‘The Magnitsky Act. Behind the Scenes’

Aug. 7, 2017, 6:44 p.m.

2] Bill Browder came to Canada in February 2016 on a promotion tour for adoption of a Canadian law similar to the U.S. ‘Magnitsky Act’ which was adopted by the U.S. Congress in December 2012 and which imposes economic sanctions on selected Russian government and business leaders. Browder was given a hero’s welcome in the Canadian Parliament and in Canada’s corporate media. Here is a 25 minute interview on February 22, 2016 with Browder on CBC Radio One’s weekday newmagazine program, ‘The Current’.

Browder’s visit was crafted to pressure recalcitrant Liberal Party members of Parliament to adopt a ‘Magnitsky act’ in Canada. The Liberals won the Oct 19, 2015 federal election, replacing the Stephen-Harper-led Conservatives. Conservative MPs had been spearheading the effort for such an act. Browder used his Canadian visit to argue in general against any relaxation of the sanctions or diplomatic freezing imposed against Russia and Crimea following the March 16, 2014 referendum vote in Crimea to secede from Ukraine.

A veteran journalist of the Globe and Mail national daily reports on June 14 that hawkish Liberal Party MPs are pressing their government to step up anti-Russia sanctions along the lines of the U.S. Magnitsky Act. Coincidence: the Globe and Mail has opted not to report in any way on Andrei Nekrasov’s documentary film The Magnitsky Act.

https://www.newcoldwar.org/film-andrei-nekrasov-magnitsky-act-behind-scenes/

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/08/02/a-blacklisted-film-and-the-new-cold-war/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 7, 2017, 6:49 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Aug. 7, 2017, 7:11 p.m.

http://www.billbrowder.com/red-notice

A good read

Aug. 8, 2017, 1:03 a.m.

If you like fairy tales.

Aug. 8, 2017, 12:23 p.m.

Tell me tungsten, how do you decide who is telling the truth?  Nekrasov seems shady to me, why should I believe him over Browder?

Aug. 8, 2017, 5:26 p.m.

Looking for logic and reason behind tinfoil-hattery?

Aug. 8, 2017, 8:31 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Tell me tungsten, how do you decide who is telling the truth? Nekrasov seems shady to me, why should I believe him over Browder?

Browder is a hedge fund manager. Jesus! That right there doesn't tell you something about his values? Plus, if you read the two accompanying articles, the directors credentials are above reproach in his community of filmmakers. That would exclude the the American ruling classes. Of which Browder is a member.

https://consortiumnews.com/2016/04/29/no-dissent-from-anti-russian-propaganda/

In his home country, Nekrasov has a reputation as a nonconformist and his reporting has taken on Russian authorities in the past, including a film arguing that the 1999 Moscow apartment bombings were organized by the KGB successor organization (FSB) to justify the second war in Chechnya that brought Vladimir Putin to power.

In other words, Nekrasov has not been a friend of the Kremlin, let alone a “stooge” of the Putin regime. Indeed, he said that before taking the assignment to do a film about Magnitsky for the ARTE television channel, he had friendly relations with Browder, whom he had met a number of times in different settings. Nekrasov said he fully believed in Browder’s narrative of the murder of Magnitsky as a way to silence his investigation into the theft of Hermitage Capital’s assets by crooked Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs officials.

Nekrasov said his change of heart came in the middle of shooting the film when Browder’s people handed him a copy of the affidavit signed by Magnitsky that was said to have led to his murder in detention. The introduction to the document laid out precisely that argument of Russian wrongdoing, but the content, the actual text signed by Magnitsky, said nothing whatever about his investigating the theft of $230 million and made no charges whatsoever against Ministry of Internal Affairs officers.

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 8, 2017, 9:12 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
Aug. 8, 2017, 8:39 p.m.

did you read it ?

Aug. 8, 2017, 9:08 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

did you read it ?

Did I read what? The smear by Browder? I'm an American. I know who Americans like Browder are and the interests they represent. I was grew up immersed in that shit. I could prolly recite write it by rote.

Did you read it xxx'r? Better check and see if you're breaking out in anal warts.

