The Decline of Vancouver.

June 15, 2015, 3:38 p.m.

Debate intensifies over Richmond income tax evaders

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Part+Ritzy+Richmond+neighbourhood+where+many+poor/11138504/story.html

June 16, 2015, 9:05 a.m.

Beautiful thing. What else can you do but laugh.

June 16, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Debate intensifies over Richmond income tax evaders

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Part+Ritzy+Richmond+neighbourhood+where+many+poor/11138504/story.html

That link isn't working for me.. looks like they moved it:

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Part+Ritzy+Richmond+neighbourhood+where+many+poor/11136169/story.html

I don't care what your nationality is, if you do this, I hope we find you and charge you ten times what you screwed out of us.

June 16, 2015, 12:16 p.m.

Beautiful thing. What else can you do but laugh.

Well, for starters one can canvas the neighbors and/or do searches on public title listing for these properties and then use the CRA tax evasion reporting system to begin to report them…

… in which you can collect a reward of 5-15% of whatever is collected over 100k, inclusive.

June 16, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

Well, for starters one can canvas the neighbors and/or do searches on public title listing for these properties and then use the CRA tax evasion reporting system to begin to report them…

… in which you can collect a reward of 5-15% of whatever is collected over 100k, inclusive.

Wasn't Fast Orange looking for something to do for the next few months?

Would be a way to start earning Canadian income before he moves back.

June 16, 2015, 4:56 p.m.

A "GIVE US DATA RALLY" is being organized. Seems to me there is momentum building here people. Let's keep it going. Go to the rally, write your MLA, deface a realtor sign with chinese characters, do something!

https://www.change.org/p/premier-christy-clark-mayor-gregor-robertson-mayors-and-city-councillors-of-the-gvrd-restrict-foreign-investment-in-greater-vancouver-s-residential-real-estate-market/u/11107551?tk=mMm-YwLPV_ci5nWEYngFMXeXohgAlTAdL_4ZxqODznQ[HTML_REMOVED]utm_source=petition_update[HTML_REMOVED]utm_medium=email

June 16, 2015, 5:34 p.m.

WE are being played like sheep. We are just peasants until you me your friends, family, gf's, wives etc give a f. and pull our heads out of the grass and say something, keep the conversation going.

Opinion: Call this what it is: tax evasion http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11141340

June 16, 2015, 5:55 p.m.

WE are being played like sheep. We are just peasants until you me your friends, family, gf's, wives etc give a f. and pull our heads out of the grass and say something, keep the conversation going.

Opinion: Call this what it is: tax evasion http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11141340

Recall the $300 million in cuts in 2012 to the Canada Revenue Agency’s enforcement budget, the layoff of 3,000 auditors, and the recent dismissal of 61 of its most experienced auditors able to go after the big international cheats, if only given the resources.

Didn't know about that one. How patriotic our Prime Minister is.

June 16, 2015, 7:22 p.m.

This is gonna hurt like hell.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who has bought in the last 5-7 years and hasnt been slamming down mass cash on their house.

Its gonna suck when your dollars worth of investment only fetches a quarter.

Pastor of Muppets

June 17, 2015, 6:31 a.m.

This is gonna hurt like hell.

I honestly feel bad for anyone who has bought in the last 5-7 years and hasnt been slamming down mass cash on their house.

Its gonna suck when your dollars worth of investment only fetches a quarter.

it think you're off on this.

while i have long believed that foregin investment in vancouver's housing market has put increased pressure on the rising upward movement of land values, i don't think sudden lack of participation in sales by the same group will result in a massive drop in values. there are still many locals wanting to buy single family homes while there is a low supply of such properties.

at minimum i would expect to see a stop in the rate of land values increases and think there would actually be a bit of a decrease which would be more significant at the upper end of the market. if you're thinking you can buy a 2mil westside home today for under 1mil in a year or two i think you're going to be sadly disappointed.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

June 17, 2015, 7:17 a.m.

any home owner who is over leveraged and HAS to move becuz of job/divorce/pick a reason gets hurt when values drop same as it ever was but for a whole generation of Vancover people this has never happened … cuz RE always goes up

June 17, 2015, 7:21 a.m.

Wasn't Fast Orange looking for something to do for the next few months?

Would be a way to start earning Canadian income before he moves back.

He's fluent … maybe he could translate at the interrogations.

June 17, 2015, 5:18 p.m.

some streets in richmond are like ghost towns.. and when the entire block is being landscaped by one guy, something smells fishy (and would smell fishy if ppl lived in these houses)

June 17, 2015, 5:49 p.m.

So in a case where the income earner is living overseas and his family is living here, not working, what exactly are they evading in tax dollars? Forgive me, I'm not up on the legalities of the situation.

June 17, 2015, 6:17 p.m.

So in a case where the income earner is living overseas and his family is living here, not working, what exactly are they evading in tax dollars? Forgive me, I'm not up on the legalities of the situation.

I would say very few here are up to the legalities of the situation.

That said, let's take the extreme example of the above. What if everyone who lived in Canada operated in the same instance as above. How many benefits and services would we receive relative to if we were all taxed as we were in earlier times?

Or perhaps another way would be to ask if it's OK for a middle-income family paying more for services than a family who has a networth an order of magnitude higher?

What I would say to the latter starts with an eff and ends with an uckyou.