Environemental folly and reprting at The Narwhal

Oct. 25, 2018, 7:49 p.m.

I've been doing some interesting reading lately on The Narwhal lately. For those who may not know, The Narwhal is a investigative news site focused on the environment in Canada. 

This latest article I've read does a good job of detailing the way our governments have had little regard for the ecosystems of the north while simultaneously burning through massive amounts of taxpayer cash and backing projects that will probably leave us on the hook for the clean-up costs. Of course our dear loved Liberal nitwits Campbell and Clark have played a prominent role in this wasteful process, some of which shows a direct line between campaign contributions and green lighting questionable projects. Even if you're a Liberal voter it's worth the read to see just what the fuck was going on under certain governments. The NDP don't get away scott free either, and hopefully they wise up a hell of a lot sooner or at least you and I do and we start sending letters to our local representatives to tell them to wake the hell up before this province gets turned into a giant pit of environmental chaos. 

https://thenarwhal.ca/wade-davis-industrial-folly-fate-northern-british-columbia/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Last edited by: syncro on Oct. 25, 2018, 7:50 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Oct. 26, 2018, 12:58 p.m.

when the dam burst at mnt polley they lost  > 400million in share price and dropped a rating and still nobody has gone to jail for it

Oct. 26, 2018, 2:50 p.m.

I can remember listening to Christy Clarke on the radio before she got back into politics and she was sounding the alarm about the damage from the fast-tracked projects in Northern BC.  I thought, she seems cool.  Oh, how power corrupts.  

I had never read the Narwhal before.  Thanks Syncro.

Oct. 26, 2018, 3:05 p.m.

I am pretty sure it was Christy Clarke stripping government oversite & fast tracking those projects

Oct. 28, 2018, 8:14 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

when the dam burst at mnt polley they lost  > 400million in share price and dropped a rating and still nobody has gone to jail for it

There haven't even been any fines levied against the company.

Oct. 28, 2018, 8:15 a.m.

I am pretty sure it was Christy Clarke stripping government oversite & fast tracking those projects

Most telling part of the article is the amount of money the owner of Imperial Metals donated to Clark's campaign fund.

Oct. 28, 2018, 2:11 p.m.

the author Wade Davis and David Suzuki have a cabin some where up there

That power line to nowhere was not suposed to be a power line to nowhere, at one point there were about a doz mine proposals up there but so far there is only Red Chris & Bruce jack, it sounds like maybe Red Chris is very close to financial problems, probably due in part to the Mnt Polley fiasco, I understand they were pushing the mnt polley mine to get Red Chris going and it back fired when the tallings pond burst

there were also about a doz pipeline proposals and so far nothing has actualy been built, first the Delgamuukw and then the Tsilcotin decsion in 2014 gave the FN such an upper hand in any negotiations on their lands that Northern gateway just folded their tent on the Dilbit Pipeline.

lately the LNG line that Petronas wanted to put at the mouth of the Skeena also folded and while a pipeline to Kitimat is supposed to be a done deal the Witsuetin are not supporting it and a local guy has brought court action claiming it should have been permitted federally not provincially so while it looks closer than any other project it aint a done deal

the Guardian also does eco journalism and there are some others I can't think of right now but I will post them later

Oct. 28, 2018, 5:32 p.m.

https://theecologist.org/

Oct. 29, 2018, 11:41 a.m.

It totally was her, but before she got back into politics she was attacking the Liberals for doing the same.  Then she became the leader and suddenly raping the province for a global garage sale was totally reasonable.

Nov. 1, 2018, 11:56 a.m.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/29/thousands-of-ships-could-dump-pollutants-at-sea-to-avoid-dirty-fuel-ban?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR2DoihuTjOLbLG_EFx76P_1aQydk7cGWHe2Cfmz-KWdQsJs4-VBBqF6zt0

The Guardian has some good articals, this one on  seagoing ships burning dirty oil, instead of going in the air it will go in the water