The seniors are our future.

Jan. 18, 2017, 8:13 p.m.

The seniors are our future.

Truthbomb!

Jan. 18, 2017, 8:27 p.m.

wow I feel so validated !

Jan. 18, 2017, 9:32 p.m.

got a check for 27$

guess you're buying the next time i see you.

Pastor of Muppets

Jan. 19, 2017, 4:01 a.m.

Chinese are fucking up new zealand too

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/07/why-auckland-is-leading-the-worlds-housing-market-boom

I couldn't find the reference to China in the article you linked. Could it be possible that it is Canadians, or Hungarians instead/also?

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Jan. 19, 2017, 4:18 a.m.

I couldn't find the reference to China in the article you linked. Could it be possible that it is Canadians, or Hungarians instead/also?

From the article.

"Foreign investment in Auckland has boomed under the National party government (this is not confined to Auckland). According to Core Logic in 2012, 37% of buyers were investors. Today that proportion is nearly 50%, a significant number of whom are Chinese."

Now, the question is…what does a "significant number" mean?

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 19, 2017, 5:05 a.m.

it means too many

Jan. 19, 2017, 6:41 a.m.

it means too many

I think my wording might have been ambiguous. I was trying to get at the rather superficial statement in the article along the lines of "We got almost 50% of foreign investors and the largest group within this is the Chinese." So how many? 25% of the nearly 50%, with the other 20% comprised of various other nationalities? Or is it more than 30%? The devil might be in the detail.

What keeps bugging me with articles such as this is the issue why the nationalities of the investors have to be mentioned at all.

The single fact that a "significant number" of Chinese are investing in New Zealand's/Auckland's property without a mentioning of other investors is painting an odd picture, I think.

Apart from creating an anti-Chinese atmosphere and xenophobia, the info is not relevant at all.

And yes, I know how African states have been dealt with by the Chinese when it comes to deforestation and mining.

But so have other nations, or more importantly, corporations, Nestlé comes to mind.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 19, 2017, 6:46 a.m.

This is what happens when your government refuses to collect critical information that should be used to guide policy.

But don't be mad at them, it's in their best interests not to know that data.

Jan. 19, 2017, 8:26 a.m.

we the west bought all this cheap stuff which polluted china and created all them millionaires and billionaires who gotta spend the money somewhere

its all our fault

Jan. 19, 2017, 9:50 a.m.

It's not a race issue. It's a class issue. End of story.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Jan. 20, 2017, 10:03 a.m.

It's not a race issue. It's a class issue. End of story.

Its not a race issue or a class issue. Its a Lack of Class issue. Don't buy up homes and leave them empty while there is a housing shortage.

Jan. 20, 2017, 10:51 a.m.

Its not a race issue or a class issue. Its a Lack of Class issue. Don't buy up homes and leave them empty while there is a housing shortage.

Absolutely, but then the investors/"players" had not as much fun as they do while screwing up a city.

I always thought capitalism and Class were exclusive of each other.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 20, 2017, 12:43 p.m.

we the west bought all this cheap stuff which polluted china and created all them millionaires and billionaires who gotta spend the money somewhere

its all our fault

YUP! But think of the good deals you had while you shopped in wal mart. Cheap Plastic shit.

Not trying to be a dick here but Chinese economy is a scourge on earth. Horrendous human rights violations, Mass amounts of capital outflows by the 1% disrupting other countries, lax environmental regulations, profit at all cost, zero copyright enforcement, shitty ass drivers, no fucks given period. They kinda remind me of these guys:

Jan. 20, 2017, 12:46 p.m.

A

I always thought capitalism and Class were exclusive of each other.

Possibly at inception. Capitalism is now exclusive to class.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.