The Decline of Vancouver.

Oct. 5, 2016, 6:09 a.m.

Many Canadians didn't like the socialization of the risks taken by those who will no longer meet the stress tests. So pain for those risk takers, but they're not the masses who re-elect governments. If lots of condo projects don't get built b/c foreign buyers bail for another jurisdiction, the fall-out to watch for is the trades job losses. BC's economy is hinged on the business of building and selling housing, and we're the #1 provincial economy right now. How scary is that?

Pretty scary over-all, and especially scary since I work in residential/commercial construction.
Even though I might lose my job because of this real estate debacle, I'm still rooting for this change though. It's overdue.

:canada: :swiss:

Oct. 5, 2016, 8:02 a.m.

here's the thing, there's demand for new housing, just not at prices inflated by speculators.

Oct. 5, 2016, 8:48 a.m.

here's the thing, there's demand for new housing, just not at prices inflated by speculators.

^^^this X infinity…

housing should be for housing… not sitting on in order to flip and make big $$$…

be a resident who lives in it, or fuck off..

Oct. 5, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

not sitting on in order to flip and make big $$$…

and not pay taxes… think of the poor realtors people!

:canada:

Oct. 5, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

A big chunk of the cost of new housing cost is development fees.This is done by local gov't to keep the taxes low for the people that bought in the 70 [HTML_REMOVED] 80's's and still vote them in. If street price corrects and the developer still faces high labour, materials (we are in Canada after all) and soft costs from CityHall, they may not build.

NSMBA member.

Oct. 5, 2016, 10:55 a.m.

I don't really understand the latest move by the feds. They're trying to prevent those who primarily live [HTML_REMOVED] work outside Canada from claiming the primary residence tax break by denying it to non-residents, but they acknowledge that the bulk of these properties are registered in the names of family members who DO have permanent residency…?

Oct. 5, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

"We're trying our best!!1!"

Oct. 11, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

It keeps getting better.

Oct. 11, 2016, 9:56 p.m.

They're trying to prevent those who primarily live [HTML_REMOVED] work outside Canada from claiming the primary residence tax break by denying it to non-residents, but they acknowledge that the bulk of these properties are registered in the names of "family members" who DO have permanent residency…?

Fixed. I bet realtors, as part of due diligence, demand genealogical charts, historical artefacts and DNA samples as proof.

Oct. 11, 2016, 10:26 p.m.

What the F is wrong with this place? Doormat

Nov. 3, 2016, 9:51 p.m.

So, what do you do when the developers want to buy up a strata next door and build 5 stories of rentals with "amenities" building in place of four strata units? Public meeting next week to see if the neighbours "support" the development application.

Next to Capilano Uni.

http://www.woodbridgenw.com/communities/othello-station-north

Construction, moar traffic, transient residents…

Nov. 3, 2016, 11:01 p.m.

Ok, way too much to read through, but from last page… Tyler Durden is exactly right… the biggest impact will be in lessened development, and therefore lessened construction jobs (although that part of construction cost will lower). But the need for housing will not diminish, so just based on this one point.. prices are going to keep rising.

I could type out a dozen other reasons, but I, for one am thrilled and wish everyone who can't afford to live here should stop bitching. If you want to afford buying a single family home that you feel you deserve, go to Edmonton or Prince George. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the world… and it does, and should come at a price.

ride a horse! 1200 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs…
but riding bikes is still fun!

Nov. 4, 2016, 1:02 a.m.

I could type out a dozen other reasons, but I, for one am thrilled and wish everyone who can't afford to live here should stop bitching. If you want to afford buying a single family home that you feel you deserve, go to Edmonton or Prince George. We live in one of the most beautiful places in the world… and it does, and should come at a price.

Right. So in other words Monaco-by-the-sea, for wealthy only, peasants be gone!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 4, 2016, 10:59 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r6HamSoz2w

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Nov. 4, 2016, 11:03 a.m.

this…

and then when the affordable places like PG fill up, i guess those peasants need to move into the sea..

its funny how CDN citizens should be displaced but rich foreigners should be given the red carpet.. what a fucked up way of thinking