The Decline of Vancouver.

April 1, 2016, 10:09 p.m.

Completely jealous.

I need to grow a pair and leave - tough to do with a business and family ties, but I'm sure we wouldn't be the only ones.

Do it man! My wife and I debated leaving Vancouver for a long time. I was pushing for the SSC for years. Having a kid really expedited the decision as well as the glaring realization that Vancouver has completely gone in the shitter in the last 5-7 years. So many clients and friends I speak with all want to leave but feel tied to Vancouver. If you have any flexibility with your work schedule the SSC makes a ton of sense. We bought in Davis Bay (between Robert's Creek [HTML_REMOVED] Sechelt) and we are pinching ourselves daily with our lives and surroundings here. As sad as it is to see most of our close friends leave Vancouver, everyone of them are significantly happier for having done it, ourselves included. We have zero regrets.

April 1, 2016, 10:09 p.m.

This has been the busiest the market has ever been on the SSC. We bought at the perfect time. Our house has gone up at least $75,000 since we bought 3 months ago and has already surpassed $500k.

you guys are water front? sorry didn't read that part davis bay. well it is def nice there.. i still think 75 k in 3 months? that seems lofty man.. i own two acreages in roberts creek, maybe now is the time to peace out to powell river?

April 1, 2016, 11:31 p.m.

you guys are water front? sorry didn't read that part davis bay. well it is def nice there.. i still think 75 k in 3 months? that seems lofty man.. i own two acreages in roberts creek, maybe now is the time to peace out to powell river?

We bought for $432,000 at the end of December and lesser homes in the immediate area have sold in the past 2 weeks for well over $500,000. The market is bonkers here at the moment. We bought a solid traditional family home in a prime location with an unreal view. The ex-owners were separating and wanted out and we pounced and got it for a great price.

Are you below the highway? Even of you're not there is a massive demand for large lots in Roberts Creek. So many people are cashing out of Vancouver and moving up here and building to suit. A client that I sold a property to just up from the Gumboot in the Fall is having to wait a year to get a quality builder to build him a detached 2 car garage. All the builders here are swamped because of the demand.

As long as the Vancouver market stupidity continues the prices will continue to climb on the SSC. If you're not in a rush to sell I'd hold off and cash out later in the year at the earliest. I just get the sense that this latest mad rush to buy real estate on the Sunshine Coast is just the tip of the iceberg (sadly). We bought over here to escape the madness not get thrown back into it.

April 2, 2016, 6:17 a.m.

well whoever sold to you is no doubt wishing they had waited a bit. yes I'm below the hi way. i don't plan on selling anytime soon. i am optimistic prices will keep going up.

April 2, 2016, 7:06 a.m.

A house on my street sold late last year. It's been on the market since I moved to the neighbourhood. Now it's vacant…

I've been caught at the Langdale terminal a few times already this year. Twice??? This will be the summer I slit my throat due to traffic congestion.

If one had little to zero desire or need to travel to VanCity on the reg they'd cash out, load up on toys and move Narth!

i agree traffic is already ramping up big time. i have had some van driving soccer moms pissed w me lately. hello did you notice the mid nineties f250 loaded w building material? mutter mutter fuk.

in 2001 when i moved here the coast was in a property rush. it lasted nearly 6 yrs. i am hoping to watch this one carefully and pull the trigger near the end of the rise not the beginning. when i bought my langdale house i bumped into the previous owner a yr later and he said, had he waited a year i would have had to pay 100k more. he was right. same as what mike is saying.

i knew things were happening but i hadn't realized things were quite that hot here.

April 2, 2016, 8:18 a.m.

the market is bonkers everywhere, even similar units in pemby that sold a month ago for 400g are asking 450g now….when stuff gets this crazy and fever pitched, I can't help but feel like something bad is going to happen soon….

April 2, 2016, 8:27 a.m.

apparently RE is dropping a little up here

April 2, 2016, 8:35 a.m.

I can't help but feel like something bad is going to happen soon….

oh don't worry about that shit, it will keep you up at night. the world is going to hell in a hand basket and we are all going to die…

April 2, 2016, 9:12 a.m.

i knew things were happening but i hadn't realized things were quite that hot here.

I was surprised how almost everything had a sold sign on the lower part of the coast when I was visiting last month, I guess alot more people from Vancouver are looking at the ssc as a commutable neighbourhood now. My folks sold their place in Lower Gibsons exactly a year ago because they say it was starting to feel like a west van suburb, soccer moms, worried about the george development on the waterfront etc etc.

Anyways they bought in roberts creek, much happier there, they talked to the realtor who sold them the place 10 months later and she said if they chose to re-sell they could easily get 70-80k more than they paid. Most of that gets gobbled up by realtor fees, taxes etc plus they'd still need a place to live so they have no plans to move but still crazy to hear it went up that much. If you see my dad at the gumboot say hi.

Powell River or up North is probably the place to move, keeping my eyes open up there because Nelson is disgustingly gentrified now and I can't stand having to deal with the self rightous yuppies who just moved from calgary/vancouver/edmonton/wherever and living off daddy's trust fund taking hot yoga classes and drinking wheatgrass shots

April 2, 2016, 10:04 a.m.

I was surprised how almost everything had a sold sign on the lower part of the coast when I was visiting last month, I guess alot more people from Vancouver are looking at the ssc as a commutable neighbourhood now. My folks sold their place in Lower Gibsons exactly a year ago because they say it was starting to feel like a west van suburb, soccer moms, worried about the george development on the waterfront etc etc.

Anyways they bought in roberts creek, much happier there, they talked to the realtor who sold them the place 10 months later and she said if they chose to re-sell they could easily get 70-80k more than they paid. Most of that gets gobbled up by realtor fees, taxes etc plus they'd still need a place to live so they have no plans to move but still crazy to hear it went up that much. If you see my dad at the gumboot say hi.

Powell River or up North is probably the place to move, keeping my eyes open up there because Nelson is disgustingly gentrified now and I can't stand having to deal with the self rightous yuppies who just moved from calgary/vancouver/edmonton/wherever and living off daddy's trust fund taking hot yoga classes and drinking wheatgrass shots

It was always like that, the class of trust fund kids is just getting richer.

"X is for x-ray. If you've been bikin' and you haven't had an x-ray, you ain't goin' hard enough." - Bob Roll

April 2, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

The issue with Powell River is there is only XC trails! :P

Or as two guys pointed out to me a half dozen years ago, "The trails aren't like The Shore" :lol:

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 2, 2016, 1:54 p.m.

There is no easy way in or out of Powell River is there…its like bfnowhere.

April 2, 2016, 4:16 p.m.

It was always like that, the class of trust fund kids is just getting richer.

unfortunately that's true however there used to be a bigger population of people that actually believed in the benefits of wheatgrass and hot yoga (whatever there is to believe), but now we're seeing a much bigger influx of douche-canoe trucks from alberta, milfs who drive their kids 3 blocks to school in a gleaming BMW then another couple blocks down to the health food store to grab some cleansing tonics before driving a couple blocks back home. It's all fine and dandy except people are moving from big cities to escape that kind of thing, but they're bringing the same habits along with them and don't even realize it.

At least Free Tibet stickers went out of style a few years ago, nothing worse than seeing those on the back of a $50k luxury car

April 2, 2016, 11:20 p.m.

Wow … so many miserable people on this board. I drank beers the other day sitting in the sunshine under the cherry blossoms while bald eagles circled above. It was Thursday March 31, sunny and 21 degrees. Only in my British Columbia, and not the hellish shit-hole everyone else seems to live in, I guess.

OK …. so it wasn't warm enough to swim in the ocean yet. So I guess it kinda sucked and made me want to move, just a little … like maybe to Anmore or something. I really need to get more involved with community so I can start bitching about people who do yoga.

April 4, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

maybe I'm the only one, but I have no plans of moving out of NV. Best place on the planet for riding bikes.

:canada: