The Decline of Vancouver.

March 5, 2016, 9:53 p.m.

Basically what I said in earlier posts:

Business partnerships with the generation of Chinese that are disconnected from both China and NA (as in the article).

Products and services that cater to the super rich with lots of time on their hands, particularly tuned to the tastes of the new Chinese immigrant (as in the article.)

Products and services targeted to people who don't live here much.

Taxation structures that benefit the working people who live here full time and are feeling the effects of this speculation/immigration. Consumption taxes that escalate as the spending goes up. Public spending that focuses on the needs of full-time residents.

March 6, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

Business partnerships with the generation of Chinese that are disconnected from both China and NA (as in the article).

Products and services that cater to the super rich with lots of time on their hands, particularly tuned to the tastes of the new Chinese immigrant (as in the article.)

Products and services targeted to people who don't live here much.

Yikes. Sounds like, "Après Ski". I only managed to watch the first thirty seconds of it before barfing in my mouth a little though, so I might be off.

Taxation structures that benefit the working people who live here full time and are feeling the effects of this speculation/immigration. Consumption taxes that escalate as the spending goes up. Public spending that focuses on the needs of full-time residents.

We better do this before the new industries mentioned above blossom into billion dollar multinationals and buy the Municipal and Provincial vote…

Pimping out our land to foreign speculation is not sustainable, nor is it healthy for us. Besides which, it's only a matter of time before we bring back (automated) manufacturing to our shores at which point all China will have is a lot of American debt and a lot of angry citizens…

March 6, 2016, 10:27 p.m.

Yep, if you want to stay in your beloved Vancouver you might want to get involved in politics AND make some dollars off of what's happening. If your city has little industry/commerce of its own and a bunch of rich people than services is what your left with.

Although this stuff is cyclical and unpredictable. China's slowing growth could change the picture significantly. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns back into the impoverished shithole it used to be within my lifetime. Corruption, (semi?) command economy, environmental destruction, reduced consumption in its major markets…doesn't sound like long-term prosperity to me.

March 7, 2016, 6:56 a.m.

Yep, if you want to stay in your beloved Vancouver you might want to get involved in politics AND make some dollars off of what's happening. If your city has little industry/commerce of its own and a bunch of rich people than services is what your left with.

Fortunately there are other sustainable, dare I say burgeoning industries here.

March 7, 2016, 8:07 a.m.

There must be especially on the North Shore. The Traffic heading to the North Shore this morning was 10 times more than the ones headed off the shore to work.
Where do all these people work? I know a percent is headed to Squamish/Whistler, the ferries etc. Its insane, would never have thought growing up on the Shore that we would ever see this. Also the other way around coming home too. That is one shit load of contractors if the study is correct.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

March 7, 2016, 8:13 a.m.

Good thing. I hope the salaries can keep up with the cost of living there.

March 7, 2016, 12:48 p.m.

Where do all these people work? I know a percent is headed to Squamish/Whistler, the ferries etc. Its insane, would never have thought growing up on the Shore that we would ever see this. Also the other way around coming home too. That is one shit load of contractors if the study is correct.

A lot of them are contractors building or renovating homes. Quite a few people work at Port of Vancouver Lynnterm, Seaspan, Vancouver Shipyards Co, Vancouver Drydock and Cargill-Richardson too apparently.

Good thing. I hope the salaries can keep up with the cost of living there.

Vancouver has the lowest median salaries of any major city nationwide. It has never taken compensation to lure suckers here. An average family in St Johns, Nfld makes $20,0000 more a year than one in Vancouver. In Halifax, its $9,000 more.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil107a-eng.htm

March 7, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

There must be especially on the North Shore. The Traffic heading to the North Shore this morning was 10 times more than the ones headed off the shore to work.

Articles about Ironworkers traffic study:
http://journalofcommerce.com/Infrastructure/News/2015/7/Study-investigates-North-Vancouver-traffic-woes-1008900W/

http://www.nsnews.com/news/highway-1-no-longer-making-the-cut-1.1989414

March 9, 2016, 7:07 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11770403

Approx 1% of Vancouver sfd unoccupied. Great idea to use power consumption as an indicator.

March 9, 2016, 8:20 a.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11770403

Approx 1% of Vancouver sfd unoccupied. Great idea to use power consumption as an indicator.

Its a start - I can tell you for a fact that there are plenty empty, high end units in downtown Vancouver that didn't show up on this list.

I personally know of a building with probably over 50% vacancy rate that wouldn't show up on meter readings.

The building manager also acts as a "unit" manager. He routinely makes the rounds in the units, has them cleaned, lights on, fireplaces on, etc. But they remain empty, some of them years at a time.

Not to say that I'm complaining that were at least looking into this, something is better than nothing.

March 9, 2016, 11 a.m.

If the numbers are that low we can then easily implement some substantive tax changes with zero impact.

March 9, 2016, 11:23 a.m.

We've had unsolicited offers to purchase our house left on our front door step.

Former 'wholesaler' lifts lid on a dark side of Vancouver's red-hot real estate market
Woman quit the game for moral reasons, cites ‘elder abuse’

http://www.theprovince.com/business/former+wholesaler+lifts+dark+side+vancouver+real+estate/11771306/story.html

March 9, 2016, 11:31 a.m.

Its a start - I can tell you for a fact that there are plenty empty, high end units in downtown Vancouver that didn't show up on this list.

I personally know of a building with probably over 50% vacancy rate that wouldn't show up on meter readings.

The building manager also acts as a "unit" manager. He routinely makes the rounds in the units, has them cleaned, lights on, fireplaces on, etc. But they remain empty, some of them years at a time.

This sounds like it's worth putting in a letter to City Hall at the very least.

March 15, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

Millennials fleeing Vancouver for cities with more affordable housing, threatening city’s tech economy
http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/mortgages-real-estate/millennials-fleeing-vancouver-for-cities-with-more-affordable-housing-threatening-citys-tech-economy

March 15, 2016, 11:20 a.m.

Yeah, quit bitching about Vancouver traffic and get flown around in your private helicopter instead.

http://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/mortgages-real-estate/how-high-end-vancouver-real-estate-buyers-are-commuting-by-helicopter-to-their-country-mansions