The Decline of Vancouver.

March 17, 2016, 10:26 a.m.

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/water-restrictions-metro-vancouver-early-2016-1.3393507

I will take water restrictions on lawn watering over what many cities are looking at for the future of their water supply any day. We don't have a lack of water, just a lack of water storage to get us through drier summers. Compared to most cities in the world Vancouver is water rich.

March 17, 2016, 10:29 a.m.

The only thing I can say for certain is that one's opinion on Vancouver's future has a linear correlation with how far away their home is from BC Place.

March 18, 2016, 7:41 a.m.

That 5 ton is sweet!

A dude I ride with did the same with a deuce and a half, and just drove it from Alaska to where he's based now in the continental US.
Would love to build something similar with a Unimog, or US 4x4 or 6x6.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

March 18, 2016, 8:24 a.m.

I will take water restrictions on lawn watering over what many cities are looking at for the future of their water supply any day. We don't have a lack of water, just a lack of water storage to get us through drier summers. Compared to most cities in the world Vancouver is water rich.

There are no guarantees that Van will continue to have wet winters forever, either. The US Southwest (Arizona) and West Coast of south America used to support agrarian societies, but no longer do (this was long before modern climate change).

The problem about being "water rich", is that it makes us too lazy and complacent (like selling it for $2.50 per million litres) to treat potable water as a resource and implement measures for conservation and lowering waste.

March 18, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

Someone needs to grab a brain and put floating solar panels on our three reservoirs. Huge reduction in water loss due to evaporation, and significant power generation as a bonus.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 18, 2016, 8:50 a.m.

That's pretty cool.

March 18, 2016, 8:57 a.m.

Someone needs to grab a brain and put floating solar panels on our three reservoirs. Huge reduction in water loss due to evaporation, and significant power generation as a bonus.

That there is the smartest thing I've ever read.

March 18, 2016, 9:28 a.m.

Japan has three already, and they're building a fourth which will be the largest in the world.

March 18, 2016, 9:41 a.m.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/

I thought this was a pretty good idea.

March 18, 2016, 10:05 a.m.

Yes, I read about the poly balls last year. Definitely a very cheap, effective solution to the evaporation problem.

March 18, 2016, 10:08 a.m.

Wut if the surrounding environment needs that there evaporation

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 18, 2016, 10:16 a.m.

Well, considering that the reservoir itself is not a natural lake, but held back by a man-made dam, I'd suggest that the surrounding environment is more adapted to the narrow river that was originally there. A river would be faster moving (moving water stays cooler than standing water) and have a lot less surface area, allowing for very little evaporation.

March 18, 2016, 10:27 a.m.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/vancouver-housing-market-vulnerable-to-money-laundering/article29285770/

No biggie, they only found issues in 55 of the 80 offices they visited…

March 18, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

There are no guarantees that Van will continue to have wet winters forever, either. The US Southwest (Arizona) and West Coast of south America used to support agrarian societies, but no longer do (this was long before modern climate change).

The problem about being "water rich", is that it makes us too lazy and complacent (like selling it for $2.50 per million litres) to treat potable water as a resource and implement measures for conservation and lowering waste.

Nothing is forever, but don't the models show us having drier summers and wetter winters. It certainly seems to be the case.

IMO, if the PNW runs dry we are all fooked anyway. In the meantime our RE values will stay high.

Also, maybe the Anasazi were just pussies and couldn't handle a little dryness.

March 18, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/vancouver-housing-market-vulnerable-to-money-laundering/article29285770/

No biggie, they only found issues in 55 of the 80 offices they visited…

I heard Christie is in contact with the ex-Iraqi Information Minister Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf.