The Great Salt Famine of 2017

Jan. 10, 2017, 10:15 a.m.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/worth-ones-salt.html

"" Sodium chloride, a.k.a. salt, is essential for human life and, until the invention of canning and refrigeration, was the primary method of preservation of food. Not surprisingly, it has long been considered valuable.

Worth one's saltTo be 'worth one's salt' is to be worth one's pay. Our word salary derives from the Latin salarium, (sal is the Latin word for salt). There is some debate over the origin of the word salarium, but most scholars accept that it was the money allowed to Roman soldiers for the purchase of salt. Roman soldiers weren't actually paid in salt, as some suggest. They were obliged to buy their own food, weapons etc. and had the cost of these deducted from their wages in advance.

Salt continues to be important enough to feature in the language for many centuries. Other phrases that would have been known to the mediaeval mind were take with a grain of salt, the salt of the earth and below the salt. The ancient roots of 'worth one's salt', and its similarity to the 13th century 'worth one's weight in gold' and the 14th century 'worth one's while' (that is, worth one's time), give the phrase a historical air. Nevertheless, 'worth one's salt' didn't exist in Roman Latin or even in mediaeval English and dates from as recently as the 19th century. ""

Salt used to be very Valuable so are Vangroovy drivers "not worth their salt"

Jan. 10, 2017, 10:23 a.m.

So I guess studded tires are the call? I spent a winter in Norway and everyone drove on studded on sheet ice in Hemsedahl. Was pretty sweet, shocked how good the cars handled in those conditions.

I made the move to studded tires years ago and haven't looked back. They will still lose traction, but do offer more than regular tires.

Jan. 10, 2017, 11:22 a.m.

I disagree, mostly its the wet snow which is more slippery, a

….maritime influence.

apparently ICBC claims are thru the roof this winter

Some maggot crackhead disabled my Civic trying to steal it during the blackout New Year's day I dial-a-claim next morning and I'm still waiting, 8 days later, for a hook to drag it off to PoCo for an estimate. =/

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 10, 2017, 12:34 p.m.

I made the move to studded tires years ago and haven't looked back. They will still lose traction, but do offer more than regular tires.

Yes^^ also the stud haters will complain studs don't have as much traction when its not snowing but there is a driving technique to deal with this problem, its called … slowing down

Jan. 10, 2017, 4:37 p.m.

Just be glad we don't have real highways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-5564qh0A

Every winter every SUV, car, and such I see in the ditch on the 401 has snow tires.

In truth there have been several times over 9 years where I have gotten off the well salted yet slick 401. And taken the side Highway 2 and such which while being less plowed ends up being safer as no over confident numpty drivers to deal with.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

I heard on the radio today that the city handed out 9000 tickets to homeowners for not having their sidewalks cleared. $250

Anyone know how I go about sending the city a bill for the 6" deep ice ruts in my back alley?

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:14 a.m.

That vid shows the 401.

The 401 is in Ontario.

It snows there regularly, the drivers are experienced, there are winter tire regulations in Ontario and they have the infrastructure to handle it.

Bad conditions + aggressive driving = crashes.

Some of your generalizations may need updating.

A) I wasn't referencing that posted video, At all.
B) If you've ever commuted on the 401, those asshats drive way too fast and tailgate excessively no matter what the road conditions are. That's why we see pile ups there.
C) All driving conditions and habits being equal, the ones who are prepared will always win out.

You can't even argue that many Vancouverites are prepared for winter. This is not exactly a secret.

Again, go all the way east if you want to see the worst driving conditions. They just prepare and deal with it.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:48 a.m.

I heard on the radio today that the city handed out 9000 tickets to homeowners for not having their sidewalks cleared. $250

Anyone know how I go about sending the city a bill for the 6" deep ice ruts in my back alley?

😥🙄

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:56 a.m.

I have been more than happy with CNV's job this winter. See salt trucks every morning getting shit sorted. North Van city and district have done a great job. Go for a drive in Burnaby, it's like they did zero. Streets are still covered in ice where I work.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 11, 2017, 8:14 a.m.

A) I wasn't referencing that posted video, At all.
B) If you've ever commuted on the 401, those asshats drive way too fast and tailgate excessively no matter what the road conditions are. That's why we see pile ups there.
C) All driving conditions and habits being equal, the ones who are prepared will always win out.

You can't even argue that many Vancouverites are prepared for winter. This is not exactly a secret.

Again, go all the way east if you want to see the worst driving conditions. They just prepare and deal with it.

Ah, nevermind then. That was the video closest to your post so I got the impression that was the one you were referring to. I've driven the 401 a bunch, it's cray. Both weather and behaviour.

Jan. 11, 2017, 11:25 a.m.

there is a driving technique to deal with this problem, its called … slowing down

Now that's just crazy talk!

Jan. 11, 2017, 1:25 p.m.

In the summer I go 10 over in but in the winter ice or snow I go 10 under the posted speed limit, IME 10 under is almost always safe and NO cruise control …which I don't have anyway

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:37 p.m.

Go for a drive in Burnaby, it's like they did zero. Streets are still covered in ice where I work.

Yah I drove the 28 couple wks ago peeps had to clamber over frozen snow banks to get in and out of the bus.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:40 p.m.

Things are probably more variable on the S2S. I'm anywhere between 50 under and 40 over depending on conditions over the course of the year. That top end is now due to legislation versus conditions.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:44 p.m.

You're dangerous.