The Great Salt Famine of 2017

Jan. 9, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

The truth is that when a winter storm hits the lower mainland it is brutal. Snow in the interior is not the same as snow down there. Coastal snow is heavier and more slippery (I have no actual proof of the more slippery part but I know it sucks to drive in). It's what one of my buddies calls "heart attack" snow. Cause so many poor bastards keel over shoveling it. And most interior towns have an abundance of contractors that are on call to clear the streets. I clearly remember the shit show driving in the snow when I lived in Burnaby over 20 years ago. Not cool.

That's partially true and partially bullshit. The interior gets a lot of wet snow, don't pretend it doesn't.

I've driven in snow on the coast and the same driving characteristics apply, its just that very few on the coast are used to driving in snow. Its like anything, if you aren't accustomed to something, then you can't be an expert. The excuse about wet snow is silly. That applies everywhere.

Vancouver is a joke in the winter to the rest of Canada. You guys complain about the horror of driving in 10cm of snow, when people in places like Newfoundland can have 3 feet of snow on the roads, forcing them to stay home! If you want wet snow then try driving there. You don't have the infrastructure, nor the knowledge to cope with winter. Not everyone, but there is a reason why videos like that only come out of Vancouver.

People in other places in Canada generally prepare for winter. You know - 4wds and winter tires. Many of the side streets don't get plowed for days.

Again, I've lived in Vancouver for 10 years and have driven in snow there every winter. I always had good winter tires and never found snow to hinder anything.

Jan. 9, 2017, 8:35 p.m.

Vancouver is a joke in the winter to the rest of Canada.

I think Mel Lastman calling in the army to rescue Toronto from snow in 1999 still holds #1 spot in that regard. :fruit:

Jan. 9, 2017, 8:37 p.m.

That's partially true and partially bullshit. The interior gets a lot of wet snow, don't pretend it doesn't.

I've driven in snow on the coast and the same driving characteristics apply, its just that very few on the coast are used to driving in snow. Its like anything, if you aren't accustomed to something, then you can't be an expert. The excuse about wet snow is silly. That applies everywhere. .

I disagree, mostly its the wet snow which is more slippery, also Vangroovy has lots of choke points but the biggy is that if one person didnt buy snow tires everybody behind them is fucked

I haven't seen this level of the suckage anywhere else in BC and that would be driving in kami /kelona/veron/nelson/williams lake/PeeG/ Terrace/ FSJ/Dawson creek where … people just drive their cars

Jan. 9, 2017, 8:53 p.m.

Vancouver gets snow every decade or two. No city has the $$$ to fund snow removal for something that happens so rarely.

The Atlantic coast sees it every fucking month of the winter year. Easier to spend tax monies on it.

IMO, the easiest fix is saying you lose all liability if you drive with non-winter tires on roads where the temperature is [HTML_REMOVED] seven degrees. But that might lose votes, so better not. And what about all those people who bought their license…

Jan. 9, 2017, 9:13 p.m.

These types of posts (that you constantly make) are the reason small town people are considered to be both ignorant and rednecks. We get that you have a perpetual need to justify your lifestyle choice. Perhaps you could try doing it without constantly denegating "Vangroovy"?

Haha….xxx is a redneck!

I just came down a highway covered in 6 inches of ice and didn't die.

And I did it sick enough to stop in at the hospital on the way home….no wait times!!!! Teh Narth sucks

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 9, 2017, 9:15 p.m.

Just be glad we don't have real highways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-5564qh0A

Jan. 9, 2017, 9:29 p.m.

I drove the 401 a bunch a few months back. Definetly worse than vancouver drivers

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 9, 2017, 10:42 p.m.

I've driven in snow on the coast and the same driving characteristics apply, its just that very few on the coast are used to driving in snow. Its like anything, if you aren't accustomed to something, then you can't be an expert. The excuse about wet snow is silly. That applies everywhere.

Vancouver is a joke in the winter to the rest of Canada. You guys complain about the horror of driving in 10cm of snow, when people in places like Newfoundland can have 3 feet of snow on the roads, forcing them to stay home! If you want wet snow then try driving there. You don't have the infrastructure, nor the knowledge to cope with winter. Not everyone, but there is a reason why videos like that only come out of Vancouver.

People in other places in Canada generally prepare for winter. You know - 4wds and winter tires. Many of the side streets don't get plowed for days.

Again, I've lived in Vancouver for 10 years and have driven in snow there every winter. I always had good winter tires and never found snow to hinder anything.

I don't disagree. We do get some wet stuff for sure. But I was in Vancouver when a snow storm hit (I think it was November of 2007). I found it way tougher than normal. Mostly due to the slush and ruts but could've just been the sheer number of cars on the road, or all over the road. Either way, you're right, good tires are a must.

Talk about being unprepared, when I moved to Burnaby my only car was a '68 Camaro. That bastard tried to kill me every time it rained for christ sakes.

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:25 a.m.

Vancouver gets snow every decade or two. No city has the $$$ to fund snow removal for something that happens so rarely.

The Atlantic coast sees it every fucking month of the winter year. Easier to spend tax monies on it.

IMO, the easiest fix is saying you lose all liability if you drive with non-winter tires on roads where the temperature is [HTML_REMOVED] seven degrees. But that might lose votes, so better not. And what about all those people who bought their license…

The tire guy I deal with was saying that winter tires are going to be mandatory next winter in all of BC. Dunno if that is true but apparently ICBC claims are thru the roof this winter so could have some merit.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:34 a.m.

… but there is a reason why videos like that only come out of Vancouver…

That vid shows the 401.

The 401 is in Ontario.

It snows there regularly, the drivers are experienced, there are winter tire regulations in Ontario and they have the infrastructure to handle it.

Bad conditions + aggressive driving = crashes.

Some of your generalizations may need updating.

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:38 a.m.

The tire guy I deal with was saying that winter tires are going to be mandatory next winter in all of BC. Dunno if that is true but apparently ICBC claims are thru the roof this winter so could have some merit.

Something to think of if you don't have snow tires is that the year they made snow tires mandatory in Quebec it caused a big run on snow tires in CANADA so there were none here in BC fortunately I had ordered very early

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:39 a.m.

Haha….xxx is a redneck!

I just came down a highway covered in 6 inches of ice and didn't die.

And I did it sick enough to stop in at the hospital on the way home….no wait times!!!! Teh Narth sucks

hey 3 sheets knows snow tires and rednecks

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:53 a.m.

Something to think of if you don't have snow tires is that the year they made snow tires mandatory in Quebec it caused a big run on snow tires in CANADA so there were none here in BC fortunately I had ordered very early

So many people were turned away from buying winter tires, it was insane at the shops.
People forget this is Canada. It snow here sometimes. Had my all seasons on my subaru for the first storm. One the Arctic claws were installed there was no comparison, full snow dominance.

In other news the Ironworkers shit show must have been fun yesterday. Luckily I was on a survey downtown and made it home unscathed over the Lionsgate at 5:30.

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:57 a.m.

Calgary gets all the awful conditions you're talking about. We'll get -30C (that was the windchill last night) and powdery snow, that packs into black ice on the roads. Black ice is lovely as it's too hard for the sand to bite into and too cold for the salt to melt.

Wait a few days and we get a chinook, which drops heavy wet snow and has this "extra slippery snow" Vancouver gets. Watch the temperature drop shortly thereafter and all the melt water freezes into a freezing rain like covering. Oh yeah, we also get freezing rain from time to time.

Calgarians would be happy if we just had one shitty type of winter road to deal with. All shitty types keeps us on our toes.

Jan. 10, 2017, 8:01 a.m.

Calgary gets all the awful conditions you're talking about. We'll get -30C (that was the windchill last night) and powdery snow, that packs into black ice on the roads. Black ice is lovely as it's too hard for the sand to bite into and too cold for the salt to melt.

Wait a few days and we get a chinook, which drops heavy wet snow and has this "extra slippery snow" Vancouver gets. Watch the temperature drop shortly thereafter and all the melt water freezes into a freezing rain like covering. Oh yeah, we also get freezing rain from time to time.

Calgarians would be happy if we just had one shitty type of winter road to deal with. All shitty types keeps us on our toes.

So I guess studded tires are the call? I spent a winter in Norway and everyone drove on studded on sheet ice in Hemsedahl. Was pretty sweet, shocked how good the cars handled in those conditions.