The DNV sucks... Goodbye Blackbear pub

April 8, 2022, 3:16 p.m.

Oh the horrors of not having a pub to go to 5 mins away from the trails after being out riding a $$$$ mtn bike. It’s almost like life isn’t worth living anymore. I don’t know how you all manage.

April 8, 2022, 5:45 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Oh the horrors of not having a pub to go to 5 mins away from the trails after being out riding a $$$$ mtn bike. It’s almost like life isn’t worth living anymore. I don’t know how you all manage.

You are such an asshole. Thats why this forum sucks. People like you and mostly you really.

Please unleash more of your middle aged depression on us.

Last edited by: bux-bux on April 8, 2022, 5:48 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
April 8, 2022, 6:36 p.m.

Posted by: earleb

The application as submitted proposes 98 rental apartments and approximately 1,115 sq m (12,000 sq ft) of commercial space in a six-storey building with parking for 108 vehicles in an underground parkade (74 for residents; 34 shared visitor-retail) plus 195 bicycle storage spaces.

Why can't there be a pub / eatery within the 12,000 sq ft of commercial space of the redevelopment? 

The old Scotia Bank location is for lease, turn it into a pub. 

Is the Pizza Hut location really making a go of it on only pizza? 

Missing the Black Bear experience? Slip over to Lonsdale and hit Queens Cross. Same same.

Funny....the gentleman whom used to own the QC wanted to open the BB at the same time but the DNV wouldn't allow him to own both concurrently; he sold QC and opened the BB.  

The direction LV is going is unfathomable to me, and I was raised there 30 years.  They introduce all of this development to cash in on the taxes but the road infrastructure cannot be improved; there are only 3 ways into LV...29th, LV Road and Mtn Hwy.  None can be widened.  I am sure those bike lanes will come in handy...and the improved transit......  and you wonder why the Ironworkers interchange area is so bad.

I have wanted to move back to LV for so long but Squamish is looking better every year.   The Shore used to be nice but now.....ruined.   

And the BB was one of those iconic haunts that screamed LV/North Shore.  Too bad it is going but I assume the real reason is that it was a debilitating influence on the children.   Good thing the Coach House Inn is long gone........saw my first show there when I was 16.

April 8, 2022, 7:28 p.m.

Back in the day, the pulled pork sandwich at the Black Bear was to die for. We thought so anyways. It changed over the years but we usually had a decent post ride burger there. Sad to see it going, the parking lot was usually full of bikes on racks.

April 8, 2022, 7:53 p.m.

Posted by: bux-bux

You are such an asshole. Thats why this forum sucks. People like you and mostly you really.

Well, that hit a nerve - it was just sarcasm.

But when you really think about it, there’s so much shit going on that not having a pub right there seems like a pretty inconsequential thing.

April 8, 2022, 8:30 p.m.

But when you really think about it, there’s so much shit going on that not having a pub right there seems like a pretty inconsequential thing.

Such as? 

It's not like the world is having to make a choice between war in Europe OR a pub in Lynn Valley. They're hardly exclusive...

As a Brit, I find the whole BC attitude towards alcohol and it's  licensing mystifying....at least the City seems marginally more progressive than the District(s)

April 8, 2022, 8:36 p.m.

Posted by: DaveM

Back in the day, the pulled pork sandwich at the Black Bear was to die for. We thought so anyways. It changed over the years but we usually had a decent post ride burger there. Sad to see it going, the parking lot was usually full of bikes on racks.

Matterhorn Burger, Ostrich patty was the gold standard.

April 8, 2022, 9:04 p.m.

Posted by: SixZeroSixOne

Such as?

It's not like the world is having to make a choice between war in Europe OR a pub in Lynn Valley. They're hardly exclusive...

As a Brit, I find the whole BC attitude towards alcohol and it's licensing mystifying....at least the City seems marginally more progressive than the District(s)

I don't drink at all, but I agree that out liquor laws are rather puritan compared to a lot of places. I think a lot of it comes down to people not wanting to put up with the nuisance that can come from excessive drinking, which means unfortunately that the freedoms of the many is restricted by the ills of the few. Like anything, the people that get involved with the political system can have an impact on policy.

Re the shit to deal with, Ukraine comes to mind but I was thinking more in our own backyard. There's the huge issue of housing all across the region, the ongoing crisis with overdose deaths, problems with access to health care, transportation issues, community ammenities and a whole bunch of bureaucracy issues that affect lifestyle or quality of life - which is partly what I think bux-bux was getting at. But if one takes the time to look at the proposal for the Black Bear site, the development is bringing 98 rental units to NVan - something that is sorely needed as there is a significant shortage of rental accommodations out there. On top of that, the development is also bringing about 12,000sqft of commercial space to a site that currently hosts only about 1600sqft (size of the Black Bear); that's close to an eight times increase in the amount of commercial floor space. That is a huge jump for using the same site! So I would guess that represents some pretty good opportunities for someone to go in there with another pub/restaurant and a lot of other opportunities as well. That space could bring about 8-12 new commercial opportunities to Lynn Valley, so who knows there might be 2 or 3 new pubs/restaurants to choose from. And as has already been mentioned, there are currently other spaces available in the area for some sort of eatery. That's why I don't get some of the outrage. I agree that it's disappointing that the BB may be lost, but does that make the DNV council "toolbags" or their vision for Lynn Valley laughable? Do people know what the OCP for Lynn Valley is? Do they know what the vision for Lynn Valley centre includes and everything that may come with it? Maybe in 6-8yrs everyone can revisit this thread and have a say as to how it turned out.

Last edited by: syncro on April 8, 2022, 9:16 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Reason: sp
April 9, 2022, 2:51 p.m.

wait a minute isnt the whole point TO act like assholes, TO take points off one another ? I can remember back in the day getting rep'ed for purposely  saying THE most stupid things I could think of but people somehow thot it was cool so wtf, people I have talked to on the gear side won't post on the NBR  cuz too many assholes,  so thats how i think of the NBR on NSMB

Last edited by: XXX_er on April 9, 2022, 8:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 11, 2022, 10:24 a.m.

As a Brit, I find the whole BC attitude towards alcohol and it's  licensing mystifying....at least the City seems marginally more progressive than the District(s)

As a Brit, you didn't have a bunch of uptight assholes ban all alcohol sales 100 years ago.  The government liquor stores and a lot of the rules that exist today are a legacy of prohibition even though it was even supported by the people of BC back then.  

What Syncro said is true too though.  I think 100 years of controlling alcohol have made it hard to allow sensible liquor laws without a bunch of assholes ruining it.  BC has a trail of lost good times ruined by idiots that can't handle their booze.  I lived in North Van 1999 to 2002 and watch the annual Hose and Reel event go from a really fun day of getting out in the spring sun and listening to music in an open field to a shitshow of of fights and mayhem locked inside 10 feet of chain link.  I think you need to have a lot of options for outdoor drinking so that all the Yahoos don't show up to the same place at once, but we never get that far.

April 11, 2022, 10:27 a.m.

I like this forum because we are typically sophisticated enough to infer the /s at the end of an obvious joke.  Lighten up man.  Burn one and go for a ride.

April 11, 2022, 5:24 p.m.

I know Syncro was being sarcastic but one of the downsides of not having a "neighborhood" pub is that some people in that neighborhood feel the need to drive to a different/distant neighborhood pub, rather than walk (too much effort) or take transit (below their social status or too inconvenient) 

Which means more people DUI...

(I'm not defending the Bear, btw, as I think it's particular souless place. I much prefer the Queen's which also happens to be nearer to my home, though ironically, not as easy to reach on transit!)

April 11, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: DaveM

Matterhorn Burger, Ostrich patty was the gold standard.

haven't been there for years, but those ostrich burgers were solid!

April 11, 2022, 5:55 p.m.

Posted by: Polymath

The direction LV is going is unfathomable to me, and I was raised there 30 years.  They introduce all of this development to cash in on the taxes but the road infrastructure cannot be improved; there are only 3 ways into LV...29th, LV Road and Mtn Hwy.  None can be widened.  I am sure those bike lanes will come in handy...and the improved transit......  and you wonder why the Ironworkers interchange area is so bad.

The same thing will be happening to harbour side by the auto mall once the development is finished in 2 years or so. They only have bewicke and fell to access harbourside unless they run a frontage road to the ports which I doubt would fly. But money talks.

April 11, 2022, 6:48 p.m.

I know Syncro was being sarcastic but one of the downsides of not having a "neighborhood" pub is that some people in that neighborhood feel the need to drive to a different/distant neighborhood pub, rather than walk (too much effort) or take transit (below their social status or too inconvenient)

Which means more people DUI...

(I'm not defending the Bear, btw, as I think it's particular souless place. I much prefer the Queen's which also happens to be nearer to my home, though ironically, not as easy to reach on transit!)

That's a fair point, although I don't know how relevant the location of drinking establishments to one's home is in terms of DUI. It would be interesting to see if there's a study that compares the rate of DUI's with the number of local pubs to see if that bears (HA!) any truth. Although considering that the most drunk place on the planet (the UK) has about half the DUI's of Canada you might be on to something. I bet if you crossed drunkeness, footy hooliganism and bad teeth the UK would be world champs.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/15/uk-is-officially-the-most-drunk-nation-on-earth-9547816/

In all seriousness though I think one of the reasons DUI is so prevalent in Canada is because it's easy to get away with it, and if you do get caught the penalties tend to be low - even if you kill someone. A good example of that is Marco Muzzo; he killed three young children and their grandfather. He only served 4 years in prison and has been granted full parole after a little over 5 years. I think another reason is that socially, it still seems that the idea of having had a few before driving is not all that big a deal. Canada happens to have the worst rate of DUI amongst all developed countries, which is about double that of the UK.

Last edited by: syncro on April 11, 2022, 6:48 p.m., edited 1 time in total.