The grassy k...

April 5, 2008, 9:07 p.m.

Every time I walk by those hippies I wish I had a baseball bat. They annoy me to no end.
Really just makes me angry.
I'd like to ask them if they are aware the knoll was created when the university dug out the pool(s).

Angry? If they want to protest, good for them. I think that area would look a lot worse without the knoll. I don't know all the reasoning for why they have decided to use that space though, so I won't get into that.

Anyways, the fact is that UBC is run as a business. They largely don't care much about the students and just want to make money. So why would they care about the students liking the knoll?

22 Pride

April 5, 2008, 9:13 p.m.

Angry? If they want to protest, good for them. I think that area would look a lot worse without the knoll. I don't know all the reasoning for why they have decided to use that space though, so I won't get into that.

Anyways, the fact is that UBC is run as a business. They largely don't care much about the students and just want to make money. So why would they care about the students liking the knoll?

I was going to point out the "ubc as a money making machine" thing, but I kinda thought I'd leave that one for you. :lol:

It really pisses me off that they harass me as I walk by. If I say I don't want to sign the petition, that means I don't want to sign it. So fuck off.

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

April 5, 2008, 9:29 p.m.

The current bus loop(s) seem to work just fine.

Apparently it can't stay there. One of my buddies was on a student committee negotiating with the University about the plan or something like that. Anyway, from what he told me, my understanding was that the current main bus loop was built with a promise to the nearby homeowners that it would only be temporary.

Anyway, this whole issue just really annoys me. I mean, UBC wanted to/did shut down that one lab where they did water resistance testing or something, it was in the paper last year, I'm a little behind on this issue. Too lazy to find the article. And UBC wants to get rid of the farm to make room for more condos. And while this was known on campus, not once have I seen anyone protesting about these issues.

But when the University plans to remove a pile of dirt, SHAME! They even have a student paper, the "Knoll Weekly" or something. I can't really condemn them for taking up a cause, but the knoll seems quite insignificant compared to other things happening on campus.

Buy my damn bike.

April 5, 2008, 9:55 p.m.

As I understand it the underground loop will have mixed use retail/market housing built on top of it, the money from which is a motivating factor.
Also, I'm not sure what is to become of the land where the current diesel loop is, but I suspect it is likely slated for 99 year lease (ie more condos).

Apparently UBC can't cover the costs of their spending without revenue from these leases. I'm not exactly sure what is to blame.

April 5, 2008, 11:59 p.m.

ahhh uni students…

how cool that they are the same the world over.

April 6, 2008, midnight

I don't feel like getting too involved with this, because this issue only scratches the surface of all the political BS that is going on at UBC but I will say this: I completely agree with WHY people are protesting things like the knoll getting torn down, but I think they're idiots for HOW they're doing it. I mean common, these people are obviously all philosophy or history majors (insert arts student joke here), you'd think in at least one of their classes they'd learn how to stage an effective protest?

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

April 6, 2008, 2:13 a.m.

I don't feel like getting too involved with this, because this issue only scratches the surface of all the political BS that is going on at UBC but I will say this: I completely agree with WHY people are protesting things like the knoll getting torn down, but I think they're idiots for HOW they're doing it. I mean common, these people are obviously all philosophy or history majors (insert arts student joke here), you'd think in at least one of their classes they'd learn how to stage an effective protest?

they got on the national news does that count as effective

April 6, 2008, 2:56 a.m.

[sfu] LOL UBC [/sfu]

oh hai!

April 6, 2008, 3:08 a.m.

My band played at knoll-aid back in october i think it was, can't remember. Was a good time, seemed fairly peaceful. I dont know what I think about the issue, it seems fine the way it is though. If it aint broke dont fuck with it?

PS: thanks for the video, was a good laugh.

April 6, 2008, 7:18 a.m.

Best part of the video, when the guy being interviewed said "…when the fire people tried to pull off the fire…".

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

April 6, 2008, 7:28 a.m.

i think i saw 5 brown people in a group protesting, isnt that illegal?

jake has come through for me before, I fully suspect he is just trying to find all his clothes and finishing up breakfast

April 6, 2008, 11:05 a.m.

[sfu] LOL UBC [/sfu]

I'd rather have the cops shove me in a mud puddle or whatever the hell they're claiming happened, than have to deal with those goddamn fucking CFS campaigning people.

April 6, 2008, 11:14 a.m.

I'd rather have the cops shove me in a mud puddle or whatever the hell they're claiming happened, than have to deal with those goddamn fucking CFS campaigning people.

but we're on our way out, it would seem.

http://www.sfss.ca/elections/iecindex.htm

Check my stuff for sale!

April 6, 2008, 11:16 a.m.

but we're on our way out, it would seem.

http://www.sfss.ca/elections/iecindex.htm

I meant the fucking armies of pamphleteers and annoying campaigners that descended upon the campus for a couple weeks to piss everyone off.

April 6, 2008, 11:20 a.m.

I meant the fucking armies of pamphleteers and annoying campaigners that descended upon the campus for a couple weeks to piss everyone off.

but I can tell them to fuck off, telling cops to fuck off generally results in a bad day.

Check my stuff for sale!