Last edited by: tungsten on Aug. 8, 2017, 9:13 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 8, 2017, 9:29 p.m.

"Sergei Magnitsky was a 37-year-old lawyer who was beaten, deprived of vital medical attention, and left to die in a Russian prison nearly a year after uncovering a massive fraud allegedly committed by Russian officials to the tune of $230 million. The very people whom Magnitsky implicated in the fraud arrested him in 2008; a year after his murder, several of these officials were promoted and awarded, adding insult to the fatal injury inflicted on Magnitsky."

https://freedomhouse.org/article/what-magnitsky-act-means

Yeah you didn't read it so here is a coles notes ^^ on the book and yes I did read it,

not a big book written in plain english so its very easy to understand and what I got was that Sergei Magnitsky got killed cuz he was working for Browder ?

Aug. 10, 2017, 12:48 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Tell me tungsten, how do you decide who is telling the truth? Nekrasov seems shady to me, why should I believe him over Browder?

Browder is a hedge fund manager. Jesus! That right there doesn't tell you something about his values? Plus, if you read the two accompanying articles, the directors credentials are above reproach in his community of filmmakers. That would exclude the the American ruling classes. Of which Browder is a member.

In other words, you believe whatever is the most pro-Putin, because I am not sure film makers are on the list of "Most Trusted Professions" either

I am not saying I have a full proof plan to find the most reliable sources, but the explanation for Magnitsky's death is pretty obvious bullshit and Nekrasov appears to buy it hook line and sinker.  Maybe he found a bullet in his mail box.

Aug. 10, 2017, 1:21 p.m.

From what I remember of Browders book he made crazy assloads of money and lost it all in the end. He and all his people had to get out fast, they got away with their lives, Magnitsky did not get away and was not a really healthy person ... russian prison got him

So I found the book was easy to read, plainly written, not very thick, had money, intrigue, greedy american hedge fund managers, crooked russian oligarchs, ex russian KGB  and was suposedly a true story ... a good read

IMO Just cuz the wall came down doesnt mean shit, I think Russia would be a scary place to do any business

Last edited by: XXX_er on Aug. 10, 2017, 1:32 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Aug. 10, 2017, 3:52 p.m.

Freedom House is a U.S.-based[4] 501(c)(3) U.S. Government-funded non-governmental organization (NGO) that conducts research and advocacy on democracy, political freedom, and human rights.[5] Freedom House was founded in October 1941. Wendell Willkie and Eleanor Roosevelt served as its first honorary chairpersons. It describes itself as a "clear voice for democracy and freedom around the world". The organization was 66–85% funded by grants from the U.S. government from 2006–15.[6][7][8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_House

Aug. 10, 2017, 4 p.m.

In other words, you believe whatever is the most pro-Putin, because I am not sure film makers are on the list of "Most Trusted Professions" either

Be more correct to say "whatever is the most anti-American". lol....

Beyond that, I'm going to go with the the research unearthed by an investigative filmmaker as opposed to a piece of filth like Browder.

If Browder is so credible why is he doing handsprings to prevent the films release? If he really doesn't have anything to hide the film will hang itself in its own noose, right?

Aug. 10, 2017, 7:13 p.m.

What are the chances all leaders of the G196 are sociopaths?

Aug. 11, 2017, 9:37 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Be more correct to say "whatever is the most anti-American". lol....

Beyond that, I'm going to go with the the research unearthed by an investigative filmmaker as opposed to a piece of filth like Browder.

If Browder is so credible why is he doing handsprings to prevent the films release? If he really doesn't have anything to hide the film will hang itself in its own noose, right?

If there is one thing we have learned in recent history, it is that a false narrative can live freely in society and even survive a solid debunking.

I have a clear bias, this is true.  I don't trust Putin for a split second and I believe (as you know) that the Russians are second to none when it comes to misinformation campaigns.  So is it so hard for me to believe that the film maker, who could very well be an honest nice guy, has been either duped, or has his nuts in Putin's vice so that the Russians can spin this story vis a vis a "trusted source"?  I don't think it is, and I believe it when Browder says that Putin takes a 50% cut of everything.  How far would Putin go to protect that 50%?