I see alternate facts are rampant..
"Have your kids enjoy our free education system!" - property taxes fund a percentage public education in BC, I think it's about 35% right now. so if they own that bajillion dollar West Van mansion, they are actually paying
In 2016 residential school tax rates in West Vancouver are around $1.2/1000 so if their house is 3M they actually pay ~$3600 per year towards schools.
How much of that would a renter directly pay?? $0
Have your elderly parents who've never payed a dime to Canada sponge off our free medical system!
You have to be "Eligible" to qualify for MSP coverage. Which means you are a legal resident (or spouse/or child), elderly parents do not qualify, unless they themselves are residents. (yes you can buy your way in, Quebec quota, blah, blah, blah.)
So instead of saying, "Have your kids enjoy our free education system!", you're saying he would be truthful if it was amended to, "Let us subsidize your child's education by 75% while you claim no income".
Oh wait, if they're not claiming income, that means we lose out on that source of revenue.
Now that I mention it, if property taxes only cover 35% of education funding, that means we need to find the other .. hold on a sec … 65% to cover the shortfall.
Now you might be right and the rest comes from the taxes of new Porsche's and Bently's, but I will go out on a limb and say that it might come from income and consumption taxes from those that live here. Even those vile, smelly renters.
Alternate facts indeed.