The Decline of Vancouver.

March 31, 2016, 10:51 p.m.

??? But if the market goes up, then a home will increase in value no matter if it's paid off or not.

To be fair there is definitely something to be said for being mortgage free.

March 31, 2016, 10:55 p.m.

My wife and I bought on the Sunshine Coast in December. Enough of the Vancouver madness. I'm a realtor (yes one of those) and the dream of buying where I grew up (North Van) died long, long, ago. Sadly I make the joke that I feel like I'm a salesman at a Lamborghini dealership. Sure I get to sell some pretty expensive merchandise but the reality of me ever affording what I sell is virtually zero. The prices in the past few months have gotten so out of control they completely defy any logic or reason, and that's saying something considering how out of control things have been since 2008. Very average homes East of Lonsdale selling for $2,000,000+ that just months earlier would have maxed out at $1,400,000. Realistically priced homes in West Van selling for $1,000,000 or more over asking. It's complete stupidity. I've seen most of my closest friends all have to leave the City. Virtually all our families cashing out and buying elsewhere. It was time to get out and set up shop somewhere else and it's already been one of the best things we've ever done. I still need to come to the North Shore 3-4 times a week for work but the fact that I get to leave the insane traffic and grumpy people behind is a pretty incredible feeling.

I knew that I was pretty miserable living in Vancouver but I didn't realize just how bad it really was until we left.

We bought a fantastic home in a great neighbourhood, killer ocean view, forrest and MTB trails out the door, big yard, garage and workshop. Perfect family home for us and our 10 month old son all for the price of a nice-ish newer 1 bedroom apartment in Central Lonsdale.

April 1, 2016, 2:04 a.m.

Traffic in Aukland is 10x worse than Van, and I've only been here a day, holy fuck…

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 1, 2016, 6:18 a.m.

My wife and I bought on the Sunshine Coast in December. …

bring that sweet townie money!! hey welcome to the coast.

April 1, 2016, 12:54 p.m.

bring that sweet townie money!! hey welcome to the coast.

Haha. Thanks. The lack of that sweet townie money is what brought us here. My wife is from Roberts Creek originally and I've been visiting the SSC regularly for 13 years. Absolutely love living here and pinch myself daily. Once things settle down I need to get out and ride.

April 1, 2016, 1:39 p.m.

Haha. Thanks. The lack of that sweet townie money is what brought us here. My wife is from Roberts Creek originally and I've been visiting the SSC regularly for 13 years. Absolutely love living here and pinch myself daily. Once things settle down I need to get out and ride.

Sound investment as once that road from squamish is finished I'm sure you'll see values go up.

April 1, 2016, 2:12 p.m.

Traffic in Aukland is 10x worse than Van, and I've only been here a day, holy fuck…

You went 11,000 km so you could get stuck in bridge traffic heading over to Auckland's North Shore?

And check this out:
Chinese property investment 'just beginning'
I guess a bunch of realtors paid for the study:

" * The findings of the inquiry were that foreign investment, first and foremost, is very good for the domestic economy; it helps create jobs and also it helps create supply.
Secondly, it also adds a lot of supply to the domestic marketplace, which would otherwise not be added.
And third, they found that it actually keeps prices low, because without the foreign investment, there wouldn't be new supply, which would actually drive prices even higher."

Poor Bastards!

April 1, 2016, 3:37 p.m.

Sound investment as once that road from squamish is finished I'm sure you'll see values go up.

Are we talking a quality FSR type road or a two lane (or more) blacktop?

April 1, 2016, 4:13 p.m.

Are we talking a quality FSR type road or a two lane (or more) blacktop?

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/09/sunshine-coast-bridge-metro-vancouver/

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

April 1, 2016, 4:21 p.m.

I've heard through credible sources that a road from squamish is probably going to be what happens. So yeah I would think a hwy like the sea to sky and not a fire road.

April 1, 2016, 6:11 p.m.

My wife and I bought on the Sunshine Coast in December. Enough of the Vancouver madness. I'm a realtor (yes one of those) and the dream of buying where I grew up (North Van) died long, long, ago. Sadly I make the joke that I feel like I'm a salesman at a Lamborghini dealership. Sure I get to sell some pretty expensive merchandise but the reality of me ever affording what I sell is virtually zero. The prices in the past few months have gotten so out of control they completely defy any logic or reason, and that's saying something considering how out of control things have been since 2008. Very average homes East of Lonsdale selling for $2,000,000+ that just months earlier would have maxed out at $1,400,000. Realistically priced homes in West Van selling for $1,000,000 or more over asking. It's complete stupidity. I've seen most of my closest friends all have to leave the City. Virtually all our families cashing out and buying elsewhere. It was time to get out and set up shop somewhere else and it's already been one of the best things we've ever done. I still need to come to the North Shore 3-4 times a week for work but the fact that I get to leave the insane traffic and grumpy people behind is a pretty incredible feeling.

I knew that I was pretty miserable living in Vancouver but I didn't realize just how bad it really was until we left.

We bought a fantastic home in a great neighbourhood, killer ocean view, forrest and MTB trails out the door, big yard, garage and workshop. Perfect family home for us and our 10 month old son all for the price of a nice-ish newer 1 bedroom apartment in Central Lonsdale.

Completely jealous.

I need to grow a pair and leave - tough to do with a business and family ties, but I'm sure we wouldn't be the only ones.

April 1, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

the perfect gig will now be a tele-commuting job cuz everybody will be leaving Vangroovy … it will be the in thing to do!

come to think of it I was ahead of the times, but really just getin away from a marriage that had run its course

April 1, 2016, 8:58 p.m.

holy crap a lot that has been for sale on my street for a looooong time sold today! and traffic already crazy this yr.

April 1, 2016, 9:26 p.m.

A house on my street sold late last year. It's been on the market since I moved to the neighbourhood. Now it's vacant…

I've been caught at the Langdale terminal a few times already this year. Twice??? This will be the summer I slit my throat due to traffic congestion.

If one had little to zero desire or need to travel to VanCity on the reg they'd cash out, load up on toys and move Narth!

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

April 1, 2016, 9:58 p.m.

This has been the busiest the market has ever been on the SSC. We bought at the perfect time. Our house has gone up at least $75,000 since we bought 3 months ago and has already surpassed $500k. The Coast is the only place left where values are reasonable and sadly it's not a secret anymore. If that highway/bridge gets approved (which I finally believe it will) the SSC will turn into a total shit show. Probably cash out of here and move to a small town on the Island :)

The ferry has always acted like a filter to keep most of the delta bravos out of here. We've all seen the madness on the Sea to Sky on a Friday or Sunday afternoon. The Coast would unfortunately be no different.