The Decline of Vancouver.

Aug. 16, 2016, 4:41 p.m.

There are alternatives to the white picket fence dream of ownership.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

I would guess that these people:
A) Had their parents pay for their education
B) Lived with their parents rent-free (and grocery expense free, etc.) while they saved up all that money

Even if you have two spouses with solid professional jobs, it's really hard to save up that much money that quickly if you have legitimate ongoing living expenses (rent, food, car, phone, internet, cable, etc.). Either that or they lived in a crappy basement apartment, ate Kraft dinner, and stared at the wall the whole time.

Aug. 16, 2016, 5:05 p.m.

Wasn't this not supposed to be the case? She put a 10% deposit on a townhouse in July.

There is the option to resell the property.

The tax is due when it's transferred into her name, if she re-sells the property she won't need to pay it. So there is a third option not listed in the article.

Aug. 16, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

http://www.millennial-revolution.com/invest/how-we-got-here-part-4-the-bearded-one/

So they did fuck all for 9 years saving.
Took the bus , no car.
Never bought anything, never really went anywhere. (one vacation a year)
"On vacation for the rest of their lives!"
Good for them, looks like no one will miss them. They probably nickle and dimed their former friends to death.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Aug. 16, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

just as a side note how the fuck does a single grad student qualify for a 600K mortgage ???

Sooooo…. you didn't actually read the article then?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Aug. 16, 2016, 8:20 p.m.

There are alternatives to the white picket fence dream of ownership.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/house-investment-wealth-1.3716641

They doubled their $500,000 to $1 million in 4 1/2 years investing in a 50-50 split of stocks and fixed-income.. That's like 17% anually compounded growth or 22% year-on-year over 4 1/2 years. I'm sure everyone could do that … in their sleep. Sounds like a plan for the rest of us.

But yeah, i get it that many people waste too much of their disposable income on stuff they don't need.

Aug. 16, 2016, 9:37 p.m.

Either that or they lived in a crappy basement apartment, ate Kraft dinner, and stared at the wall the whole time.

Or others who are living the white picket fence dream and eating quite well out of thier garden, not buying fancy new bikes every year, but still riding the shit out of what they have, enjoying life and all it has to offer.

You can do anything you want if you set your priorities according to your desires.

Or keep bitching on the internet.

Aug. 16, 2016, 10 p.m.

What the fuck s wrong with living in a van down by the river?

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 16, 2016, 10:06 p.m.

There is the option to resell the property.

The tax is due when it's transferred into her name, if she re-sells the property she won't need to pay it. So there is a third option not listed in the article.

Fourth option also not listed is I have yellow fever that borders on plague status.

That couples rent is/was $800/month.

I know, I know. I should pick myself up my bootstraps and maximize my shareholder dividends

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Aug. 16, 2016, 10:25 p.m.

What the fuck s wrong with living in a van down by the river?

Go to the camper/trailer adventure thread. There they think it would be the shitznitz.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 16, 2016, 11:10 p.m.

Or others who are living the white picket fence dream and eating quite well out of thier garden, not buying fancy new bikes every year, but still riding the shit out of what they have, enjoying life and all it has to offer.

You can do anything you want if you set your priorities according to your desires.

Or keep bitching on the internet.

It's as easy as this. Nothing external is affecting housing supply.

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:08 a.m.

Go to the camper/trailer adventure thread. There they think it would be the shitznitz.

Exactly. The older I get the more I see the value in not being locked down. The ability to roam. Even with 4 kids, a wife, a demanding job. I am starting to think "going mobile" would increase quality of life.

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:32 a.m.

And your kids will be able to move up in the world a lot easier.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 17, 2016, 8:45 a.m.

4 kids

you beast. never let them outnumber you is my rule of thumb.

Aug. 17, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

I figure if I can raise at least one of them right I'll have somebody to take care of me when I'm old and demented.
:idea:

Wrong. Always.

Aug. 17, 2016, 12:35 p.m.

Nothing external is affecting housing supply.

um… what?