The Decline of Vancouver.

April 25, 2016, 4:02 p.m.

Your views on this are not unique and quite honestly it is the reason that perfectly nice people feel OK making unethical decisions and forcing their tenants to make really hard life choices on an annual basis. There is a reason the tenancy act capped rent increases and why landlords have to utilize fixed term leases to avoid these laws.

In my situation the owners bought the place 4 or 5 years ago, at a much lower rate and I am sure they calculated costs, analyzed their risk and made their decision on the market at that time. They claimed they wanted long term tenants (and I claimed I would be one… snickers), but unless they thought I would be getting a 20% annual raise I am suspicious of that claim.

The finger should be pointed at the landlords, end of story. If they didn't subvert the tenancy act every chance they get the there would be some stability in the market, but instead there are families all over town scared shitless once a year that they will be out on their asses looking for a new place to put a roof over their heads.

Limiting increases is one thing but I think the real rub that people fear is

1. they cant get rid of a shitty tenant without a huge hassle.
2. Big headaches with your strata because your tenant is a douchebag.
3. half a months rent damage deposit dosnt cover real world costs in many cases.

so places sit empty because its just not worth the pain in the ass. At least in my friends case he at least uses it for the two weeks holidays he spends here.

April 25, 2016, 4:11 p.m.

3. half a months rent damage deposit dosnt cover real world costs in many cases.

so places sit empty because its just not worth the pain in the ass. At least in my friends case he at least uses it for the two weeks holidays he spends here.

1) Do your due dilligence when choosing a tenant. When you find a good one that wants to stick around, recognize the value provided by both parties by not being a douchebag and running your rental business in the spirit of legislation drawn up by the tenancy act. Residual risk is your cost of doing business.

2) Don't rent out in a building where the strata doesn't allow rentals. Otherwise, see 1).

3) Again, see 1). I was in the last apartment I rented for 2.5 years. In that time I cost my landlord the cost to repair a leaking, cracked shower fitting, and the cost to repair a towel rail that came out of the drywall. The latter I fixed myself and just sent my landlord a receipt for the hardware from home depot.

If you do the above math and decide it isn't worth the cost of doing business to you and would rather leave the property empty and still figure it's worth your return after all relevant fees, taxes etc, then all the power to you.

April 25, 2016, 4:20 p.m.

1) Do your due dilligence when choosing a tenant. When you find a good one that wants to stick around, recognize the value provided by both parties by not being a douchebag and running your rental business in the spirit of legislation drawn up by the tenancy act. Residual risk is your cost of doing business.

2) Don't rent out in a building where the strata doesn't allow rentals. Otherwise, see 1).

3) Again, see 1). I was in the last apartment I rented for 2.5 years. In that time I cost my landlord the cost to repair a leaking, cracked shower fitting, and the cost to repair a towel rail that came out of the drywall. The latter I fixed myself and just sent my landlord a receipt for the hardware from home depot.

If you do the above math and decide it isn't worth the cost of doing business to you and would rather leave the property empty and still figure it's worth your return after all relevant fees, taxes etc, then all the power to you.

Im no landlord but that's my take on why so many rentable places sit empty which is a bit of a shame.

Im sure shitty landlords would just fuck people over if they changed the rules in their favor. as usual is the 20% of the population that are the shitheads that ruin it for most.

April 25, 2016, 4:21 p.m.

Agreed with Flip. The fact that Rat's friend is happy to sit on his property and not rent it out shows that he knows he is going to make a good return on his 'risk' in the long run, even without the additional rental income.

Rat's friend 'thinks', not 'know's he's going to get a good return. But that's just pedantics.

Big Ted, I'm not trying to shut you down, but I find this an interesting conversation topic, so with that perspective in mind, here I go…

My use of 'investor' is different to 'speculator'. Someone with either little or no intent to use capital to provide a service is simply a speculator.

While I agree with Flip, and your assessment of the first scenario you present, I'm not sure I agree with your remaining comments.

Any service provider is reliant on income to pay for the costs of providing the service, plus profit, or why would they provide the service? This applies to making iPhones, mowing lawns, and providing rental stock. There are 2 ways for rental stock to be made available. One is social housing provided by the state, and the other is private housing stock owned by investors. The pros and cons of social housing are pretty easy to assess and I won't get into that here, but suffice to say I think that on aggregate better diversification of demographics in the community is both desirable and better achieved by privately held rental stock. It would be difficult to have a discussion about your other comments if we can't agree on this, but I will assume that you do.

If you are reliant on rental income to pay your mortgage, and are whining about all the 'risk' you are taking on by renting your property out, you probably shouldn't have bought in the first place."

Being reliant on income to pay for an investment is the only scenario under which anyone would bother providing a service. Either it's to pay for the mortgage and the gamut of other expenses, or to pay for opportunity cost of the cash invested (plus said gamut of other expenses). Not sure where 'whining' about risk comes into play, but risk is the basis of a properly functioning capitalist system (and hence why the removal of it almost destroyed the global economy, but that's another essay altogether). Rental income is the reward for the risk taken, and the mortgage is only one possible cost that must be covered, or the risk is not worth taking, leading to a lack of supply of rental stock.

If you find a good tenant that provides you rent that allows you to keep making payments on a mortgage that allows you to own a property…

This is the only sustainable solution, yet as from examples I provided earlier the market can change for the worse and not allow this situation to happen. Market resale value of property falls and the owner can't sell, so they choose to rent it out, but the rental market has fallen and they can't cover expenses.

on which you are going to make a significant capital gain

Maybe in the long run, but in the example I provided earlier this is not the case, and nobody can say what is going to happen next (RISK). People expecting this to make up for shortfalls in expenses are speculating and not investing (agree that plenty of this is happening).

Well then you probably need to accept the fact that, in order to keep them around in the long run, it's worth renting out to them at below 'market rate' in order to mitigate the risk of getting a shitty tenant.

I don't agree that you have to accept providing your service for below fair market value ad infinitum, once the market turns from out of your favor to in your favor as the proviso for not having a shitty tenant. I would guess the stats would show that tenants that can afford less rent are more likely to be shitty.

I would argue that rent control favors the party who provides zero capital and takes on zero risk, and this will cause downward pressure on supply of properties that fit into that category (those willing to supply recurring leases) and upward pressure on rents that don't fit into that category (fixed term leases). This results in owners selling properties, doing renovations, or lying about family members moving in, to terminate these agreements. This is exactly what is being reported.

But that's kind of off track to my central argument, which to repeat myself is simply that I believe tenants who provide zero capital and zero risk have little to stand on when a landlord exercises their right to demand fair market value for a service they are providing at significant expense, opportunity cost and risk.

I'll get off track a bit more here to say (and I'm talking about Squamish here), that while I think the property market is in a bubble, I don't believe rental markets can really be affected by bubble behavior to any realistic extent. Unless people are renting out places to then sublet at higher rates (which I have not heard of happening here yet), there is no speculation in the rental market, and hence little motivation for bubble behavior, and is simply supply and demand dynamics. This then loops my head back to think about the intrinsic rental value here, which then would suggest that perhaps we are not actually in a resale bubble either, since the rental values actually do support the resale values (for the time being).

The only way to correct the rental situation is to either increase supply or reduce demand. Hard to control demand. So this comes back to either creating more social housing stock or by building more stock to sell to investors. I suppose the 3rd way is to have so much new stock that it crashes the resale values and makes it more affordable to buy so more people will buy than rent. But the problem with that is people still need a deposit to buy, which most people renting do not have. You could reduce the deposit required, but that was tested and it drives prices through the roof. So it's all pretty complicated, but the bottom line is if you don't have enough rental stock, your rents will be high. If you can't make money renting out that stock, less people will make it available to rent out. And you can totally F it all up by making speculating on empty units more profitable which throws the whole thing out of whack.

Shit, is anyone even going to read all that crap? Time for me to get offline.

April 25, 2016, 4:37 p.m.

That is what they tell themselves, but I don't see anyone offering some sort of increase protection in their fixed term leases or offering anyone a month to month lease once they have proven they are good tenants. The simple fact is that this practice screws good tenants far more than it offers protections to good landlords.

April 25, 2016, 4:55 p.m.

In hindsight we all should have seen this coming. BC stands for bring cash, and there was increasingly more and more asian immigration into van in the early 2000's. Combine that with the long term trend of interest rates dropping, its a no brainier housing has gone ballistic.

What a jip! My wife wants an 800k mortgage and I say f*ck that. May have to end up dissolving the family unit over real estate. :???:

April 25, 2016, 5:04 p.m.

