The grassy k...

April 6, 2008, 2:38 p.m.

agreed. and had i seen any unnessasry force or violence it would have been a different story (in my mind)

definitely not enough jack boots…

Srsly, there was no context given for what criteria the police were hauling people off for. I somehow doubt it was extremely arbitrary conditions. Nobody was slammed to the ground, the only injury I could see was to some of those people's shoes as they were dragged across the pavement.

Check my stuff for sale!

April 6, 2008, 2:41 p.m.

maybe there is a different video and the OP changed it as a joke?

it could be that the original video nat and others were referring to shows police doing something wrong and now we all come in and say "nothing wrong with that"

that would be funny

turn off sigs…it will change your life

April 6, 2008, 2:45 p.m.

i'll stick to my guns… middle-class wanna-be hippies need a reality check instead of protesting to protect a pile of fill. if they end up getting a whomping in the process, oh well.

Check my stuff for sale!

April 6, 2008, 2:59 p.m.

definitely not enough jack boots…

Srsly, there was no context given for what criteria the police were hauling people off for. I somehow doubt it was extremely arbitrary conditions. Nobody was slammed to the ground, the only injury I could see was to some of those people's shoes as they were dragged across the pavement.

I would imajin it was "cross this line into the arresting area and you are also under arrest. like when that guy on the bike got hauled in.

i am a big believer in rights and against anything that is remotely police state but in that situation, you have cops getting yelled and and fucked with for doing their jobs. it would have been real easy for any of those "hippies" to walk away or stand back quietly and video tape it to keep the cops in check (as some did) and provide a record of the events

turn off sigs…it will change your life

April 6, 2008, 3:09 p.m.

Sad to see that knoll go. I use to eat lunch on it all the time. It's like a UBC landmark.

April 6, 2008, 3:14 p.m.

maybe they should lease the knoll…

Check my stuff for sale!

April 6, 2008, 4:48 p.m.

does any hobbits live at the knoll
where will they go

April 6, 2008, 5:48 p.m.

The point is not whether the protestors were hippies or students or had a valid cause or not - the point is the sheer amount of force and violence exerted on an otherwise peaceful and legitimate protest by the state.

Once the state puts away the hippies, the artists, the fags, and anyone else they don't like, who do you think they will turn on?

Actually the point of fail was when one of them interfered with the fire crews. That was the turning point and it went from there.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

April 6, 2008, 5:52 p.m.

agreed. and had i seen any unnessasry force or violence it would have been a different story (in my mind)

Funny how everyone has missed one of them interfering with the fire crews. Which I believe was the turning point, meaning that to the cops it was no longer a peaceful protest.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 6, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

Funny how everyone has missed one of them interfering with the fire crews. Which I believe was the turning point, meaning that to the cops it was no longer a peaceful protest.

Dude was basically in agreement with what you're saying.

April 6, 2008, 5:53 p.m.

does the university fall under "public" space? i know our universities are private but with a shit-ton of subsidization. if its considered to be private property then the protesters can be removed simply by virtue that those in charge of the land dont want them there. right?

April 6, 2008, 5:54 p.m.

does any hobbits live at the knoll
where will they go

This is why they're protesting.

April 6, 2008, 5:59 p.m.

I love the part about police brutality. A little refresher on police brutality courtesy of the Chinese,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Fet6AcbytLk[HTML_REMOVED]feature=related

You know, this whole thread is dull and boring without our resident protest hippie.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

April 6, 2008, 6:04 p.m.

Why don't these hippies get busy and fight the whole peek-a-boo towers thing?

The Grass Knoll issue seems like a strange. UBC has been developing like mad for years, to the extent that it would seem like they are well on their way to become their own little city state. So why is everyone getting pissy about at little bump now?

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

April 6, 2008, 6:07 p.m.

maybe theyre just avenging JFK…