The NSMB 2012 US Election thread

Nov. 17, 2012, 2:25 p.m.

this is one of the more troubling articles I've read in a while:
http://harpers.org/archive/2012/11/how-to-rig-an-election/

somewhat related to this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/13cbp0/did_anonymous_stop_karl_rove_from_stealing_ohio/

Nov. 22, 2012, 9:45 a.m.

Heh heh …

Kn.

Kn, which party was it which tried to prevent the 13th Amendment from being passed?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Nov. 22, 2012, 10:49 a.m.

That's an awesome map - sums things up in just one picture.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 25, 2012, 6:30 p.m.

How Partisans Fool Themselves Into Believing Their Own Spin

Nov. 25, 2012, 6:46 p.m.

Kn, which party was it which tried to prevent the 13th Amendment from being passed?

If you think the republicans of the 1850s were anything like the republicans of today, then you failed history.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 25, 2012, 7:51 p.m.

If you think the republicans of the 1850s were anything like the republicans of today, then you failed history.

Kn.

Or the 1900s,10s, 20s,30s,40s,50s and 60s. Basically Democrats lost the South with Kennedy and LBJ's Civil Rights legislation.

(Wallace was a segragationist)

(Nixon was impeached, Carter is a Southern Liberal)

Nov. 25, 2012, 7:59 p.m.

lol party politics

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 25, 2012, 8:04 p.m.

Kn.

Believe me, history that nuanced ain't teached in high schools down there. :shhh:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 25, 2012, 9:48 p.m.

Believe me, history that nuanced ain't teached in high schools down there. :shhh:

Says the guy who never been. The problem is that social studies is taught to varying degrees
and depending on which state you're in, or even what county you're in the interpretation
of current and historical events will vary. Even today there is no consensus on what is
actually happening and with history you get the view of the person(s) writing it.

Politics along with history while facts may be given the personal political/moral/ethical
and religious view will skew how those facts are interpreted.

It's hard (impossible) enough to reconcile provincial differences here in Canada, try a
country that is 10X the population with far more racial baggage.

The two parties in the USA have performed 180* turn arounds repeatedly in the last 100yrs.
Of course the last 30 have probably been the most drastic, polarized and lobby influenced.
Politics down south are a mess, but don't laugh too hard, in the last 20 yrs I've been
married to my Canadian wife I've seen a large swing towards the same partisan and lobby
driven politics here with a trend towards a more extreme stance and rhetoric.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons