The Decline of Vancouver.

Sept. 13, 2017, 12:21 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

exporting  anything of value

Resources like, raw logs, eh? Criminal imo.

Sept. 13, 2017, 1:45 p.m.

buddy the woods manager tells me the reason logs get exported is that nobody on this side of the pond would buy  them OR they wouldn't have  been sold overseas but that doesn't sound very sexy on the news

What i mean is a bunch of money got made in property transfers taxes and shit, i could be wrong but that  just looks like taking money from the average guy as oposed to actualy taxing/making something of value

Sept. 13, 2017, 4:12 p.m.

buddy the woods manager tells me the reason logs get exported is that nobody on this side of the pond would buy  them OR they wouldn't have  been sold overseas but that doesn't sound very sexy on the news

Gub'mint could change that w/a stroke of a pen would create industry overnight.

Sept. 13, 2017, 4:29 p.m.

Those of you bitching about Vancouver being an armpit full of traffic are like the rockstar married to the supermodel complaining that her shoes take up a lot of space.

Vancouver is not an armpit. It is spectacularly beautiful.

Its traffic is not great but its far from terrible. I find it closer to no traffic than it is to Toronto traffic.

Crime? I guess in some areas yes. Not different than any city.

Everyone who comes to visit me from out east wants to move here. Without exception.

Vancouver must have been outrageously great before for anyone to be talking about it "declining" to its still awesome levels. If you don't like it here I'm not sure what city you might rather be in. A place in the woods maybe but that's because you don't like cities, not specific to Vancouver.

Sept. 13, 2017, 7:09 p.m.

Vancouver hasn't been "outrageously great" since the Cambie bridge had wooden sidewalks. Remember those?

Sept. 13, 2017, 7:13 p.m.

When have things ever gotten better when more and more people realize how great a finite resource is?

Sept. 13, 2017, 7:52 p.m.

I don't remember much in general but I DO remember when the Barnet hy was gravel

Vangroovy is a great place to visit especialy now with rapid transit so fly in get the 9$ pass, get a cheap hotel in the west end take the train and bus everywhere and its great but I wouldn't want to live here again unless I was making a LOT of money, I would probably have to make 4-5 times as much for the quality of life I have

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 13, 2017, 7:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 13, 2017, 7:57 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Gub'mint could change that w/a stroke of a pen would create industry overnight.

The mill has to cut em and nobody wants to buy em, I don't think the gov could make anybody buy logs that nobody wants to buy

Sept. 13, 2017, 9:08 p.m.

Crispy has said the logs are sold on the open market & anyone can buy them. Another sell out on her behalf. She could have done something about it & defend BC jobs, but the whore that she is said nothing and took the money.
She did the same with the really state market. No rules-happy to take the offshore money while housing continued to be unobtainable for a lot of BC residents who want to buy.
Hopefully Horgan's Heroes don't get into bed with big business like she was. Also hope the NDP does not tax businesses too much & cause them to leave the province.

Thread killer

Sept. 13, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Those of you bitching about Vancouver being an armpit full of traffic are like the rockstar married to the supermodel complaining that her shoes take up a lot of space.

Vancouver is not an armpit. It is spectacularly beautiful.

Its traffic is not great but its far from terrible. I find it closer to no traffic than it is to Toronto traffic.

Crime? I guess in some areas yes. Not different than any city.

Everyone who comes to visit me from out east wants to move here. Without exception.

Vancouver must have been outrageously great before for anyone to be talking about it "declining" to its still awesome levels. If you don't like it here I'm not sure what city you might rather be in. A place in the woods maybe but that's because you don't like cities, not specific to Vancouver.

I think for a lot of people who have a few years behind them (30+) the big disappointment is the pace of real estate inflation. If you're into outdoor sports, Vancouver is no doubt one of the best cities to live in anywhere. Unfortunately though, relatively low real estate prices on a global scale in a safe city with good banking, healthcare, education and a beautiful backdrop means the avg person has been priced out to the point that even finding a place to rent can be an anxiety filled nightmare here. Vancouver has become a city where one needs a $50K plus income minimum to make a reasonable go of it unless you're willing to live like a college student with multiple room mates for the rest of your life. It's totally understandable from that perspective. With you living in a house in West Van you probably don't see that.

Last edited by: syncro on Sept. 13, 2017, 10:14 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2017, 8:05 a.m.

The cost of living in Vancouver also makes my eyes bleed. But it's only that way because people will pay it. Gas 30% or so above Toronto gas prices. Food is more. Car insurance is ridiculous but about the same as it was in Toronto, which was almost 3x what it was the day before I moved there from Ottawa just for changing my postal code. 

The only reason it is that way is because people put up with it. If living in a crap city is financially tight, you move. Even with the horrific cost of living, which I view separately than the city, there are way more people wanting to move here than are leaving due to costs. It's always ranked highly globally for quality of life.

Sept. 14, 2017, 11:37 a.m.

Yep, if you are into outdoor sports and need to live in a city for your career, you cannot beat Vancouver (in Canada). If I wasn't addicted to skiing and mountain biking I would probably move back to Calgary so I could easily afford a house.

Re: raw log exports - the log sorts that are being exported are largely not economical to saw on the coast. If the NDP decides to ban log exports (not sure they even can) it's not like lumber companies are going to decide to spend major capex on new mills to start sawing that trash. I laughed out loud when Horgan basically stated that would be the result. These kind of decisions are margin driven, of course lumber companies want to add value and increase profits.

Sept. 14, 2017, 1:30 p.m.

Posted by: grambo

Re: raw log exports - the log sorts that are being exported are largely not economical to saw on the coast. If the NDP decides to ban log exports (not sure they even can) it's not like lumber companies are going to decide to spend major capex on new mills to start sawing that trash. I laughed out loud when Horgan basically stated that would be the result. These kind of decisions are margin driven, of course lumber companies want to add value and increase profits.

yeah this is what my forestry buds tell me after a few drinks^^ but I couldn't remember the specifics cuz of all the wine, like ferinstance nobody in BC wants to mill hemlock but the mill will get some money for exporting the raw logs

I think the news people don't know whats the fuck either so they print the half of the story that sounds sexy

You in the bidness? I've skied with a couple of these guys (woods manager and a VP) who literally look at a forest and see 2x4's

I've probably written at least once already, in Smithers all the kids left to go to uni or get the fuck away from where they grew up but we are seeing them all come back, I assume because they can't afford the south?

so if they are in teaching/medical/gov/ something professional they can come home where its easy to find a house for 300K, probably walk to work, fishing, hunting , easy access to alpine for pretty cheap /BC/xc skiing  and the parents are stilll here so they hit em up for the free babysitting

Last edited by: XXX_er on Sept. 14, 2017, 1:39 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Sept. 14, 2017, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: Ddean

there are way more people wanting to move here than are leaving due to costs. I

The devil being in the details. "Wanting to" doesn't actually mean they do or that the ones that do are the kind of peeps that contribute to the overall health of city

Are people fleeing Vancouver? Census suggests exit trend becoming a stampede

Population growth in Vancouver is down sharply, which should serve as a "wake-up call" for City of Vancouver officials

http://www.westerninvestor.com/news/opinion/are-people-fleeing-vancouver-census-suggests-exit-trend-becoming-a-stampede-1.10067536

Canadians are leaving Canada’s three largest cities much faster than they are moving to them -- an unexpected fact buried in StatsCan’s data on internal migration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03/01/canadians-leaving-major-cities_n_15080726.html

Last edited by: tungsten on Sept. 14, 2017, 3:02 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Sept. 14, 2017, 4:24 p.m.

Those are some interesting stats, but the first one shows that the population of Vancouver is still growing (albeit at a slower rate, probably as expected), and the second shows that the locals that are leaving are being (more than) replaced by "non-locals" if you consider the first source. Travel of locals only goes one way, out. Its impossible to have "locals" move in. But it does show that people from elsewhere in Canada are not moving here in droves. Realistically, the only City where a normal person could reasonably expect to make the move to Vancouver (or almost anywhere in BC!) is from Toronto where housing prices are also high (although not quite as high as Van). Toronto does have more higher paying jobs but I was surprised to see it rank very poorly in affordability too. I'm a bit surprised that Toronto doesn't even show up as moving to Vancouver at any level. I meet lots of people who just moved here from TO. Myself. My immediate neighbour less than 1 year ago. A few people I work with...... And I just hired a person who has since moved here from Calgary for the job. I'm working to make Vangroovy Great Again!

But generally I agree, forget moving here from anywhere else in Canada  but potentially TO. Ottawa, Montreal, Edmonton...no real chance unless you're looking to rent or the equity out of your old home is not important to purchasing here.

Last edited by: Ddean on Sept. 14, 2017, 4:30 p.m., edited 2 times in total.