The Decline of Vancouver.

Aug. 19, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-18/vancouver-housing-market-implodes-average-home-price-plunges-20-1-month-market-devas

http://globalnews.ca/news/2887766/data-is-the-metro-vancouver-real-estate-market-in-free-fall/

Perhaps a touch alarmist, but c'mon, when you're kissing 4 standard deviations out from the norm, mean reversion is gonna smack yo'ass like nobody's business eventually.

IMHO, YMMV.

whether the market is "devastated or not depends on how you read the numbers. as one article pointed out, there's been a big drop in the sale of high end and west side homes, and that could significantly pull down the average home sale price.

in order to get a more accurate picture overall, you need to break down the sales by type, region and price. so what if the high end market has collapsed? if the mid and entry level market numbers are still strong then that means for the vast majority of people not much has changed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 19, 2016, 11:12 p.m.

A US fed interest rate hike would be perfect timing right now. Let's hope.

Prime rate hike of two or three percent would be catastrophic.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 20, 2016, 7:33 a.m.

We have a condo to sell, bad timing

Aug. 21, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

We have a condo to sell, bad timing

Depends on where. Condo market took longer than SFH to take off and havent bee hit too hard.

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Aug. 21, 2016, 9:05 a.m.

I was afraid we might miss the bubble, its an 1100 sq ft 2 bedroom condo which is bigger than what gets built now (all the new stuff is 800sq ft)in an [HTML_REMOVED]55 building around the white rock/surrey border close to that big mall

its still in probate

Aug. 21, 2016, 12:27 p.m.

I think the panic buttons being pressed are very premature.

All of the talk about the so called "dramatic market slowdown" are. Based on two weeks worth of activity, two weeks, in the middle of summer.

They are comparing to last summer, which was in the middle of summer too.

They also compared July to July, first six months, etc.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 21, 2016, 12:32 p.m.

So people rarely hit peak of the market selling RE, I'm not all that worried about missing a little $$$ … can't do anything anyhow

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/economist-forecasts-20-per-cent-spike-in-vancouver-rental-prices-1.3034357

Sounds like the Vancover situation^^ doesn't sound good for renters,as for the high RE affecting things up here, I think it has to cuz a million will buy alot up here so insted of buying a crack shack in east van you can buy 3 houses up here

Some orientals walked into my buddies hotel, at check-in ask if they wana sell the place?

Aug. 21, 2016, 3:07 p.m.

So people rarely hit peak of the market selling RE, I'm not all that worried about missing a little $$$ … can't do anything anyhow

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/economist-forecasts-20-per-cent-spike-in-vancouver-rental-prices-1.3034357

Sounds like the Vancover situation^^ doesn't sound good for renters,as for the high RE affecting things up here, I think it has to cuz a million will buy alot up here so insted of buying a crack shack in east van you can buy 3 houses up here

Some orientals walked into my buddies hotel, at check-in ask if they wana sell the place?

I kind of wonder how much of the 20% average rise in rental prices is due to people having to rent bigger places suitable for families because they can't afford to buy…

Aug. 21, 2016, 4:05 p.m.

S

Really? :lol: Thought "orientals" was now considered derogatory?

But yeah, I heard them orientals were buying up all the waterfront property all up the coast, eh?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Aug. 21, 2016, 4:19 p.m.

I'm Oriental so its ok, maybe I should say "My People " like Lee Lau?

Aug. 21, 2016, 4:56 p.m.

I thought that was the beginning of a joke; "Some orientals walk into a hotel…"

Thread killer

Aug. 21, 2016, 7:27 p.m.

Yes, I have a man-crush on Alan Watts.

Someone just put together a new bit to his words that I think is relevant to a few of the sub-topics here.

https://vimeo.com/176370337

Aug. 22, 2016, 1:29 a.m.

I'm Oriental so its ok, maybe I should say "My People " like Lee Lau?

All. This time I thought you where a red neck!

Aug. 22, 2016, 6:30 a.m.

All. This time I thought you where a red neck!

i was fooled too. we need like a lapel system…

Aug. 22, 2016, 7:52 a.m.

He's only said "people always think that I'm David Suzuki" like a million times.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.