The Decline of Vancouver.

May 11, 2015, 6:43 p.m.

Maybe they're just afraid that any white dude they encounter will be as angry and self-serving as you.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 11, 2015, 7:40 p.m.

You guys realize that the treatment plant is actually ON Squamish Nation land, right? Metro Vancouver pays Squamish Nation to lease that piece of property. SN has made a pretty decent income from that lease.

Yeah, by some happy coincidence, there was no land to build on in W Van, but a perfect spot for sewage plant lay downwind of W Van on the 1.7 sq km (Capilano 5) Indian reserve. Was darnedest thing. But they don't want it there anymore. The income from that is probably peanuts compared to the income from Park Royal. The Squamish FN probably collects around $10 million a year just in property taxes on non-FN users of FN land and at least another $10 million from commercial and industrial leases.

May 14, 2015, 7:20 p.m.

Heads up their asses:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/premier-clark-was-asked-the-wrong-question-on-foreign-ownership-of-housing-1.3073486

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

May 14, 2015, 7:30 p.m.

"In terms of a tax on foreign buyers, people who already own homes are I think often a little bit concerned about that idea because it would probably mean a big reduction in the equity they own in the home," she said.

No fucking shit Sherlock! That's the idea you twat.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

May 21, 2015, 11:38 a.m.

Rennie says it's time for everyone to give up on the home ownership dream.

http://www.cknw.com/2015/05/20/vancouver-developer-bob-rennie-on-why-its-time-to-up-the-single-home-dream/

In other news, Rennie has some condos he'd like to sell you.

May 21, 2015, 12:45 p.m.

There is a rally happening in Van on May 24 - on foreign investment and around the online petition thats in the news recently.

https://www.facebook.com/events/419315721574615/

I would love to attend, but ironically I am busy that day moving into my rental b/c I cant afford/aren't stupid enough to buy a house at these prices.

May 21, 2015, 1:27 p.m.

"In terms of a tax on foreign buyers, people who already own homes are I think often a little bit concerned about that idea because it would probably mean a big reduction in the equity they own in the home," she said.

No fucking shit Sherlock! That's the idea you twat.

well there is some legitimacy to that - it would suck to work hard for years and buy a place only to lose 25% of the value overnight

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 21, 2015, 1:28 p.m.

well there is some legitimacy to that - it would suck to work hard for years and buy a place only to lose 25% of the value overnight

I think you mean "value"….

May 21, 2015, 1:40 p.m.

…it would suck to work hard for years and buy a place only to lose 25% of the value overnight

Anyone buying in right now must be aware of the strong foreign element driving the market. That's the risk you take. Buying in at all-time highs has its risks.

May 21, 2015, 5:19 p.m.

Anyone buying in right now must be aware of the strong foreign element driving the market. That's the risk you take. Buying in at all-time highs has its risks.

Which is where the idea for regulations comes in.

Real estate is supposed to be boring.

The issues in Vancouver is the market is so liquid, and trades so often that its quite volatile - both to the upside and down side.

During our little hiccup in 2008, Vancouver was down about 18% on average over little less then a year. Thats a sharper downtrend than any US city experienced, even the hardest hit; Miami, Phoenix, etc.

Some conversation is better than no conversation, its really a quite complicated issue.

Many moving parts to the housing debate here;

- Lack of wage growth
- Lack of housing options
- Foreign buyers
- Land hoarding/vacant homes
- NIMBY's

May 21, 2015, 5:42 p.m.

That's the bit that doesn't really make sense. If your home goes up in value, other homes in surrounding regions are going up at the same rate. If you sell your house "for a profit", and want to keep living in the same area, it's going to cost you your entire selling proceeds to buy a similar house again.

The only way you actually see a benefit of your house's value increase is by picking up your chips and leaving the lower mainland. Very few people do this. The only people actually benefiting from increased real estate prices are developers and realtors.

www.gnarwhale.com

May 21, 2015, 6:31 p.m.

3 sheets came narth and buddy is so fucking happy it almost makes one sick

and me I can't spend the money I got as it is so I duno what i'm gona do when i have to inherit?

May 21, 2015, 6:52 p.m.

That's the bit that doesn't really make sense. If your home goes up in value, other homes in surrounding regions are going up at the same rate. If you sell your house "for a profit", and want to keep living in the same area, it's going to cost you your entire selling proceeds to buy a similar house again.

The only way you actually see a benefit of your house's value increase is by picking up your chips and leaving the lower mainland. Very few people do this. The only people actually benefiting from increased real estate prices are developers and realtors.

if you have a high ratio mortgage where the pricipal is 80% or more of your home's value and the value suddenly drops 25% your mortgage is now more than the value of your home. if you have to sell you could be in a situation where you still owe your lender a significant amount of money after all is said and done.

it would be interesting to know how many people in metro van have mortgages that are at 75% or above of their homes current value.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

May 21, 2015, 6:58 p.m.

if you have a high ratio mortgage where the pricipal is 80% or more of your home's value and the value suddenly drops 25% your mortgage is now more than the value of your home. if you have to sell you could be in a situation where you still owe your lender a significant amount of money after all is said and done.

it would be interesting to know how many people in metro van have mortgages that are at 75% or above of their homes current value.

paging Pedro2005.. yeah hes been wrong for like 10 years.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 21, 2015, 7:05 p.m.

That's a good point, but overall wouldn't you be in a similar situation as mentioned above? You'd have less cash after settling up, but other homes would have also gone down in value at the same rate so you'd still be in the ballpark of buying another. Although I definitely forgot to add banks to the list of benefactors from high housing prices.

www.gnarwhale.com