In hindsight we all should have seen this coming. BC stands for bring cash, and there was increasingly more and more asian immigration into van in the early 2000's. Combine that with the long term trend of interest rates dropping, its a no brainier housing has gone ballistic.

What a jip! My wife wants an 800k mortgage and I say f*ck that. May have to end up dissolving the family unit over real estate. :???:

if only I had money to put done 10 years ago, when I didn't have money to put down…..at least my wife isn't wanting crazy pricey RE, but even then, pickin's are mighty slim out there right now, and it doesn't appear to be getting better, and we're two professionals with money in the bank to put down….at least our rent is super cheap, being in a housing authority restricted rate unit.

April 25, 2016, 5:26 p.m.

If you miss one months rent because you tried to fuck your tennant over for which they fucked you back you could have made the same money as if the rent was 10% less, you would have no cleaning, no painting, no showing the place, no advertising

just the same guy for years on end and no hassles

April 25, 2016, 5:29 p.m.

[QUOTE=flattire;2915249 My wife wants an 800k mortgage and I say f*ck that. May have to end up dissolving the family unit over real estate. :???:

then yer both fucked, may be net cheaper to get the 800K mortgage

April 25, 2016, 6:37 p.m.

if only I had money to put done 10 years ago, when I didn't have money to put down…..at least my wife isn't wanting crazy pricey RE, but even then, pickin's are mighty slim out there right now, and it doesn't appear to be getting better, and we're two professionals with money in the bank to put down….at least our rent is super cheap, being in a housing authority restricted rate unit.

take advantage of the cheap rent there for a few more years, in the meantime buy a rental property somewhere you might want to live in the future to build equity, sock money away while you have cheap rent then "retire" to that place at a way cheaper price afterwards???

April 25, 2016, 6:44 p.m.

If you miss one months rent because you tried to fuck your tennant over for which they fucked you back you could have made the same money as if the rent was 10% less, you would have no cleaning, no painting, no showing the place, no advertising

just the same guy for years on end and no hassles

word to that. My last landlords were poor excuses of the word (they also happened to be a college professor/yoga instructor couple with lotsa money and a moral high-horse, but I digress). when the downstairs people moved out and they did their final inspection, the landlords said they would return the damage deposit but later started waffling and finally didn't return it.

Guess what happened? the three 20 years olds downstairs took them to court, proceedings took 5 months or something and cost the landlords a big pile of money and headaches. Ran into one of the downstairs tenants later and she said "oh, at this point we don't care if we get our damage deposit back, we just want to make sure we make those fuckers paaaaaaay". And I'm really happy to say they did. Every action has a reaction, one douche deserves another etc.

April 25, 2016, 6:59 p.m.

I was up In the hills of West Van on the weekend. Lots of nice old homes with big yards in the British Properties being bulldozed and replaced by huge footprint palaces. Also plenty of homes that clearly have nobody living in them. The west side seems to get all the publicity but it isn't that isolated.

April 25, 2016, 7:58 p.m.

That is what they tell themselves, but I don't see anyone offering some sort of increase protection in their fixed term leases or offering anyone a month to month lease once they have proven they are good tenants. The simple fact is that this practice screws good tenants far more than it offers protections to good landlords.

What's the penalty if you walk away a month after you move In with your 1 year lease. Do you have to pay the next 11 months rent like a Comercial lease contract?

April 25, 2016, 8:03 p.m.

http://www.moneysense.ca/spend/real-estate/8-factors-that-really-mess-up-vancouvers-real-estate-prices/

Some interesting factors that havent yet been brought up.

Technology- you can buy from China in your smartphone

Desire to grow - COV wants to grow to accommodate influx of people still coming.

April 25, 2016, 8:27 p.m.

What's the penalty if you walk away a month after you move In with your 1 year lease. Do you have to pay the next 11 months rent like a Comercial lease contract?

If you signed a contract the LL can sue you for loss of rent which could be proved in court but it might be smarter to just find a new tennant ASAP to cut the losses but then the LL can't show a loss which I think that might limit the LL's claim of loss when/if they actualy get you to court?

I just go month to month requiring one months notice, I have never bothered with a lease, its never been a problem to find a new tennant with 1 months notice, no loss of income for 5 yrs and this last set of renters has been down there for almost 3 yrs