The Fabric of the Cosmos

Nov. 22, 2011, 8:59 p.m.

Final part tomorrow.. will probably touch on the holographic principle; we're all 2D living on the event horizon of a black hole and our perceived 3D-ness is a hologram. I swear I dreamt something like this up on mushrooms twenty years ago.

Hard as it is to swallow, cutting-edge theories are suggesting that our universe may not be the only universe. Instead, it may be just one of an infinite number of universes that make up the "multiverse." In this show, Brian Greene takes us on a tour of this brave new theory at the frontier of physics, showing what some of these alternate realities might be like. Some universes may be almost indistinguishable from our own; others may contain variations of all of us, where we exist but with different families, careers, and life stories. In still others, reality may be so radically different from ours as to be unrecognizable. Brian Greene reveals why this radical new picture of the cosmos is getting serious attention from scientists. It won't be easy to prove, but if it's right, our understanding of space, time, and our place in the universe will never be the same.

Nov. 22, 2011, 9:37 p.m.

bout time some fellow physicists got others learned.

Nov. 23, 2011, 9:20 p.m.

really? multiple universes?

cmon, me and my buddy were talkin bout this shit in grade 9 when we were smokin weed in the woods next to the high school

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 23, 2011, 11:34 p.m.

really? multiple universes?

cmon, me and my buddy were talkin bout this shit in grade 9 when we were smokin weed in the woods next to the high school

Hey, why not? It would be selfish of us to insist that the only universe out there is the one we live in.

Nov. 23, 2011, 11:58 p.m.

Hey, why not? It would be selfish of us to insist that the only universe out there is the one we live in.

You mean the only universe out there could be the one we don't live in?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells