The Decline of Vancouver.

June 1, 2016, 8:08 p.m.

Which makes the thought that you can "invest" in real estate super dumb to me.. its a basic need for life, like investing for water and food. leave that shit alone from your greed stupid humans.

Unfortunately there is nothing in our Charter that says you have the right to a house.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 1, 2016, 8:18 p.m.

Unfortunately there is nothing in our Charter that says you have the right to a house.

Fortunately there are people in our country who can see past their nose and realize it's a bad idea to allow citizens of other countries to use their ill gotten gains to speculate on our housing stock.

Here's to hoping we can undo the damage we've done this far.

Even though my schadenfreude would end up cutting myself, I hope this place burns to the ground.

The sooner Dunning-Kruger combines with Darwin, the better off the human race will be.

June 1, 2016, 10:04 p.m.

Talked to an electrician today who is from Ireland. He has been living [HTML_REMOVED] working here for 4 years now [HTML_REMOVED] is planning on moving back to Ireland in about a year. He says it's too hard here to make a living [HTML_REMOVED] get anywhere ie; buy a house [HTML_REMOVED] raise a family. Cost of living [HTML_REMOVED] real estate prices are driving him out.

Thread killer

June 1, 2016, 10:19 p.m.

Talked to an electrician today who is from Ireland. He has been living [HTML_REMOVED] working here for 4 years now [HTML_REMOVED] is planning on moving back to Ireland in about a year. He says it's too hard here to make a living [HTML_REMOVED] get anywhere ie; buy a house [HTML_REMOVED] raise a family. Cost of living [HTML_REMOVED] real estate prices are driving him out.

yeah, but there's not much demand in vancouver for having lights run off of potatoes.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 1, 2016, 10:39 p.m.

I'd love to have a penthouse in Manhattan, on Fifth Avenue. But I probably couldn't make enough money to afford it. They should do something about that.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 1, 2016, 10:52 p.m.

I'd love to have a penthouse in Manhattan, on Fifth Avenue. But I probably couldn't make enough money to afford it. They should do something about that.

You keep coming back to this strawman in different ways, but… You didn't really just compare Manhattan with the Lower Mainland, did you?

June 1, 2016, 11:11 p.m.

Yes, I did. Some people can't understand the basic economic principle of supply and demand.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

June 2, 2016, 6:31 a.m.

Yes, I did. Some people can't understand the basic economic principle of supply and demand.

Hang on a minute….

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/tragically-hip-scalper-outrage-1.3610489

June 2, 2016, 7:11 a.m.

If it were really that easy this thread wouldn't exist and all our focus would be on how much better Harper/Trudeau is better than Harper/Trudeau.

June 2, 2016, 7:14 a.m.

but consider that much of that was marketed directly at foreign buyers, there was really no local market for those properties. when the bubble burst in spain a big part of that was brits no longer buying vacation properties. so while there is definitely an argument to be had for foreign investment in vancouver's condo market it's not nearly on the same scale as the spanish example or the market developers there were trying to cash in on. in vancouver there is still a strong need for primary residences.

The scale isn't the same you are right. But I do see the similarities. current prices are not directed at the local - 50,000 a year income- market. If the foreigners stop buying- ?????

June 2, 2016, 8:41 a.m.

I think spain also spent big money on infrastructure that they couldn't afford, biking thru the country side following the Camino de Santiago we seen elevated super highways with no cars on them, a 4 lane super highway had to have cost big $$$$ elevated hundreds of meters above a medieval villages that had been there for 1000 years

Also seen LOTS of abandoned construction projects none of the contruction cranes were moving, empty car showrooms, a golf course/town with nobody in it nobody playing golf but the sprinklers were still on and the little village on the outskirts was still there like it had been for a 1000 yrs

I liked spain, great wine in spain and since we are talking about supply n demand they overproduced grapes so spanih wine is fucking cheap right now

June 2, 2016, 9:45 a.m.

They did do something about it. The ferry to Staten Island is free. People that work in Manhattan have more affordable options than people working here.

June 2, 2016, 10:42 a.m.

They did do something about it. The ferry to Staten Island is free. People that work in Manhattan have more affordable options than people working here.

Great point - that's another big problem with Vancouver, the LACK of decent transportation. In most world class cities (London, NYC, Tokyo, etc.) they have sufficient options so that you can live pretty far outside of the city (in a more affordable area) and still easily commute to work each day. In Vancouver, if you live more than 20km from your job you probably have a min 1 hour commute each way.

Have they ever discussed creating more routes for the West Coast Express? For example, one line straight south through Richmond to White Rock and another through Surrey and to Langley? Would make a lot more sense for someone who works downtown to live in Langley if they could just jump on a train and be downtown in 30 mins.

June 2, 2016, 10:57 a.m.

West coast express only works because it's cp line directly to downtown.

June 2, 2016, 11:26 a.m.

West coast express only works because it's cp line directly to downtown.

Makes sense.

Is there even a potential route that they could use for additional lines? I'm just thinking of the Go Train in Toronto. It's Toronto's equivalent of the West Coast Express but they have many different lines going in all different directions. Having something like that in Vancouver would be great…