The Hockey

Nov. 13, 2019, 10:55 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: chupacabra

That term is overused. 

yeah, it's a huge issue in social discourse these days and it's misuse is actually creating more division than necessary.

%110 agree. I'm not a racist because I disagree with your cultural beliefs but still like you as a person.

Nov. 13, 2019, 6:30 p.m.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1827646

A chance to set the record straight. He is still the man, but time to retire. I don't think he is racist. Just a very patriotic man who would like all who come here to become "Canadians" & embrace what it means to live in this great country. I am part of the silent majority he mentions. I agree with him.

Nov. 13, 2019, 7:31 p.m.

So you don’t think he’s being racist when he walks down the street and thinks that he can identify who is and who isn’t an immigrant?  What criteria exactly do you think he’s relying upon exactly?  

The racist part has nothing to do with his support for the troops. That’s a red herring, and people are using it to distract from the real issue. It has to do with his (and yours I guess) idea that white people are native Canadians (term chosen for irony) and non-whites are immigrants.

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:01 p.m.

I’m a first generation Canadian. 

I don’t wear a poppy. 

Did my parents fail to assimilate?  Could you tell by looking at me while I walk down the street?

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:40 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

So you don’t think he’s being racist when he walks down the street and thinks that he can identify who is and who isn’t an immigrant?  What criteria exactly do you think he’s relying upon exactly?  

The racist part has nothing to do with his support for the troops. That’s a red herring, and people are using it to distract from the real issue. It has to do with his (and yours I guess) idea that white people are native Canadians (term chosen for irony) and non-whites are immigrants.

Ok, so first thing I'll suggest is backing up a bit and determining just what racism and being racist is. I'll also disagree a bit on the point that his support for the troops is a red herring as that's the crux of the issue for him. I don't think he's using the poppy as an excuse to spew hated at immigrants, but that he is erroneously connecting not wearing a poppy with being an immigrant. You are right though that Cherry's thinking here is incredibly ignorant. I also think you are pretty close in terms of who he thinks a Canadian is, for Cherry it seems his image of a Canadian tends towards white people who were born and grew up here. That's where his "you people" line comes from. Either way, it was an ignorant,  bigoted and insensitive thing to say, but it's a stretch to call it racist or to call him racist. The best example I can think of to counter that is how he thinks highly of PK Subban and how a number of years ago Subban did an imitation of Cherry including wearing a crazy jacket - Cherry loved it.

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:50 p.m.

Yeah, he was trying to talk about poppies and the troops. But, not too surprisingly, he let his racism slip out. Oops!

You’re dancing around the word racism by using other words, but you yourself just described how he is racist.

His relationship with a black man has nothing to do with it. Racism is how people see and judge people based on their ethnicity, plenty of people have racist ideas about groups that they make exceptions for specific individuals. “I’m not racist, I have a black friend!” is a bullshit defense.

Nov. 13, 2019, 9:06 p.m.

Yeah, he was trying to talk about poppies and the troops. But, not too surprisingly, he let his racism slip out. Oops!

You’re dancing around the word racism by using other words, but you yourself just described how he is racist.

His relationship with a black man has nothing to do with it. Racism is how people see and judge people based on their ethnicity, plenty of people have racist ideas about groups that they make exceptions for specific individuals. “I’m not racist, I have a black friend!” is a bullshit defense.

Like I said, I think you need to revisit the definition of racism. That's the point I was making earlier, that the use of the words racism and racist seem to get misused these days, especially in a social media context.

Nov. 13, 2019, 9:18 p.m.

I don’t wear a poppy. 

Did my parents fail to assimilate?  Could you tell by looking at me while I walk down the street?

Why don’t you wear a poppy?

Nov. 13, 2019, 9:26 p.m.

i don't really have an opinion about this all, other than i'm glad remembrance day is a real thing at my kids school, where they have a ceremony and bring home crafted poppies, etc the week before.  i think his source point was a lot of people might be ignorant/indifferent to the poppy...but i dunno, i didn't buy one this year (not on purpose), but we talk to our kids about the day, and have our moment of silence.  just because you don't wear one doesn't mean much i don't think anyways

most of my posts here are links to propagandhi songs so here is another.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwsAruHCHHw

Nov. 13, 2019, 9:35 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I don’t wear a poppy.

Did my parents fail to assimilate? Could you tell by looking at me while I walk down the street?

Why don’t you wear a poppy?

Because they cost money to produce, fall off, and are another small piece of shitty plastic that the world has to deal with for basically forever.

My dashboard is cluttered with ones from my in-laws and wife...

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 13, 2019, 10 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Nov. 14, 2019, 4:23 a.m.

You know they can be reused year to year right? 

Tell me you at least put a couple bucks in the can.

Nov. 14, 2019, 7:22 a.m.

Yes. And in the past my business has had a collection thing out, and we change the legion our non-profit rates when we do service there, and non-profit rates when they visit us...

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 14, 2019, 7:31 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 14, 2019, 8:50 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

You know they can be reused year to year right?

Not really.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/11/10/poppy_protocol_six_rules_you_need_to_follow.html

"6. How should poppies be disposed of?

Placing them at a memorial for veterans at the end of Nov. 11 is particularly respectful. Reusing them next year isn’t."

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/julie-blais-comeau/remembrance-day-etiquette_b_6106492.html

"5. Don't recycle to reuse this year's poppy, next year.

That is a definite no-no. Disposal is left to the discretion of the wearer. Placing it in the recycling bin is acceptable."

Last edited by: KenN on Nov. 14, 2019, 8:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 14, 2019, 9:11 a.m.

You are confusing racism with bigotry, which is what Syncro and I are saying.  Cherry was ignorant, but the difference is important.  Racism is the idea of superiority based on race and that is never defensible, but your ethnicity is based on culture, and cultures are open to criticism.  I can criticize Judaism, without being anti-Semitic for example. 

Cherry is an asshole and a bigot, no doubt about it, and a feeling cultural superiority is not any better than racism, but I feel that racism is used too often today to silence valid criticism related to culture and religion, so that distinction is important.

Nov. 14, 2019, 9:16 a.m.

And I believe that, based on the fact that he thinks he can identify immigrants by looking at them, his specific type of bigotry expressed is racism. His ignorance and stubbornness is the source of his bigotry.