The Decline of Vancouver.

Nov. 23, 2016, 12:09 a.m.

How will we be able to afford it with all the Bullshit carbon taxes being forced down our throats in the near future. Someone has to support the system.

The government will use the revenue from the carbon tax to subsidize the middle class housing.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

Here's an idea. Why not build housing that the Middle Class can afford?

Because even the middle class will take advantage of the situation

Nov. 23, 2016, 9:27 a.m.

Because even the middle class will take advantage of the situation

Ugh… :(

Nov. 23, 2016, 10:11 a.m.

18 out of 79 units were intended to be affordable. of course some will be used as investment properties. hopefully global will follow up with how many affordable units went to sub 85k income families.

Nov. 23, 2016, 10:50 a.m.

It's like people with good incomes living in co-op housing. They get in on technicalities and then don't leave so that other people who actually have low incomes can move in.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 23, 2016, 11:49 a.m.

There's definitely huge loopholes that can be taken advantage of especially for incorporated businesses and even those that are not employed, but are able to make cash income…

Nov. 23, 2016, 1:02 p.m.

Here's an idea. Why not build housing that the Middle Class can afford?

Gov has been disavowing any knowledge of a problem until the elephant in the room got so fucking big it was impossible SO my point would be if the Gov had a handle on this 15 yrs ago a lot more people would be able to afford housing

Nov. 25, 2016, 1:01 p.m.

great article

http://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/canadas-public-guardians-failed-vancouverites-readers-respond

Van is ruined :(

Nov. 25, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

….
all the empty lots around me have sold … in the past couple months…rubbing my hands together in glee and hoping they invite some of their stupid friends over for a BBQ so I can sell my chunk for a nice return after the winter :)

pretty much me too…

Nov. 26, 2016, 9:04 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/investigates/clients-of-convicted-immigration-consultant-facing-deportation-for-lying-1.3868330

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 29, 2016, 2:57 p.m.

pretty much me too…

where you headed uncle duke?

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:20 a.m.

"The country’s strongest economy, British Columbia, shed 9,300 positions, mostly in the services-producing sector. The losses come after the provincial government imposed a tax on foreign housing buyers in an attempt to thwart real estate speculators and cool the housing market. Although the tax has curbed housing sales, it is unknown whether the slowdown was responsible for November’s losses or if it would lead to further declines."

Ok, so job losses 1: affordability 0.

Careful what we ask for, right?

1) Anyone here know someone who can suddenly get into the market now that there's this tax?

2) Anyone here know someone who works in housing construction, real estate or related services that has lost their job or has less work?

If we're only saying 'yes' to #2..what's been achieved here?

This tax is feeling like a Populist measure, akin to claiming of putting mfgr jobs back in the Rust Belt states.

Time will judge this move. We've already judged decision makers for not doing it sooner. So the question becomes: is it better late than never, or meaningless for the well-being of those not directly-exposed to this tax?

Full article here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/jobs/canadian-employment-report/article33132064/

NSMBA member.

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:33 a.m.

A different point of view: a false economy created by a situation that should have never occurred is now receding back to normal levels. It's quite possible that those jobs would not have existed if BC RE wasn't flooded by foreign investment. BC's problem is that its economy isn't diversified enough.

Anyways, the article in question is only posing a hypothesis. No real data linking the two.

Dec. 2, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

A different point of view: a false economy created by a situation that should have never occurred is now receding back to normal levels. It's quite possible that those jobs would not have existed if BC RE wasn't flooded by foreign investment. BC's problem is that its economy isn't diversified enough.

Anyways, the article in question is only posing a hypothesis. No real data linking the two.

This. Yeah there is going to be hurt in the home construction/reno business (and I have friends in it who I feel for) but continuing on the current path would have just led to bigger hurt in the long term. The bigger you let the bubble inflate, the harder the landing. Real estate as a % of GDP is already way waaaay out of historical norms in BC and Canada and it's not healthy.

Dec. 2, 2016, 10:28 a.m.

This. Yeah there is going to be hurt in the home construction/reno business (and I have friends in it who I feel for) but continuing on the current path would have just led to bigger hurt in the long term. The bigger you let the bubble inflate, the harder the landing. Real estate as a % of GDP is already way waaaay out of historical norms in BC and Canada and it's not healthy.

Worse comes to worse, we'll just ditch our skill set with wood and concrete, and move towards developing a new trade skill on steel pipelines instead…

Oh… Canada…