The Decline of Vancouver.

July 25, 2016, 2:19 p.m.

that's already happening.

this tax is simply a poor excuse to say "hey look, we're doing something."

LOL.. me surprized ???? nope not at all…

:swearing:

July 25, 2016, 2:27 p.m.

AND it might generate some more tax revenue …no downside

besides the genie got out of the bottle [HTML_REMOVED] 10yrs ago

July 25, 2016, 3:02 p.m.

What's it really going to change?

Buys them time past the election before the majority realize this will do nothing.

July 25, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

Finance Minister Mike de Jong unveiled the tax as part of legislation aimed at addressing low vacancy rates and high real estate prices in southern B.C.

"For example, the additional tax on the purchase of a home selling for $2 million to a foreign national will amount to an additional $300,000," de Jong told members of the legislature.

Will see what happens….

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

July 25, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/housing-affordability-racism-1.3676601

We havent heard any rascist accusations yet this^^ artical has chinese complaining about the problem and the fact every time it gets discussed the rascist card gets played

I doubt the libs really understand where the money is coming from and they don't appear to wana find out

July 25, 2016, 4:10 p.m.

We're so fucked.
If I had mega cash I'd buy in Vic and elsewhere cause that's just where they shuffled the problem along too.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

July 25, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

We're so fucked.
If I had mega cash I'd buy in Vic and elsewhere cause that's just where they shuffled the problem along too.

My sister and her BF were successfully outbid on houses in Vic for almost a year :|

Okanagan.

Real estate buyers are now touring by helicopter to look at acreages. Locals are getting seriously pissed by the low flying choppers buzzing around all day on a sunny day.

Vic, Okanagan, Sunshine Coast

I've noticed an increase in air traffic over my house. I recall hearing similar concerns about low flying aircraft due to real estate before the last crash.

That big concrete castle halfway up the bypass has a bunch of advertisement signs placed at the bottom of its roadway. Saw a few SUVs with asians driving up that way the other weekend.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

July 25, 2016, 4:59 p.m.

"With the Canadian dollar relatively low and Europe looking increasingly uncertain because of Brexit, there could be more interest in commercial real estate here in the year ahead, it predicted."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cbre-commercial-real-estate-chinese-1.3659847

still a good place to invest!

If the idea of this tax is to stop speculation then why stop at only 15%

why not 50% ?

or 100% ?

July 25, 2016, 5:37 p.m.

"With the Canadian dollar relatively low and Europe looking increasingly uncertain because of Brexit, there could be more interest in commercial real estate here in the year ahead, it predicted."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cbre-commercial-real-estate-chinese-1.3659847

still a good place to invest!

If the idea of this tax is to stop speculation then why stop at only 15%

why not 50% ?

or 100% ?

Because the gov't wants to increase their revenue and appear to be 'doing something about it' without actually affecting any real change?

People that write cheques for 1 or more multi-million dollar properties, then bulldoze them, won't even blink over this "solution".

This also does exactly nothing to address the foreigners that live mortgage-free, in multi million dollar homes, and declare poverty level incomes, while contributing nothing to our social systems and collecting every gov't benefit they can find.

July 25, 2016, 6:51 p.m.

that's already happening.

this tax is simply a poor excuse to say "hey look, we're doing something."

This is a major win-win for the BC Liberals. They can say took serious action, and they'll pull in a lot of revenue that they can use to balance the books.

The added revenue will do nothing to make housing affordable for low income earners that need to live in the lower mainland.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 26, 2016, 6:08 a.m.

….
as it stands too much money to be made buying marginal ALR land cheap and getting it rezoned and removed.

um……

July 26, 2016, 12:50 p.m.

It really feels like we are at a tipping point. There are major news stories daily on the decline of Vancouver. Joe average is mad as hell. The next few months is going to be interesting. Lets hope its not too late… :(

July 26, 2016, 2:01 p.m.

It really feels like we are at a tipping point. There are major news stories daily on the decline of Vancouver. Joe average is mad as hell. The next few months is going to be interesting. Lets hope its not too late… :(

Agreed. Although I think your comments can be applied well outside of Vancouver. See: Trump, Brexit etc…

Ha. And actually, check this out. Turns out yesterday's announcement was just a pre-emptive strike from Christy knowing that today they were going to admit what the public knew all along regarding the shortcomings of the previously announced data:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/new-stats-show-1-in-10-home-sales-in-vancouver-region-went-to-foreign-buyers/article31121420/

July 26, 2016, 3:57 p.m.

WOW. I fucking knew it! We all knew it.

July 26, 2016, 4:09 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME