The Great Salt Famine of 2017

Jan. 9, 2017, 2:26 p.m.

entitled sounding douchebags? i saw people frustrated with the disorganization of the whole process.

Because they couldn't get something for free? Because they didn't clear their driveways / sidewalks outside their houses when they should? I've had some interesting / painful / cold commutes by bike in Squamish when my car has either been frozen shut or the conditions have been to shitty to drive but I'm not going to blame anyone else, or appear on national media moaning that I can't feel my feet (how cold has it been in Van? -3?).

treezz
wow you are a ass

Jan. 9, 2017, 2:46 p.m.

-8.4 overnight at the airport one day last week.

flickr

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:10 p.m.

The truth is that when a winter storm hits the lower mainland it is brutal. Snow in the interior is not the same as snow down there. Coastal snow is heavier and more slippery (I have no actual proof of the more slippery part but I know it sucks to drive in). It's what one of my buddies calls "heart attack" snow. Cause so many poor bastards keel over shoveling it. And most interior towns have an abundance of contractors that are on call to clear the streets. I clearly remember the shit show driving in the snow when I lived in Burnaby over 20 years ago. Not cool.

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:22 p.m.

The truth is that when a winter storm hits the lower mainland it is brutal. Snow in the interior is not the same as snow down there. Coastal snow is heavier and more slippery (I have no actual proof of the more slippery part but I know it sucks to drive in). It's what one of my buddies calls "heart attack" snow. Cause so many poor bastards keel over shoveling it. And most interior towns have an abundance of contractors that are on call to clear the streets. I clearly remember the shit show driving in the snow when I lived in Burnaby over 20 years ago. Not cool.

wetter snow that packs easy and turns to ice , only been up north a few times in the winter and I remember the snow being more powdery and lots of it .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:38 p.m.

It's not just the snow that's different, -5 in PG is shorts weather, -5 in Vancouver is crippling. That type of cold goes straight to the bone. I was down there for a meeting in November and froze my ass off. Not prepared.

I bought a fat bike a week ago and I'm still pretty stoked about it. So I went for a ride last night. When I got back to the truck it was -17. I was pretty damn cold for the first few minutes but after I warmed up it was really not bad at all. But if you don't go, you'd go nuts sitting in the house all winter.

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:42 p.m.

Because they couldn't get something for free? Because they didn't clear their driveways / sidewalks outside their houses when they should? I've had some interesting / painful / cold commutes by bike in Squamish when my car has either been frozen shut or the conditions have been to shitty to drive but I'm not going to blame anyone else, or appear on national media moaning that I can't feel my feet (how cold has it been in Van? -3?).

no, they were upset because they were told/promised something by the city and then the city failed to follow thru on that directive.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 9, 2017, 3:52 p.m.

Actually no. It was minus 12-16 that day.

Surprising. Drivers are going pretty fast and not looking far enough ahead.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 9, 2017, 4:05 p.m.

Definatley this ^^ the closer to zero the more slippery snow will be, I've xc skate skied at -30 and you can walk up the hills on glide wax cuz there is so much traction

yup also lots of equipment because there are so many contracters who depend on snow every year

if you go to the mall and look at the cars even a shitty old sunfire will have at least real snow tires if not studded snow tires because it will snow by or before Halloween

Jan. 9, 2017, 5:25 p.m.

Can't we all just agree that unpreparedness and stupidity doesn't know race and idiots are everywhere?

I think a blanket statement for all kinds of people might be "You just can't fix stupid".

Thread killer

Jan. 9, 2017, 6:21 p.m.

I think a blanket statement for all kinds of people might be "You just can't fix stupid".

nothing to do withing being stupid , it,s plain ignorance !!!

#northsidetrailbuilders

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:17 p.m.

It's not just the snow that's different, -5 in PG is shorts weather, -5 in Vancouver is crippling. That type of cold goes straight to the bone. I was down there for a meeting in November and froze my ass off. Not prepared.

for sure, this is my 2nd burnaby winter, and this one actually has snow and (had) a bite in the air. i used to cycle commute in calgary in shorts -5 no problem. never would do that here.

there have been enough warm days lately that people could slowly chip away at the sidewalk/street ice as it lifts up easily. lots of people around my hood seem to be planning on waiting it out until the rain just does it for them

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

Chinese are so…….

Definatley

Yah, ^^^^^ can't spell either, eh?

;)

I know some damn cool chinese people

And I know more than a couple operators who are Chinese. 8) That blow to shit the "Chinese can't drive" argument.
One even rides a (road) bike. :eek:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:36 p.m.

So normaly that IS what you do … wait for it all to turn to rain

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:38 p.m.

So normaly that IS what you do … wait for it all to turn to rain

Normally but these clowns have had what, two wks now to think about it and the ramifications of not shoveling. Lazy ass cock-suckers!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Jan. 9, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

Yah, ^^^^^ can't spell either, eh?
;)
And I know more than a couple operators who are Chinese. 8) That blow to shit the "Chinese can't drive" argument.
One even rides a (road) bike. :eek:

those fuking chinese can't spel either