The Hockey

Nov. 14, 2019, 9:36 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

And I believe that, based on the fact that he thinks he can identify immigrants by looking at them, his specific type of bigotry expressed is racism. His ignorance and stubbornness is the source of his bigotry.

Or he is saying that based on the people he meets at the cenotaph who are mostly white and speak English, or he is just assuming that is the case with no reasoning whatsoever, or he is basing his views on the myriad of visible clues that we all use to identify someone that is culturally different and likely an immigrant but has nothing to do with race.

Nov. 14, 2019, 10:08 a.m.

To me, in light of where he went after this, this reads as someone who is making his determination on someone’s immigrant/old stock determination visually, therefore, by race  

“ I live in Mississauga, nobody wears — very few people wear a poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it! Downtown Toronto, nobody wears a poppy.’”

Nov. 14, 2019, 4:17 p.m.

Fair enough.  You don't need to give him the benefit of the doubt and we are just sharing our opinions after all.  

Soooo... Are the Canucks making the playoffs this year?

Nov. 14, 2019, 7:11 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Soooo... Are the Canucks making the playoffs this year?

With a little help, maybe?

I’m lookin’ at you People, Edmonton & Winnipeg.

Last edited by: FLATCH on Nov. 14, 2019, 7:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 15, 2019, 11:05 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: tashi

Yeah, he was trying to talk about poppies and the troops. But, not too surprisingly, he let his racism slip out. Oops!

You’re dancing around the word racism by using other words, but you yourself just described how he is racist.

His relationship with a black man has nothing to do with it. Racism is how people see and judge people based on their ethnicity, plenty of people have racist ideas about groups that they make exceptions for specific individuals. “I’m not racist, I have a black friend!” is a bullshit defense.

You are confusing racism with bigotry, which is what Syncro and I are saying.  Cherry was ignorant, but the difference is important.  Racism is the idea of superiority based on race and that is never defensible, but your ethnicity is based on culture, and cultures are open to criticism.  I can criticize Judaism, without being anti-Semitic for example. 

Cherry is an asshole and a bigot, no doubt about it, and a feeling cultural superiority is not any better than racism, but I feel that racism is used too often today to silence valid criticism related to culture and religion, so that distinction is important.

on more  second thots there is no doubt what he did, the question might be should he lose the gig over it? Cuz after watching a short clip of all Cherry's most controversial segments TO incite controversy was pretty much Cherry's job and we all tuned in for all them years to watch the car crash so maybe this is just  the bellwether or canary in the coalmine if you will that things are changing or have changed ?

Jan. 13, 2020, 12:27 p.m.

Who enjoyed watching Kassian ragdoll Tkachuk over the weekend?

Jan. 13, 2020, 2:33 p.m.

Old time hockey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMi-j7W2gM

Jan. 13, 2020, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

hell yes i did. my wife doesn't understand. i'm not a violent person and don't love fighting, but that Tkatchuk meathead, what a mangy mutt shit disturbing arrogant twat. i don't even follow him but anytime i see his mug i cringe. he's so easy to hate it's ridiculous. his stupid hair and his constant chewing on his mouthguard, i hate the ugly fucker! loved seeing Kassian beat on him, wish he caught him more flush with some of those haymakers to be honest.

Makes no sense to me, that was a good hit by Tkatchuk, Kassian's just being a baby.

It's something I hate about the NHL the past few years, someone puts out a good hit and people lose their minds. It's not fucking ballet out there, if someone puts a good hit on you then suck it up an get back in the play - don't go crying to mom about it.

Last edited by: syncro on Jan. 13, 2020, 5:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
Jan. 13, 2020, 5:06 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

hell yes i did. my wife doesn't understand. i'm not a violent person and don't love fighting, but that Tkatchuk meathead, what a mangy mutt shit disturbing arrogant twat. i don't even follow him but anytime i see his mug i cringe. he's so easy to hate it's ridiculous. his stupid hair and his constant chewing on his mouthguard, i hate the ugly fucker! loved seeing Kassian beat on him, wish he caught him more flush with some of those haymakers to be honest.

Makes no sense to me, that was a good hit by Tkatchuk, Kassian's just being a baby.

It's something I hate about the NHL the past few years, someone puts out a good hit and people lose their minds. It's not fucking ballet out there, if someone puts a good hit on you then suck it up an get back in the play - don't going crying to mom about it.

Agreed it was a clean hit with enthusiasm. The NHL is rock em sock em hockey is no more.

Last edited by: Brocklanders on Jan. 13, 2020, 5:20 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 13, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

The first hit when Kassian was coming around the net was blindside and to the head. That alone was worth the beating, never mind the next one as well. The best quote I've read about it today is "If Teemu Selanne is calling you out, you know you’ve done wrong."

Last edited by: PaulB on Jan. 14, 2020, 2:18 p.m., edited 4 times in total.
Jan. 13, 2020, 5:49 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

It's something I hate about the NHL the past few years, someone puts out a good hit and people lose their minds. It's not fucking ballet out there, if someone puts a good hit on you then suck it up an get back in the play - don't going crying to mom about it.

Agreed it was a clean hit with enthusiasm. The NHL is rock em sock em hockey is no more.

In fairness to Zac, Tkatchuk had been running at him all game like a little rat bastard. That said, wouldn’t you like to see that little rat bastard riding shot gun with Petty rather than waiting on Olli Joulevi. Gotta say Benning dropped the ball in 2016. And yes I loved every shot Kassian fed him.

Jan. 13, 2020, 6:27 p.m.

Kassian can't take a hit.

https://youtu.be/owDK0bqIFP4

Jan. 13, 2020, 6:35 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

In fairness to Zac, Tkatchuk had been running at him all game like a little rat bastard. That said, wouldn’t you like to see that little rat bastard riding shot gun with Petty rather than waiting on Olli Joulevi. Gotta say Benning dropped the ball in 2016. And yes I loved every shot Kassian fed him.

Ok, that makes a bit of sense then. Still Kassian should just wait for the right opportunity to steamroll Tkatchuk instead of putting his team down with a stupid penalty.

Jan. 14, 2020, 4:17 a.m.

If he could catch him, Reaves would give him a few lumps too.

Jan. 14, 2020, 2:05 p.m.

ketchup is impressively skilled and plays with fire and impeccable timing right on the razor edge. i guess Zac was just tired of being on the losing end of a number of plays and hits by the better (uglier, mange-ier, goofier, cuntier) player and lost his composure.  i'd like to see another player i hate Reaves and ketchup tangle and see the outcome.

First - why not tell us how you really feel about Reaves lol Both ketchup and Reaves are chippy chirpy players and both remind me of Cooke's style when he got jacked. As for Kassian and Ketch, the refs could've called a few charging calls on Ketch as Kassian even talked to the refs at least once and by definition - three steps into a hit is charging. Ketch was running him blind sides n all and you cant blame Kassian for sayin' fuuuuuck this refs if you wont stop it then...  And you think Lucic should've been doing that instead of Ketch but noooope.