The Decline of Vancouver.

March 1, 2024, 7:57 a.m.

its a lot faster in the small town, sometimes there is nobody in emerg

last time it was busy maybe 6 but I was home in 5 or 6 hrs

often you might know the doc

Last edited by: XXX_er on March 1, 2024, 10:32 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 1, 2024, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Get rid of the beaurocracy and improve efficiency.  Some simple procedures, like getting a couple of stitches, take far too much time.

They also don't need to be done by doctors.  I would generally prefer a nurse since they have a bedside manner.  A lot of doctors in hospitals seem too busy to give shit.  I have had a few long ER visits and most of the time wasted was waiting for a doctor to swing by and confirm what the nurse suspected hours earlier.

March 2, 2024, 8:13 p.m.

I would argue that 98% of Vancouver is actually quite pleasant.

March 2, 2024, 9:21 p.m.

You’re part of the problem if you think stitches come from the ER. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wfzaBjcPDW2i5FW9A?g_st=ic

March 2, 2024, 10:27 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

You’re part of the problem if you think stitches come from the ER. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/wfzaBjcPDW2i5FW9A?g_st=ic

I went there maybe a year ago and it was bad.  Lots of people, and a most of them were dingy.  After 3 hours nothing really moved so we left.

A few years ago I cut my finger pretty bad.  It was maybe 11:30pm so I went to the ER.  No one else was there.  At about 5:30am a doctor showed up and put a half dozen stitches in.  So about 6 hours of waiting for less than 5 minutes of the doctor's time.

When the walk-in clinic at Park and Tilford was still a walk-in clinic, it was great.  They were fast, and wait times were reasonable.

March 3, 2024, 7:54 a.m.

I had to get 4 stitches in my finger a few months ago. I went to mt. St. Joseph's and was stitched up with a tetnus shot in less than 2 hours.

March 3, 2024, 9:26 a.m.

Posted by: switch

I went there maybe a year ago and it was bad. Lots of people, and a most of them were dingy. After 3 hours nothing really moved so we left.

A few years ago I cut my finger pretty bad. It was maybe 11:30pm so I went to the ER. No one else was there. At about 5:30am a doctor showed up and put a half dozen stitches in. So about 6 hours of waiting for less than 5 minutes of the doctor's time.

When the walk-in clinic at Park and Tilford was still a walk-in clinic, it was great. They were fast, and wait times were reasonable.

Even in the U.S. walk in clinics are the way to go. One U.S. ER visit, when I finally got checked into a room after cueing up in the lobby on a busy morning, I waited on the table for 4 full hours before a doctor came in. 20 staples to the head, no anesthesia. Another doctor popped their head in the door to say that I'd have to fly out for the accompanying knee injury, ~$600 out of pocket for that "consultation".

Honestly, I've generally had better luck with sports injuries in Canada. Also it's really nice not having that lingering fear of a nefarious hospital fee popping up.

Last edited by: Hepcat on March 3, 2024, 9:46 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
March 3, 2024, 10:28 a.m.

^^^

When a system (or society) is designed around or focused on profit, it's difficult to ensure that people get what they need not just to survive, but to flourish as well.

March 3, 2024, 6:13 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Honestly, I've generally had better luck with sports injuries in Canada. Also it's really nice not having that lingering fear of a nefarious hospital fee popping up.

Be careful when you say that it depends greatly on the province your in.

March 3, 2024, 6:53 p.m.

Alberta, I assume? 😅 

Never managed to visit ER when out of B.C. knock on wood. Sister in Quebec and brother in Ontario though have both had no problems.

March 3, 2024, 11:27 p.m.

Alberta, I assume? 😅 

Never managed to visit ER when out of B.C. knock on wood. Sister in Quebec and brother in Ontario though have both had no problems.

Ontario is a shit show. My personal favourite when went in for three ligaments to be replaced thanks to evil doer. Only found out 60 min before surgery…. Oh your a “day” surgery? Only those who get to stay overnight get a referral to physiotherapy. Nothing said till then about you know this important little tidbit. 

All sorts of little things you find out about that you didn’t know.

March 4, 2024, 10:23 a.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

Posted by: chupacabra

Posted by: Fast-Orange

How does this even happen? Why was someone under it? Where was the control zone? I fear accidents like this are going to get even more frequent due to how overclocked the industry is now.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/oakridge-cambie-street-crane-incident

Ya, it seems like crane accidents are happening all the time lately. Oakridge is a massive site and they have so many controls on everything it is hard to understand how this could happen.

Once you understand that controls and safety programs are put in place to indemnify the company and not to protect the worker, it becomes a little easier to understand how "accidents" happen.

Too bad there aren't enough controls and safety programs though. 

Josh Towsley, a representative of International Union of Operating Engineers Local 115, said the union has been seeking regulatory changes to how tower cranes are operated since the Kelowna crane collapse, but have yet to get answers.

Towsley said he was recently part of a WorkSafeBC consultation process for changes to one part of B.C. tower crane regulations. Stakeholders were not given any information about changes made due to the Kelowna collapse during that process, despite his repeated requests for that information.

“In particular, we’re looking for the licensing of contractors that erect, climb, reposition and dismantle tower cranes, and we’re looking for mandatory training for the people that do that work,” Towsley said.

“There’s no mandatory training that is required in that industry at all; there’s no licensing required for the contractor.”

https://thetyee.ca/News/2024/02/22/Families-Still-Waiting-Answers-Deadly-Kelowna-Crane-Disaster/

March 4, 2024, 11:32 a.m.

Posted by: Endurimil

Alberta, I assume? 😅 

Ontario is a shit show. My personal favourite when went in for three ligaments to be replaced thanks to evil doer. Only found out 60 min before surgery…. Oh your a “day” surgery? Only those who get to stay overnight get a referral to physiotherapy. Nothing said till then about you know this important little tidbit. 

All sorts of little things you find out about that you didn’t know.

Yeah man, you'd know after going through the wringer like you did. Insult to injury literally. Sorry you had to go through that.

My confidence in doctors in general is low  based on my experience up to this point. Had a few really competent, empathetic doctors over the years. Out of dozens. 'What do they call the person that graduates dead last in their medical class?" "Doctor".

U.S. hospitals are the usual incompetent bureaucratic shit show, with the added step of a whopper medical bill. I have top end health insurance, still paid 9k out of pocket when all was said and done after my last knee fiasco.

Oh, the irony. While typing that /\ my (U.S.) hospital called me about my procedure tomorrow to make sure I was able to make the $500 co-pay. 🤦‍♂️

March 4, 2024, 11:53 a.m.

U.S. hospitals are the usual incompetent bureaucratic shit show, with the added step of a whopper medical bill. I have top end health insurance, still paid 9k out of pocket when all was said and done after my last knee fiasco.

Oh, the irony. While typing that /\ my (U.S.) hospital called me about my procedure tomorrow to make sure I was able to make the $500 co-pay. 🤦‍♂️

You probably got it fixed  pretty quick , it took 2 months for the MRI and another 5 1/2 months book the surgeon for an ACL but it was " free "

March 4, 2024, 11:59 a.m.

Please post your complaints about the health care system in the dedicated thread:

What are you doing to protect yourself from our failing healthcare system?

This thread is to complain about Vancouver.