The Hockey

Nov. 12, 2019, 8:49 a.m.

Plenty of 85 year olds have learned to not be racist douchebags.  He just didn't want to.  He's just a stubborn old man who won't change so he got canned.  

He has a good home on Twitter, maybe Rebel Media will pick him up too.  They seem to want him to keep going.

Nov. 12, 2019, 9:36 a.m.

My favourite memory of Don was when he wanted to send a bunch of Canadians to their death in Iraq for American oil interests after some Saudi nationals flew a plane into a building.

Top notch guy.

Nov. 12, 2019, 9:59 a.m.

"But he's 85!"

So he's had way more than enough time to abandon his bigotry and still chose not to. 

Being that old is not an excuse, it makes it even worse.

Nov. 12, 2019, 11:53 a.m.

I kinda doubt he needed the money, he was fired from coaching jobs back in the day so I doubt its gona damage his psyche too much, coaches corner was his job to lose so who hasn't been canned from a job in their lives and ?

edit : If he had given everyone shit who didn't buy a poppy he would still have the gig but he singled out immigrants

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 12, 2019, 3:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 12, 2019, 12:31 p.m.

You people....sheesh.

Nov. 12, 2019, 1:31 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I kinda doubt he needed the money,  he was fired from coaching jobs back in the day so I doubt its gona damage his psyche too much, coaches corner was his   job to lose so who hasn't been canned from a job in their lives and  ?

Me

Nov. 12, 2019, 1:35 p.m.

How is it possible that tropic thunder keeps getting more and more relevant.. from black face to you people. 

Suck my unit

Nov. 12, 2019, 3:02 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

How is it possible that tropic thunder keeps getting more and more relevant.. from black face to you people. 

Suck my unit

Let's not forget White Chicks, Oh wait, that one doesnt count I guess.

Nov. 12, 2019, 3:43 p.m.

I won't miss Don.  He was such a Toronto homer that I never really understood why people outside the GTA loved him so much.  His rants never made sense, he always went on about the baby Jesus at Christmas, and now this.  People can say he was passionate about the troops or whatever, but he was just a typical old white dude that didn't like how things are different and how people look and sound different.  Fewer people pay attention to Remembrance Day, but that is across the board because war is something from the history books for most people.  Sure that sucks, but you have to wonder why he went straight to immigrants and not clueless white 18-year-olds.  It is the same with Christmas.  He really thought you didn't put the Christ in Christmas you were not Canadian.

I bet Ron won't miss those cringeworthy moments.

Nov. 12, 2019, 7:57 p.m.

Agree or disagree with him, you gotta give him credit for saying what he wants & not backing down. How many people do you know who are like that in this day & age? Not many. Most people in the world today are PC pussies who are afraid to say anything.

Personally, I think he definitely could have & should have phrased it better. Perhaps what he meant was taken out of context. His fervent patriotism got him worked up. But oh well, end of an era & life goes on. (CBC, just don't bring that punk Strombo back)

Nov. 12, 2019, 11:52 p.m.

Don was just speaking his mind on race and not buying into the "PC" thing.

In other words, he was a stupid person who never smartened up.

And in a rare blunt just-fuck-off-already corporate statement Sportsnet said: "In the wake of the remarks, it is the right time for him to immediately step down".

Last edited by: Hepcat on Nov. 12, 2019, 11:54 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 13, 2019, 7:55 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Agree or disagree with him, you gotta give him credit for saying what he wants & not backing down. How many people do you know who are like that in this day & age? Not many. Most people in the world today are PC pussies who are afraid to say anything.

Personally, I think he definitely could have & should have phrased it better. Perhaps what he meant was taken out of context. His fervent patriotism got him worked up. But oh well, end of an era & life goes on. (CBC, just don't bring that punk Strombo back)

Doggedly holding on to and expressing racist/xenophobic views doesn’t deserve any “credit”. 

He expressed his views perfectly. The problem was with what he said, no re-phrasing was going to fix it.

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:35 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Doggedly holding on to and expressing racist/xenophobic views doesn’t deserve any “credit”. 

He expressed his views perfectly. The problem was with what he said, no re-phrasing was going to fix it.

To be honest I get his passion for our vets and the point he was wanting to make about poppies, he just did a shitty job of conveying it. His comments definitely had racial undertones, but I don't think he was being purposely racist. However, that doesn't make his comment any less egregious. I think the worst thing for him is that while he recognizes that his comments upset people, he doesn't seem to understand why. At least there has been some good public discussion over it all.

Nov. 13, 2019, 8:51 a.m.

I don't actually think his ideas are based on racism.  That term is overused.  I have had similar conversations with my aunt and uncle who are about the same age as Cherry and very supportive of the military.  My aunt volunteered for the Legion for years and my uncle was in the Navy.  She's white and he is black, but they share the same culture and take issue with cultural shifts.  Racism has a simple definition and it often overlaps with cultural differences, but they are not the same.  Sometimes it is perfectly reasonable to criticize a culture (Whaling in Japan or female genital mutilation), but after watching Cherry for so many years it is pretty obvious what he dislikes about other cultures is that they are different.

Nov. 13, 2019, 9:01 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

That term is overused. 

yeah, it's a huge issue in social discourse these days and it's misuse is actually creating more division than necessary.