The Decline of Vancouver.

April 7, 2016, 8 a.m.

To add another perspective, we moved to Vernon last summer after 10 years in East Van. I telecommute and my other half is a teacher so we've got an income and need much less to live on than we did in Van - it's nice to have that, given we just had a kid.

We miss the food and general vibes of Van, but traded that for trails and a lake that we can walk or bike to, and what we've found to be a really friendly and welcoming community.

We knew the kid was going to change out lives, so we decided to change everything - so far we are having a very good time. Anyone who is feeling trapped by the cost of living in Van and can find a way to work away from the city should give it some serious consideration…

April 7, 2016, 9:21 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-needs-new-bylaws-for-airbnb-crackdown-says-councillor-1.3514217

These politians need a slap upside the head….

Air BNB is the problem? Go down to Lower Lonsdale, Coal Harbour at night and see how many lights are off in the condo units that are unoccupied. ****

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

April 7, 2016, 9:54 a.m.

the air bnb thing is bs. I think it's the hotel industry that's pissed off about it. they pay taxes to run a business etc.. and get shafted. same as uber and taxi cabs.

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

April 7, 2016, 10:07 a.m.

Why rent out your place for locals when you can do nightly and earn more than double?

April 7, 2016, 10:38 a.m.

Facebook ad says that the government of BC's steps to protect Canada's strongest economy is working. Then they have this clickable link:

Making housing affordable for families .

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

April 7, 2016, 1:28 p.m.

the air bnb thing is bs. I think it's the hotel industry that's pissed off about it. they pay taxes to run a business etc.. and get shafted. same as uber and taxi cabs.

I think it contributes to the problem of economic disparity through allowing those wealthy enough to own property to make money from those not wealthy enough to buy, but I agree that it's probably a drop in the ocean compared to foreign investment. Trouble is, it's way easier to go after airbnb listings than it is to go after shell corporations and anonymous controlling officers living abroad.

April 7, 2016, 5:12 p.m.

How is Airbnb any different than VRBO.com?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 7, 2016, 5:47 p.m.

Why rent out your place for locals when you can do nightly and earn more than double?

becuz you can do virtualy nothing but collect rent for years whereas nightly rental you will be doing more dropping by lots, washing some towels, advertising ect

April 7, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

becuz you can do virtualy nothing but collect rent for years whereas nightly rental you will be doing more dropping by lots, washing some towels, advertising ect

There are services you can pay for that will do all that for you… and you will come out far, far ahead if you are in a desirable place.

If I did either to my place in Whistler, I could probably get a full year of rent on two to three months of nightly AirBnB rentals.

April 7, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

And maybe you get more wear n tear more hassles such as what will probably happen to airBnB LLs pretty quick in vancover but its not really comparing apples [HTML_REMOVED] apples

April 7, 2016, 6:24 p.m.

And maybe you get more wear n tear more hassles such as what will probably happen to airBnB LLs pretty quick in vancover but its not really comparing apples [HTML_REMOVED] apples

I've seen some homes that were rented out to seasonaires that needed to be burnt to the ground after their year was up.

Either option isn't worth it in my books.

April 7, 2016, 7:29 p.m.

There are services you can pay for that will do all that for you… and you will come out far, far ahead if you are in a desirable place.

If I did either to my place in Whistler, I could probably get a full year of rent on two to three months of nightly AirBnB rentals.

Especially given that you pay tax on the rental income but not on the AirB[HTML_REMOVED]B $$

NSMBA member.

April 7, 2016, 7:34 p.m.

just fucking unreal - another place sells for a million over asking. 15 years ago a place like this might have maybe gotten 1 million. that's a four fold increase in 15 years. i gotta stop checking prices, it's too fucking depressing.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/04/vancouver-home-1-million-over-asking-price-dunbar/

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

April 7, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

…..finally, some outrage.

April 7, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

…..finally, some outrage.

i blame the drywallers.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer