Jan. 18, 2020, 9:12 a.m.

In some of the  outlying areas it could be total survival mode for days maybe even longer for some. This is when you get to know your neighbours.

Jan. 18, 2020, 10:03 a.m.

Just catching up on the coverage this morning. The numbers are truly terrifying. 3' of snowfall in a day with near hurricane winds. 10ft drifts, folks furiously shoveling to avoid being trapped in their homes. I hope there is no loss if life. Be safe St John's.

Jan. 18, 2020, 10:19 a.m.

They're Newfounflanders - about as tough as they come - so they'll make it through.

Jan. 18, 2020, 6:25 p.m.

My late mother was a true Newfie.  She was born before NFLD confederated into Canada, and I have pictures of her as a youngster with snow as high as the telephone poles.  In fact, in old newfie houses, there were 2 front doors.  One on the ground floor and another on the second floor in case the ground floor got buried.  They use to dig tunnels to school and used Newfie dogs as sled pullers to get around.  I would not of believed it but I went to NFLD many times as a youngster and saw it for real. Went one Easter and there were icebergs in the harbour (she lived in Cape Broyle).  People here in Lotusland think a foot of snow every once in a while is a big deal.......I must say I do miss the ride right now......In rural NFLD the quad and snowmobile is more valuable than the car or truck.  You can guess why.   Interestingly enough, you would think that there would be more issues of SAD or seasonal affective disorder, but I have been told the bright Newfie outlook came out as a way to combat this.  Explains a lot.