The greatest musician no one listens to

Sept. 24, 2013, 4:05 p.m.

John Mclaughlin - Electric Guitarist

I listened to this every day when it came out in 1978, it was a high-water mark for jazz fusion. Hard to find anyone who's heard of him now…

Mahavishnu Orchestra oughta be mandatory listening to anyone who thinks they know a thing or two about guitar playing and music.

Just sayin'…

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 25, 2013, 11:44 p.m.

agree.

I too listened to Electric Guitarist until the grooves wore out. A masterpiece, overlooked for the most part.

so many great guitarists out there, so many styles. FZ is definitely right up there, with Hot Rats being a must listen for everyone even remotely interested in rock music.

A bit off the beaten path, but Phil Manzanera is worth a second listen too. Guitarissimo is a good introduction to him, and then all Roxy Music albums, 801's Listen Now, Diamond Head and K-Scope, and finally 801 Live. Version of Tomorrow Never Knows (TNK) is superior to The Beatles- and that is something in itself!

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Sept. 26, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

agree.

I too listened to Electric Guitarist until the grooves wore out. A masterpiece, overlooked for the most part.

so many great guitarists out there, so many styles. FZ is definitely right up there, with Hot Rats being a must listen for everyone even remotely interested in rock music.

A bit off the beaten path, but Phil Manzanera is worth a second listen too. Guitarissimo is a good introduction to him, and then all Roxy Music albums, 801's Listen Now, Diamond Head and K-Scope, and finally 801 Live. Version of Tomorrow Never Knows (TNK) is superior to The Beatles- and that is someting in itself!

ski faster, I hear banjo music

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

A bit off the beaten path, but Phil Manzanera is worth a second listen too.

Awesome cat, Manzanera. Man, what he was able to do with an otherwise unstable, untunable Gibson Firebird is to this day noteworthy. He surfaced a while back in London doing some jammin' with Schofield and Scofield (coincidental last names). Great "textural" player.

And Zappa? Pft. Reigning King Supreme of Fretboard Intelligencia.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:46 a.m.

Cool thread! Thanks!
Gary Moore = Awesome! I do think a lot of the youngens would be excited to get introduced to his work for sure.
Question, does the younger set tune in to satellite radio?
I dont tune in to it so dont know much about it.

Currently, I think Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are in that special group of players that many will never be exposed to although they're touring and making really cool music.
Been listening to those guys alot, Warrens been around for ever, and Derek Trucks just keeps getting better and better, hes here with Tedeshi Trucks band in November.

Scroll this one ahead to 4 minutes they really get cookin together..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOwBDlcasZ8

Sept. 26, 2013, 8:49 a.m.

Actually had a listen with my dad the other night, despite my obvious troll attempt. He was decent for sure :)

I'd like to hear him without a pick

viperfunk.com